Mickey and Friends at Disneyland Park

2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Returns with New Merchandise

posted on January 7th, 2014 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

NMM117731

The 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend returns to Florida from January 8-12, 2014. Before the holidays, I caught up with Mary Myers, merchandiser for events at Disney Theme Park Merchandise. She shared with me a look at many new items created to commemorate this annual runDisney event. I selected a few items to share with you today.

NMM117732

Apparel is some of the most popular items created for the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. This year, Mary introduced a tonal color palette for the various events held during the weekend. There will be new “I Did It” shirts complete with course maps printed on the backside. There will also be new 2014 “Coast to Coast Challenge” shirts available for sale. A variety of Sweaty Bands and Bondi Bands with event logos will also return.

NMM117733

I’m excited about the new Dooney & Bourke handbags created especially for this event. The vibrant, runDisney-inspired artwork features Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy running through a magical course.

There will also be a new Vinylmation “Eachz” figure released that resembles Mickey Mouse in running attire. You may recall that we introduced the “Eachz” concept last fall at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. There are two figures presented in a mystery box. Mickey dressed in yellow is the more common figure to find, while Mickey dressed in green is more rare.

NMM117734

Mary also created four new colorful running tutus complete with the runDisney logo.

NMM117736THUMB NMM117735THUMB

You should also look for additional long-sleeved options and some fun drinkware. I like the mug that has Mickey, Donald and Goofy along with the 2014 Marathon Weekend logo.

Inaugural Dopey Challenge Merchandise Inaugural Dopey Challenge Merchandise

Finally, I have a look at a handful of items created for the Inaugural Dopey Challenge this year. I’m beyond impressed with those who are running 48.6 miles this weekend by participating in the 48.6 miles in the 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon. Wow!

These items will be released at Disney’s Health & Fitness Expo at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The Expo will be open during the following times:

• Wednesday, January 8, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
  • Thursday, January 9, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
  • Friday, January 10, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
  • Saturday, January 11, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

Pete on January 7th, 2014 at 9:07 am

Where’s the Dopey merch?

Jeff on January 7th, 2014 at 9:09 am

No love for Dopey!

Margarita on January 7th, 2014 at 9:20 am

Dopey please…

Michael from FL on January 7th, 2014 at 9:43 am

I really hope you’re holding out on the Dopey Merchandise.

Katie on January 7th, 2014 at 9:54 am

Steven, no mini medals for the vinylmation this year?

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2014 at 10:45 am

@Katie – I did not seen any such medals in the showroom. I will confirm with the Vinylmation team.. Good news! There will be a mini-medal for the Vinylmation figure this year.

Michelle on January 7th, 2014 at 10:14 am

Please tell me there is Dopey merch!! Can you show us some pictures?

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2014 at 10:44 am

@All – At the time I wrote this article, merchandise samples for the Dopey Challenge were unavailable. Good news, however, is that there are plenty of options, and I just had samples delivered to my office this morning! Please stay tuned for some additional looks. Please see the two additional collage images now shown above featuring merchandise for the Inaugural Dopey Challenge. Best of luck to those participating in it!

April on January 7th, 2014 at 10:48 am

Oh my goodness you mean run disney is going on the same weekend as the Craft and Hobby show?! Have mercy, anaheim is going to be crazy this weekend…. Cute merch though :)

Michael on January 7th, 2014 at 10:51 am

Steven, – Do you know if Dooeny & Bourke will be offering a different design this year for the Tinkerbell half Marathon next week?

Ryan on January 7th, 2014 at 11:00 am

Thanks Steven

Bianca on January 7th, 2014 at 11:21 am

Steven – I know these aren’t listed here but do you know what sizes will be available for the RunDisney sneakers?

Susanna on January 7th, 2014 at 11:31 am

Will this Dooney & Bourke design be available at all Run Disney events this year? Or just Marathon weekend?
(And this is also another vote for mini-medals for the vinylmation.)

April on January 7th, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Oops didn’t realize this was a disneyworld event instead of disneyland. Never mind my previous comment ;)

Jennifer from MN on January 7th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Can anyone attend the expo? Is there an entrance fee?

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2014 at 4:32 pm

@Jennifer – Anyone is welcome to attend the Expo; there is no entrance fee. You can see more on this webpage: http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/

Michelle on January 7th, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Thanks so much!! Now I just hope I get to the Expo before it all sells out…

stephanie on January 7th, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Hello Dear Steven,

I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR !

I am really excited by merchandise coming in 2014 !
I am a Duffy Disney bear and Haunted Mansion fan and I enjoy Dooney and Bourke bags !

So I am really happy to read and to see all you show us.

HAVE A MAGICAL YEAR !
Stephanie
from Disneyland Paris (FRANCE)

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2014 at 4:34 pm

@Stephanie – Great to hear from you! Happy New Year to you as well. I hope you are staying warm. :)

Penny on January 7th, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Will there be any Minnie 10K specific items? Like an I did it shirt, etc.

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

@Penny – Yes! There will be a 10K shirt featuring Minnie Mouse.

Deanna on January 7th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I wish Disney would do the preorder. We can’t come until Friday. I want the magnet and the mug or any drinkware. When you have been trianing for so long and wishing to be part of the experience for even longer….you really want to spend the money on things that will always make you remember the experience. I can just picture myself drinking out of the Goofy cup/glass/sports bottle long after the race….and smiling. :)

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2014 at 4:36 pm

@Deanna – Thank you for the feedback. I will share it with the events team. I wish you much success this weekend.

jen on January 7th, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I am hoping to attend next year! Where can I get a “training for 2015″ shirt and water bottle??

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2014 at 4:35 pm

@Jen – All of these items will be sold on a first come, first serve basis at the Disney’s Health & Fitness Expo at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The Expo will be open during the following times:

Wednesday, January 8, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Thursday, January 9, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Friday, January 10, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday, January 11, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

lisa on January 7th, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I would love to see Disney start doing something where they would limit the Official race merchandise and NB shoes to those running the event only for the first 3 days and then open it to everyone else and all the Ebay resellers on Saturday. Makes it so hard when those of us running the races, and especially the inaugural Dopey have to worry that it will be sold out do to resellers.

Bryan on January 8th, 2014 at 9:51 am

Can we see a picture of the ChEAR Squad shirt?

suzanne from CA on January 10th, 2014 at 1:19 am

Hi Steven- Any news on if there will be a new Dooney and Bourke bag for the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon? We have seen the style for the WDW Marathon and the WDW Princess Marathon but nothing for the Tink.

Steven Miller on January 14th, 2014 at 10:52 am

@Suzanne – Please see Michelle Harker’s article that contains a preview of two new bags for the Tinker Bell Half Marathon: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/2014-tinker-bell-half-marathon-returns-with-new-merchandise-at-disneyland-resort/

Stay tuned for a look at the Princess Half Marathon coming up in February.

Chris on January 14th, 2014 at 6:59 am

I really enjoyed the race. But I miss the race specific drinkware. I have collected a “Water glass” for every Disney Race I’ve done (except for the chip & dale relay where there was NO merch) this year is a generic weekend cup and not a dopey one, which is kind of disapointing.

Also, did I miss a change in fashion? when did pollo style shirts stop being made? I would love to be able to wear a Dopey challenge shirt on casual Fridays in the office, but oh well.

Steven Miller on January 14th, 2014 at 10:53 am

@Chris – Glad to hear you had a good time! I will share your feedback with the development team. That’s a great question about the polo style shirts. I know they periodically review all offerings and make changes based on demand, etc.