Disney Cruise Line

#DisneyKids: First Haircut at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on March 21st, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Some of our favorite stories on the blog involve firsts – whether it’s meeting a character, riding a special attraction or just experiencing the magic of Disney Parks for the first time in a unique way.

bbb748221

In fact, there are so many different firsts to experience at Disney Parks that we’re launching a new series featuring your favorites. And we’re kicking things off today with one that many readers have in common – a first haircut.

Our Harmony Barber Shop at Magic Kingdom Park caters to first haircuts and perform about 10 – 15 a day. Some guests feel it’s a rite of passage to have a first haircut inside the Main Street U.S.A. barbershop, according to the barbers.

The first hair cut experience at the Harmony Barber Shop also includes a sample of your child’s trimmed hair to keep as a memento, a certificate and embroidered Mickey Ears that read “first hair cut.”

Now, it’s your turn. Let us know about what was special, memorable or even life changing about your first trip to the Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort in the comments below and then check back for our new #DisneyKids series.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Melissa on March 21st, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I am so glad to see this post! We are bringing our son on his first Disney trip and he will receive his first haircut, too. His father and I are most excited about the haircut – he looks like a little sheep dog!

Rachel on March 21st, 2014 at 3:32 pm

We did this and it was such a joyful event. Everyone was so nice. We also didn’t know about all the extra stuff they did other than the ears. We are now pregnant with our second one and are trying to figure out how to do this for that one as well.

Christopher from WI on March 21st, 2014 at 3:50 pm

We made a special family trip this past October for our son’s first haircut at Disney World. Us, both sets of grandparents, and all the aunts and uncles were there to celebrate that awesome memory. The barber was spectacular and our boy didn’t cry/fuss/wiggle around at all, and we have those great “First Haircut” Ears, the package with the first lock of hair, and all the pictures/video we took to remember it by.

All of us were so happy to be able to have that special memory at Disney World.

Amber on March 21st, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Do we need to make an appointment ahead of time? I would love to have this for my twin girls when we go in December.

Paul on March 21st, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Way back when I was a little kid, I used to get my hair cut (along w/my dad) at the Alii Nui Barber Shop w/in the Great Ceremonial House (well just outside) at the Poly! Those visits were the few times I remember not minding getting my hair cut as a kid.

Rebekah on March 21st, 2014 at 6:55 pm

A special way to mark this moment. We keep our son’s First Haircut certificate and ears in our collectibles cabinet with a few of our Disney favorites such as the miniature of Disneyland’s Corner Cafe where my husband and I first met and had our first kiss.

Helen on March 21st, 2014 at 9:50 pm

We did this with my daughter for her first hair cut a year ago (she was four and yes her first hair cut so we had to make it special) and it was an awesome experience. Cost was as much as you would pay for a normal hair cut but you get so much more…..priceless memories plus the embroidered ears, certificate and the lock of hair! It was a great father/daughter moment as he got a cut too and some pirate dust in his hair….too funny! The staff is awesome with little ones and were able to keep my daughter entertained and were able to get a straight cut! We did make a reservation because we wanted it to be the first Disney ” must do” we did but I do not think you have to make a reservation. I would not hesitate to do it again even though it wouldn’t be her first! If you are thinking about it, do it, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.

Wendy from CA on March 22nd, 2014 at 10:02 am

So wish they had this at Disneyland! We don’t make it out to Disney World too often but happened to time it right for my daughter – such a magical experience.

Mark on March 28th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

We had both our girls first haircuts at the Harmony Barbershop and it was truly magical! We we even luck enough to have the same gentleman cut their hair even though there was 4 years in between the trips! His name was Micheal and he was awesome with them both! It’s a memory that will last a lifetime!

Elizabeth from CA on March 28th, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Is there a place at Disneyland to do the same thing?

Rhonda on March 28th, 2014 at 9:31 pm

My grandson will be 18 months old and making his first trip to Disney this summer. He will be getting his very first haircut at The Harmony Barber Shop. So exciting. Can’t wait!!

megan on March 31st, 2014 at 7:14 pm

We took our 13 month old twins (a boy and girl) last year to get their first haircut (we did make an appointment before we went). It was so magical to experience and see their transformation with their first hair cut. We were also able to get my husband and his dad’s hair cut as well. We got a generational picture with all of them. The cast members were so nice and great with the kids. This is where we will do all our kids first hair cuts!

Kyle from CO on May 11th, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Both of my Children had their haircut at Disney. We also had Micheal both times! It is so special to have the great pictures and the same cast member in them 3 years apart.