Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

New Disney Movies Anywhere Service Launches

posted on February 25th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Regular readers know that movies inspire attractions at Disney Parks. And today, we’re thrilled to share that you’ll now be able to enjoy your favorite films with an all-new digital movie service and app called Disney Movies Anywhere. It’s free and ready to try.

DIT086446

Debuting with iTunes as its exclusive launch provider, Disney Movies Anywhere is an easy to use, streamlined way to manage and enjoy your digital collection of Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies. When you download the app, you’ll be able to browse, buy and watch your favorite movies on an internet browser, Apple TV or through a free app for your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.

DIT086442

Today’s official launch of Disney Movies Anywhere coincides with the release of the hit film “Frozen” as well as “Thor: The Dark World.” Disney Movies Anywhere is offering more than 400 Disney, Pixar and Marvel feature films, direct-to-video content and hard-to-find classics at launch. New movies will be added frequently.

Also, for a limited time, you’ll receive a free digital copy of Disney•Pixar’s “The Incredibles” when you sign up and connect your iTunes account.

Disney Movies Anywhere App is now available free at AppStore.com/Disney. You can also learn more about the service and sign up at the official Disney Movies Anywhere website.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Bradley on February 25th, 2014 at 1:15 pm

What about using the digital codes for VUDU? Will that still apply?

Thomas Smith on February 25th, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hi Bradley, Digital Codes can still be redeemed through digital retailers including Vudu, but they will not be accessible in the Disney Movies Anywhere ecosystem. Disney Movies Anywhere currently connects with iTunes to offer access to Disney digital content on computers and iOS devices. If you have an eligible Disney, Pixar, or Marvel Digital Copy code that has not expired, you can enter it into the Redeem & Rewards section of Disney Movies Anywhere to add the title to your Disney Movies Anywhere collection.

Rodrigo on February 25th, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Is this for US users only or worldwide?

Thomas Smith on February 25th, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Currently, Disney Movies Anywhere is available to U.S. residents.

Kelly from ON on February 25th, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Is this app available in Canada? Or will it be soon?

Gwen on February 25th, 2014 at 1:42 pm

This is such great service, thanks Disney! When will this blog be getting an app?!

Loren from CA on February 25th, 2014 at 1:44 pm

This is cool! Will this also include Lucasfilm films as well? Or just Disney, Pixar and Marvel (not that I’m complaining)?

Thomas Smith on February 25th, 2014 at 8:06 pm

The Star Wars films are not currently available digitally anywhere.

Gordon from TX on February 25th, 2014 at 2:03 pm

The app is great!! Was wondering if Marvel titles we have digital copies of that predated the Disney take over of Marvel will be able to be used with the app. They (Thor and Captain America)are available now but were not on the DMR list at the time of purchase, but are now.

Thomas Smith on February 25th, 2014 at 8:07 pm

If you’ve purchased or redeemed a digital copy in iTunes, those movies will show up in Disney Movies Anywhere once it’s connected to your iTunes account. Unexpired redemption codes in Blu-rays or DVDs that were distributed by Paramount (such as for Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger) before Disney purchased the distribution rights can be entered into iTunes and will then be available in your connected Disney Movies Anywhere account.

Joseph from CA on February 25th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

This is working great through iTunes on a PC. Every digital copy since 2009 came right up. And thanks for The Incredibles!

Alexes on February 25th, 2014 at 3:10 pm

When is all of this content will be released to Canada?

Michelle on February 25th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

What about Digital copies that im using amazons player not itunes?

Mark on February 25th, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I have the same question as Michelle; what about the digital copies that I’ve purchased through Amazon? It would be great to get everything into a single Disney library (not sure if that will ever be possible at this point).

On a positive note all of the Disney and Pixar films from my iTunes library were brought into the new app without any problems.

Eric from MA on February 25th, 2014 at 8:51 pm

What about Diamond Edition titles that have gone “Back in the vault!”?
I’m seeing all my old 00′s DisneyMoviesOnline titles now show up in iTunes, but would we still be able to watch Snow White, Bambi or Lion King, if we bought the Digital Copy disk editions of those when they were available?

Paul from UK on February 26th, 2014 at 6:27 am

will this be available in the uk soon.

Jessica on February 26th, 2014 at 10:13 am

I noticed that it seems some of my movies that I redeemed through Amazon are available in the Disney Movies Anywhere app, it may because I redeemed the code initially through Disney Movie Rewards.

Amanda on February 27th, 2014 at 6:59 pm

When will this app be available in Canada? We were very excited for it to launch and are now so disappointed we cannot use it in Canada.

Griffin from KY on February 28th, 2014 at 10:18 am

I have a unique experience. I redeemed Thor 2 on the Disney Movies Anywhere site and I also received the option to add it to my vudu library. I can see it but the folks I share my ultraviolet account with cannot. That goes for the other Disney movies I have on vudu as well and were also redeemed using digital copy codes. Any insight on that?

Ricardo from TX on March 4th, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Will titles that have been removed from the itunes icloud be brought back “Beauty and the Beast”, “Lady and the Tramp”, and “The Lion King”. Will these titles be able to stream on apple tv?

kathy on March 7th, 2014 at 7:33 pm

My question is similar to Eric’s. I have dozens of VHS and older DVDs. I wish there was some way to access these digitally. I’m not going to buy all new copies of these movies just to get the code & some of the movies are no longer being sold.

Dustin on March 10th, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Kathy and Eric bring up a good point. “Grandfathering” in VHS/DVD purchasers would be a great move (for Disney and its fans!).

shannon on March 23rd, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I agree with others – It would be nice if we could add our older dvd’s that are now available as digital copies – even if we had to pay a small fee to upgrade to digital copy as well (say like $3 or so). My kids have a lot of Disney DVD’s that we bought before we started going digital and I cant justify re purchasing movies we already have just to get digital copies although we would love to have these as digital copies since we just switched to apple tv for our all tv viewing.

Glenna on April 12th, 2014 at 7:54 am

I am having trouble adding additional movies, I put in the code forum my frozen DVD and it showed it was added but when I went back later the only thing listed was the Incredibles. Can you help.

Luis on April 18th, 2014 at 10:19 am

This a user friendly app that connects to your iTunes account. Of all seven providers, iTunes is the only one that provides audio tracks for movies and shows in other languages, such as Spanish and French. After I discovered this, I switched from VUDU. I hope that the Disney Movies Anywhere ecosystem soon incorporates these tracks and that they work with Disney into adding these option to more movies. I am certain that the millions of families raising bilingual children will be excited to see these enhancements in the future. This a great start for Disney Movies Anywhere. I am can’t wait to see its development over time.

Jason on May 27th, 2014 at 7:23 pm

When will a Disney Movies Anywhere app be available on the xbox 360?
My wife wants to buy Frozen on Vudu, but I’m trying to hold out for Disney app for make it to xbox.

Krystyna from ON on June 13th, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I would really like to know when this app will be available to Canadians! As a DVC member I’m disappointed to find that we can’t access this. Please let us know as we also really enjoy Disney movies north of the border. Thanks!