Radiator Springs Racers at Disneyland Resort

All in the Details: Exploring A Cartographer’s Map in Prince Eric’s Village, New Fantasyland

posted on February 25th, 2014 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

This week’s “All in the Details” photos were shot in Prince Eric’s Village, a small area that lies just opposite Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid attraction in New Fantasyland. One feature of the cartographer’s shop is a large seafarer’s map on the back wall that features plenty of intricate detail.

Lead-Map

A Cartographer's Map in Prince Eric’s Village, New Fantasyland A Cartographer's Map in Prince Eric’s Village, New Fantasyland

You may recognize some familiar faces in the map’s detail – including Ursula and King Triton. But what about the sea monster and winged beast that are attacking the ships? Have you seen those creatures somewhere before? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Click on the links below for more on New Fantasyland from Walt Disney Imagineering:

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

14 Comments Add Yours

Richard on February 25th, 2014 at 9:08 am

I think I’m mistaken but the monsters sort of remind me of the ones from the map in Maelstrom

Karen on February 25th, 2014 at 9:42 am

Am I spying Elliott from “Pete’s Dragon” and Captain Hook’s arch nemesis, Tick-Tock the Crocodile?

Mark from RI on February 25th, 2014 at 1:25 pm

The dragon looks like Maleficent to me and the sea monster kind of looks like Monstro from Disneyland’s Storyland Boats.

Stephany on February 25th, 2014 at 5:15 pm

The Sea Monster is in the extended Queue for Journey of the Little Mermaid~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure at Magic Kingdom, as well as the monster that is Ursula’s Lair, the Dragon, I’m not sure? Seems like its from Beast’s Castle?

Matthew on February 25th, 2014 at 8:03 pm

The dragon kind of looks like the one that MacBeth and King Arthur fought in the “Pendragon” episode of Disney’s Gargoyles, but I don’t think that’s it, as that’s pretty obscure.

Timothy on February 25th, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Is this a new shop or is this in the snack area across from The Little Mermaid?

Mitchell from IL on February 25th, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Thanks for posting this Jennifer, we’ll have to look for these on our next trip!

Lauren on February 25th, 2014 at 10:21 pm

The creatures/monsters are from the interactive queue for the Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid ride. They are on paintings on the walls in the grotto area just before you board the ride vehicles, along with foreboding warnings/stories of sailors who have encountered them. I really love the detail that the imagineers put in this map. It’s a great way to begin the storytelling before you even get into the queue for the ride. I hope this map stays up for a long time as it is an amazing piece of art.

Timothy–This map is in the new Disney Vacation Club information location situated next to the snack area across from the Little Mermaid ride. It’s designed to look like a cartographer’s workshop. There are some really neat things in it.

Bonnie from FL on February 26th, 2014 at 5:59 am

All of the ships are named after the Disney Cruise Line ships! Cool!

Kelly on February 26th, 2014 at 8:12 am

My first thought for the dragon was the Disney Dragon. Of course there are millions of other possibilities…..

Leisa on February 26th, 2014 at 6:54 pm

It also reminds me of a certain dragon seen flying over Disney World in 2012……

AmyLynn on March 3rd, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Please tell me that copies of the map will be available for purchase. It would be perfect in my Little Mermaid bedroom.

Eric on March 5th, 2014 at 8:39 am

This concerns the new “Under the Sea – Journey of The Little Mermaid” ride.

Max (the sheepdog) is missing from the last scene in the ride(which is very similar to the scene in “The Voyage of the Little Mermaid” at Hollywood Studios), and is itself a scene from the movie.

The sheepdog was to Prince Eric & Ariel as Pluto is to Mickey & Minnie, but he isn’t anywhere on the ride.

Help! Call the pound and let’s find Max…

Eric from NJ on March 5th, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I think they look like Pain and Panic from Hercules.

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.