Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

First Look: D23 Celebrates the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair

posted on February 13th, 2014 by Jeffrey Epstein, Manager, Marketing

As Disney fans from all around the globe know, the 1964-65 World’s Fair in New York was a veritable explosion of Imagineering creativity. Guests marveled at magnificent wonders from “it’s a small world” and the Carousel of Progress to the groundbreaking Audio-Animatronics figure of Abraham Lincoln and Ford Magic Skyway (part of which would become the Primeval World along the Disneyland Railroad).

wff837791

The spring 2014 issue of Disney twenty-three magazine, the publication of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, celebrates Disney’s contributions to the 50th anniversary of this landmark happening. And we at D23 are excited to give Disney Parks Blog readers a first look at a few of the pages from the exciting new issue!

wff889232

In addition, the celebration will continue online in the upcoming weeks as D23 unveils a closer look at the artwork from “it’s a small world’s” Tower of the Four Winds as well as a drive through the Ford Magic Skyway, with an extensive photo gallery.

wff737663
wff938784

Disney twenty-three is available exclusively to Gold Members of D23; D23.com is available to all levels of D23 Members. To learn more about Disney’s official fan club — and to join for free today — visit D23.com.

Tagged:

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Fred from CA on February 13th, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Very cool! I’m looking forward to this issue, should be very interesting.

david on February 13th, 2014 at 4:37 pm

This is all so cool to me as I’m celebrating my 50th year of being here on Earth this year! Its neat to see all that was going on the year I was born and to look back at the beginnings of some of the attractions I loved as a child at Disneyland!

Jeff from OH on February 13th, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Man, would I of loved to been there. I am reading Marty Sklar’s current book, and I am currently in this section of the book, the 64-65 worlds fair. Some real good inside info. I can’t wait to get this issue of D23.

Eric from MA on February 13th, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Every time I hear somebody who hasn’t been there say “So, what’s this EPCOT thing?–Is it ‘educational’, or a theme park, or what?”, I always point out that it was (at least partly) based on Walt’s attempt to recreate the World’s Fair, after working on the ’64 NY.
And then I have to explain what a World’s Fair IS, since there hasn’t been one in North America since 1986-87. :( (There may be another one in a couple of years, but I don’t have plans to go to Dubai.)

So I show them the Disneyland TV episode of Walt at the ’64 World’s Fair. And then they want to go see one.

Ben on February 13th, 2014 at 7:22 pm

As Im based in the UK do you do a digital version of the D23 magazine to purchase?

Steven on February 14th, 2014 at 9:58 am

Can’t wait for this issue! I am very interested in the 1964 World’s Fair, especially Magic Skyway.

Connie on February 14th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I was only 3yrs old when the World’s Fair opened. I did do, but was not impressed; too young to appreciate. My mom did have a scrapbook she made from it. I still have it today.

Pamela on February 14th, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I was there 50 years ago – the second time we went I begged and pleaded with my parents for us to do Carousel of Progress and It’s a Small World again. Knowing we’d never be able to fly to Califorinia Disneland (pre-WDW) they relented. From that moment on I wanted to go to Disneyland so badly. I went to WDW for the first time in February 1973. To this day every time I am there (after 57 times and I lost count) I will visit Carousel of Progress….

Angela from PA on February 15th, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Loved this! My mom attended this fair and has a scrap book filled with photos, brochures and all kinds of mementos from the NY World’s fair. Before our last trip to WDW we got her scrap book out and looked through it. The Carousel of Progress had a whole new meaning for us when we rode it (two times in a row). Seeing her photos and hearing of her experience riding it at the World’s fair gave us a new connection, not only to each other but to Disney as well.