Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

All In The Details: Sculpting A Seven Dwarfs Mine in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on January 28th, 2014 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

In the months leading up to the unveiling of New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park, we regularly shared bits and pieces of this new land and its amazing detail in our “All in the Details” series here on the Disney Parks Blog. Today, we’re thrilled to share more of these images with you of the final attraction that’s set to debut in this area – Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

ALT227651

In case you aren’t familiar, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a family coaster that will open in 2014 to tell the story of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” from the perspective of the dwarfs. Guests will enter through an interactive queue, take a seat in a mine train car and coast through the mine “where a million diamonds shine” – where plenty of surprises await.

ALT227652

Our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering just shared these new images with us, which showcase some of the smaller elements inside the attraction’s interactive queue area and mine scene. According to them, a lot of the detail you see here was hand-carved by Imagineers – sturdy logs, crumbling bark, rough wood planks, thick beams, smooth rocks and rusty hinges – that all appear to serve as “support structures” for the mine. After each item was carved, they were then painted to look aged and weathered through application of various colors of paint. Some parts have been aged to look older than others. Look closely and you may also notice how the composure of the walls change as the photos push you through the mine – from crumbly rocks on the exterior to more sturdily packed walls inside.

What do you think? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Click on the links below for more on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train from Walt Disney Imagineering:

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Craig on January 28th, 2014 at 9:40 am

I think you need to soft-open this attraction in February!! Can’t wait anymore!

Tom from NY on January 28th, 2014 at 9:56 am

This is looking great. I love the detail. Any chance I might see this in early April during our trip or do I have to wait until our October trip? Thanks …..

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 28th, 2014 at 10:13 am

As soon as we have opening date information to share, we’ll post it on the Disney Parks Blog!

Lisa on January 28th, 2014 at 10:48 am

You think it’s a pretty good chance it will be open when we come in July?? Since we’re only able to come every 5 years, I sure hope so!

Daniel from NE on January 28th, 2014 at 11:28 am

Please let me ride it Feb 13th. I have been good all year.:]

Alberto from ON on January 28th, 2014 at 11:41 am

Incredible work and detail!!! This ride has been anticipated by my three girls and myself since the New Fantasyland construction began! Is there going to be a Snow White themed gift shop?

Michael on January 28th, 2014 at 11:42 am

Jennifer, why is this attraction taking so long to construct? From what I can find, it’s been under construction since mid to late 2012. And now, we’re in early 2014 and we don’t even have a grand opening date. What’s going on?

Annmarie from NC on January 28th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Its amazing how they make it look like aged wood! Such creativity and talent. I’m really looking forward to seeing this ride. Especially after experiencing the details in other areas of New Fantasyland. I’m looking forward to seeing the diamonds and gemstones too!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 28th, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Yes, it sure looks like a LOT of hard work went into creating some of these details. :)

Evanell on January 28th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Another request for Feb! I’m so excited…it looks amazing!

Mark on January 28th, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I sure hope this is open by the time I get there in March. I can’t wait to ride it!!

Nick on January 28th, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I wonder what’s going to open first, Mine train which is getting built from scratch, or Disneyland’s Thunder Mountain that’s getting a refurbishment. :P

Michelle on January 28th, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I’ll be there end of May and really hoping it will be open!

Friend on January 28th, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Snow White should be very proud of her “Merry Men’s” work here.

RoseMarie from NY on January 28th, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I’ll be there Feb 12th and would love to test the ride for them. Thanks!!!! I’m looking forward to it’s opening!!!!

Jocelyn on January 28th, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I think a soft opening in February would be great too!!! Maybe on like say the 25th or so….WINK WINK HINT HINT, that would be a wonderful 10 year anniversary present!!

Robert on January 28th, 2014 at 5:45 pm

We will be there April 4th before boarding the Disney Fantasy. PLEASE say the new Fantasy Land will be open.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 28th, 2014 at 7:16 pm

As soon as we know an opening date, we’ll share it here for sure. Please
keep checking back.

Laura on January 28th, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Feb 13th works for us. It is my daughter’s birthday and she would love to ride it.

Thomas on January 28th, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Rumor has it that the Dwarfs Mine will open late March or early April.

Kristi on January 29th, 2014 at 9:38 am

Please tell me it will be open by April??!! Is this blog the best place to check for an opening date?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 30th, 2014 at 9:11 am

We have the official word on Disney news…I hope to have an update soon. :)

Tiffany from FL on January 29th, 2014 at 11:37 am

We were just there recently and it still looked like it had a long way to go. Just because the outer structure looks put-together, doesn’t mean it’s ready. The ride itself needs to be tested time and time again. Which of course, I don’t mind! Definitely want to make sure it’s in good working order! Meantime, make a point to do Belle’s Storytime (fast pass is necessary). That was literally the cutest thing we did in the whole park!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 30th, 2014 at 9:12 am

Enchanted Tales With Belle is a LOT of fun, even for parents who just watch. My son loved playing “Maurice”.

Carol from MA on January 29th, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Will this be more like Thunder Mountain or Splash Mountain (wihtout the water)?

Jennie from CA on January 29th, 2014 at 6:23 pm

We peeked thru the opening last week during our marathon trip. I’m taking my niece for her college graduation in May so I’m on pins and needles hoping it will be open by then.

We had lunch with a Art Director Imagineer while there and he was SOOO interesting. He told is about all the details that go I to the rides and how the material chosen for Big Thunder had extra gripping characteristics. As we rode it, we tested the backside gripping ability. Lol. It always amazes me all that goes into making Disney and also why it will never have an equal.

Will be watching the blog like a hawk for opening date info. Thanks Jennifer.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on January 30th, 2014 at 9:13 am

I hope to have an update soon, Jennie!

Patricia from OH on January 30th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Count me in the folks hoping for opening soon. Not pushing for a date, just hoping for MidMarch.

Angela on January 30th, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Date please………

Stephen on January 31st, 2014 at 9:27 am

I heard the opening of the ride will coincide with the debut of the new parade at the Magic Kingdom. That date has now been set for sometime in March. Jennifer, do you think they will both happen at the same time? ….one big GRAND OPENING.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 5th, 2014 at 8:58 am

We still do not have an opening date for Mine Train to share. Please stay tuned!

Ruthie on February 2nd, 2014 at 12:20 am

This is very much going to be worth the wait ! It looks great from what you’re showing us

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 5th, 2014 at 8:59 am

Thanks, Ruthie!

Tocarra from GA on February 2nd, 2014 at 12:26 pm

My family and I will be going in May 2014-I hope there is at least a soft opening be then. We have had the opportunity of being right on time for the new experiences on out past trips to Disney World.

jessica on February 7th, 2014 at 5:01 pm

going feb27-march7 and wondering if it will be open…. on Wikipedia it says opening date is feb 18 but is that true?

Erin from CO on February 13th, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Are we getting closer to having an opening date???? Can’t wait to go to Disney in May for our 5 year anniversary!! Hoping we will be able to ride! :)

Katie on February 17th, 2014 at 10:55 am

Okay heres my deal…. I am a huge Disney lover! I want this train to open so I can make Fast Pass plus reservations! I was in WDW this Summer 2013 and the anticipation is just getting to all of us! Perfect this ride already and let us get our Disney on! I’m com8ing in April 2014- Sincerly ready to ride, Katie and Kaitlyn PS: MICKEY LOVES ME!!!!!!!

Mindy on February 23rd, 2014 at 10:00 pm

It would be nice to have this opened by spring break when many people will be visiting!

Christine on March 7th, 2014 at 10:57 pm

ANYONE BEEN HERE AND HAVE AN UPDATE??