Disney Cruise Line

Welcome to the Plaza Inn at Disneyland Park

posted on February 4th, 2014 by Shannon Swanson, Public Relations Manager, Disneyland Resort

When I think of the Plaza Inn on Main Street, U.S.A., in Disneyland park, I can virtually smell the fried chicken … yum! However, there’s so much more to this iconic restaurant if you take the time to look around when you stop in. The video below features Steve Valkenburg, who has had the pleasure of working there for more than 30 years, along with historical footage of Walt Disney describing what would eventually become one of his favorite restaurants in Disneyland.

What’s your favorite feature at the Plaza Inn?

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Cast Member Profiles, Disney Dining, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Eric from MA on February 4th, 2014 at 6:19 pm

What would Walt-history do without the Disneyland 10th Anniversary special? :)
Don’t get to DL very often, but always keep wanting to go to Plaza Inn, since it seemed like it was “divided in half” when WDW built the Crystal Palace on one side of Main Street and the Plaza Restaurant on the other.

Fred from CA on February 4th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I love that footage from Disneyland’s 10th anniversary special. The Plaza Inn is a very nice restaurant.

Brian on February 4th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

The Plaza Inn has the best fried chicken!! It is also one of the best values in dining in the whole park…my wife and I can share a chicken dinner and dessert and feel pretty stuffed afterwards! I love how Walt describes the restaurant and all of its details…you can immediately sense his enthusiasm and excitement which is always genuine. Thanks for your imagination, Walt!!

Cory from AB on February 4th, 2014 at 11:22 pm

We only “discovered” the Plaza Inn on our last trip to Disneyland a couple years ago and fell in love with it. The food is great and is a great value (my fiancee loves that she can get pasta there), but the real appeal is the brilliant period decor. I would love to get posters of those paintings in the entryway!

Cory

Chandra from WA on February 5th, 2014 at 7:48 am

Love the old videos of Walt! Thanks for sharing this on the Plaza inn!

Richard from UT on February 5th, 2014 at 8:48 am

I miss the eggs benedict and cinnamon roll french toast that disappeared from the menu after the remodel.

Erin from MD on February 5th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

We eat at the Plaza Inn every time we’re at Disneyland. One of our favourite things to do is have breakfast with Minnie…plenty of characters for the kids & wonderful food for everyone. You can’t beat the fried chicken either…there’s a reason it’s famous. Add to that the incredible detail that the Inn has & it’s like stepping back in time. What’s not to love?

Rama from CA on February 5th, 2014 at 1:59 pm

The fried chicken dinner is a family favorite. We never visit Disneyland without at least one meal at the Plaza Inn. I’ve even stopped at Disneyland on my way between LA and San Diego for business just to pick up a fried chicken dinner to bring home with me as a treat for the family.

Friend on February 5th, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Loved the vintage WED Model Shop footage with Walt and Disney Legends John Hench,Harriet Burns, Leota Toombs and others working about. Plaza Inn was the place to take your date for a good sit down meal and always loved the Victorian design from outside to inside. The entrance sign reminds me of the one at Carnation Plaza Gardens.

Luisa on February 5th, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Gosh… Now I want Plaza Inn fried chicken.

Michael from CA on February 9th, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Loved the article and clip. Not mentioned, though, is the fact that Mrs. Walt Disney helped with the decorating elements, as well. My wife and I always eat at the Plaza Inn while in Disneyland. We always say, “Let’s eat at Mrs. Disney’s!”