Fireworks at Cinderella Castle

Fifteen Years of Clowning Around with ‘La Nouba’ by Cirque du Soleil

posted on December 6th, 2013 by Darcy Clark, Marketing Manager, Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort

Because of my job, I’ve been fortunate enough to experience “La Nouba” by Cirque du Soleil a handful of times. I’m not sure how, but every time I see it, it feels new and fresh. Though I can hardly believe it, “La Nouba” is about to celebrate 15 years at Downtown Disney.

I recently talked with one of my favorite “La Nouba” acts, Sergey and Balto, the clowns who open the show. They’ve been with “La Nouba” since the beginning, when they were paired up by Gilles Ste-Croix, co-creator of Cirque du Soleil. Even more amazing, Sergey, one clown in the duo, is deaf, while Balto, his other half, is French-Canadian. In spite of the communication barriers, the pair ultimately came up with 120 acts during three months of show prep; Franco Dragone, Cirque’s longtime Creative Director, picked five of them to feature in “La Nouba.” If you’ve seen the show, you’ve seen those acts – they’ve withstood the test of time and still get consistent laughs from the audience.

dsc839322

There are only about 10 performers left from the show’s opening cast. After a decade and a half, the clowns still love it. Balto shared that for him, “It’s a pride. It’s still a pleasure. After 15 years, we still get a standing ovation every show.” Sergey shares the sentiment, “It’s gone by fast. It’s a lot of work, but I still love the performance. This is my dream. For me, there won’t be a retirement … I was born a clown and I’ll die that way.”

Both performers exuded a sincere love for their craft. With 60 years of experience between them, it’s clear that neither can imagine doing anything else. It’s also obvious that they care deeply about one another – their genuine friendship is apparent; it’s real and heartfelt, just like their onstage performances. (If you’ve had the pleasure of seeing “La Nouba,” you no doubt understand).

dsc839881

The official 15th anniversary date for “La Nouba” is December 23, but we’ll celebrate the milestone with a special pre-show moment during the 6 p.m. performance on Wednesday, December 18, 2013. Tickets are still available here, by calling 407-WDW-SEAT or at the Cirque de Soleil Box Office at Downtown Disney West Side.

Have you seen “La Nouba”? If so, I’d love to know which act is your favorite, so please share in the comments below.

Filed: Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

6 Comments 2 Replies Add Yours

Michael from WI on December 6th, 2013 at 11:13 am

I love La Nouba, I’ve seen it 5 times and the Clowns are the best. My favorite act is the Diabolos, those girls are amazing! I also love the toy train.

John on December 6th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Have to agree with the above comment the diabolos act is amazing, been twice in the last two years and still have not seen everything, there is so much going on at one time, it’s a show I could watch time and again.

Darcy Clark on December 7th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Michael and John, agreed … the diabolos act is incredible — and the fact that the performers are so young makes it that much more amazing!

Allan on December 6th, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I also have seen the show 5 times.Each time something different catches my attention.While the show is designed to direct you in one area there is always a second and third side show going on at the same time.

Ginger on December 7th, 2013 at 1:47 am

I have seen La Nouba over a dozen times. It’s fabulous! Every performance is familiar yet new at the same time. While the entire thing is amazing, for me, the aerial ballet in silk is THE MOMENT of the show. When the performer sails above my head…it’s like he’s being born…and flying…it’s indescribable.
The clowns are great as well – the perfect way to get the show going!

Karen from MA on December 7th, 2013 at 7:35 am

My family & I love La Nouba. Even though we’ve seen it a few times, it’s a different experience each time we attend a show. Our last visit in June was especially enjoyable when they picked my son to come up on stage during the bike jump act – loved it!

Darcy Clark on December 7th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Allan, Ginger and Karen — I couldn’t have said it better … it really is an entirely new experience every time I see it! (And Karen, how fun that your son got to be in the show! He’ll never forget that.)

Tony from PA on December 8th, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Love the show nut I think its time for change !!!

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.