Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Bringing Maleficent to Life for ‘Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade’ at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on March 26th, 2014 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

One of the highlights of the new “Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade” at Magic Kingdom Park is seeing Maleficent from “Sleeping Beauty” loom overhead in the form of an enormous, fire-breathing dragon.

FBD986322

We recently sat down with Parade Designer Richard Improta from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment, along with Tony Award-winning Production Designer Michael Curry, to discuss the inspiration behind this show-stopping float and their collaboration that brought Maleficent to epic life on the street.

Have you seen the new parade yet? Tell us what you think of it in the “Comments” section below!

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Jacqueline on March 26th, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Stunning, Jennifer, simply stunning. Beyond that I am completely incredulous!

Jackie

Andrew from FL on March 26th, 2014 at 3:12 pm

We saw the parade on opening day. It is AMAZING! Congratulations and thank you to all who worked on creating the floats and costumes. And the performers are wonderful too! The best parade I’ve ever seen. This one lives up to the hype.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 26th, 2014 at 4:02 pm

What a great review, Andrew. Thanks!

Alyxandria on March 26th, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Any possible chance we could get the concept art that was behind the two masterminds as a background?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 27th, 2014 at 9:17 am

We just shared a special dragon wallpaper on the blog two weeks ago. You can download it here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-wallpapers/

Pamela on March 27th, 2014 at 7:47 am

In a word . . . Fantastic!! We were so impressed with the new floats. DisneyWorld did good. High Five!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 27th, 2014 at 9:17 am

That’s great to hear, Pamela. Thanks!

Mark on March 27th, 2014 at 10:32 am

I saw this parade last week and was absolutely gobsmacked by it. The floats are huge and are more detailed than those I’ve seen in any other Disney parade. The costumes worn by the performers are, in a word, amazing. They are almost theatrical, and again are very detailed.

To me the whole parade seemed to be in Technicolor and was filled with artistry, motion and great Disney music! I’m going back to WDW in June and cannot wait to see this again.

Amanda on March 27th, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I have been looking forward to seeing this since I first heard about it. I jumped for joy when I seen that the opening day was BEFORE my trip so there is no doubt about, I will be sitting front row for this on May 1!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 28th, 2014 at 9:34 am

I hope you have a great time, Amanda!

Lisa on March 28th, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hi there!

How long will this parade run for? We are coming in September and would like to see the float in person.

Thanks

Alyssa on April 2nd, 2014 at 10:13 am

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Deb on April 2nd, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I have never seen anything like this parade. The dragon was unbelievable, it was stunning from start to finish.