Walt Disney World Resort, The Haunted Mansion

Ten Things You May Not Know About Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

posted on January 8th, 2014 by Michelle Baumann, Walt Disney World Public Relations

The beauty of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa is that it is truly timeless. Inspired by the Victorian-era beach resorts built along Florida’s east coast during the turn of the century, the Grand remains the crown jewel at Walt Disney World Resort. The luxury resort opened in 1988, but like a fine wine it improves over time. It magically blends the new – like the Disney Vacation Club Villas, and Senses, a Disney Spa at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort – while remaining true to its opulent theming and heritage we all know and love. I am sure there are plenty of things you already know about this magical and memorable resort. As part of our resort series, here’s a look at the top 10 things you may not know about Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Here’s to making new memories in 2014!

Filed: Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Karen on January 8th, 2014 at 9:55 am

You might want to change the opening date ‘year’ to 1988. I remember seeing the construction of the GF in January 1988.

Kristine on January 8th, 2014 at 10:23 am

Karen….he said 1988.

Sandra from FL on January 8th, 2014 at 11:56 am

Sign me up for a massage! I love the Grand Floridian.

Christopher on January 8th, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I knew… all of these :P But I’ve actually never seen the parasol parade – yet!

Jacqueline on January 8th, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Greetings Michelle,

We have had the honour and pleasure of being guests at Disney’s Grand Floridian and can proudly say that it’s our favourite Walt Disney World Resort hotel!

Witnessing the lovely and enchanting ‘Parasol Parade’ while there on our third visit was just so incredible, we’ll never forget it.

I really enjoyed your post today and look forward to staying at your flagship resort in the near future.

Best regards,
Jacqueline

Nancy from MA on January 8th, 2014 at 7:07 pm

If money were no object……

Jonathan from Cambs on January 9th, 2014 at 5:04 am

My family (wife and 19 year old son) have the luxury and luck to be staying at the Grand Floridian for three weeks this July and August. We have never stayed at such a deluxe resort and we cannot wait. We are in an OUTTP room which i gather is an outer building theme park view but i wonder which building we shall be in – anyone know the best? Lovely video – thank you

Jonathan from Cambs on January 9th, 2014 at 5:06 am

and I forgot to say we are coming from the United Kingdom – so a lot of investment and we are going to forget about daily strifes and just enjoy being a family in the happiest place on earth

Ian on January 9th, 2014 at 10:13 am

My favorite little known fact about the Grand Floridian is that (according to it’s early backstory) The Floridian was built by Merriweather Adam Pleasure, founder of Pleasure Iasland, in 1937 for his wife Isabella for their wedding anniversary! I love the old, intricate and interconnecting backstories that Imagineers put in place!

Nicholas from FR on January 9th, 2014 at 10:50 am

One day I’m going to stay here!

Matthew on January 11th, 2014 at 9:36 pm

My favorite fact about the Grand Floridian? It was the backdrop for Hulk Hogan’s television series “Thunder in Paradise” in the 90s.