Disney Parks Blog Celebrates the 15th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Global Sing-Along Celebrates 50th Anniversary of ‘it’s a small world’

posted on March 21st, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

As you may have just heard on ABC-TV’s Good Morning America, you’re invited to join a first-of-its-kind, online global sing-along at SmallWorld50.com to celebrate the 50th anniversary of “it’s a small world,” – the classic Disney Parks attraction that opened as a tribute to UNICEF’s work for children around the world at the 1964 New York World’s Fair.

We’ll be celebrating the anniversary on April 10 but we’ve already kicked off the worldwide celebration. People from more than 25 countries, including bagpipers in Scotland, Bollywood movie actors in India, a firefighter in New York City, and members of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, came together to create a first worldwide “it’s a small world” video.

You can participate in this historic celebration by recording and sharing an online video of yourself singing “it’s a small world” on our new global online hub SmallWorld50.com. At the site, you can also create virtual “it’s a small world” dolls to share with your friends. The Walt Disney Company will donate $150,000 to benefit UNICEF in honor of the 50th anniversary of “it’s a small world,” plus $1 for every sing-along video recorded on SmallWorld50.com and another $1 for every virtual doll created on the website, up to $100,000.

On April 10, hundreds of voices from Disneyland Resort in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, Tokyo Disney Resort in Japan, Disneyland Paris in France and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort will come together to sing the unforgettable theme song of the “happiest cruise that ever sailed the seven seas.”

Go share your online video at SmallWorld50.com and keep checking the Disney Parks Blog as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of “it’s a small world.”

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, Walt Disney World Resort

27 Comments 2 Replies Add Yours

Jacqueline on March 21st, 2014 at 9:57 am

Hi Thomas,

My most favourite attraction mainly because of the song and the animatronics are a huge bonus. The last clip was incredible.

Jackie

Thomas Smith on March 21st, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi Jackie, totally agree. Also, keep checking the blog for new related videos and content. Take care.

Maria from NJ on March 21st, 2014 at 10:18 am

Love the idea of this. We always make sure we ride it’s a small world in Disney World. I am one of the people who love this song. Would love to do a video with the kids but the link is not working.

Thomas Smith on March 21st, 2014 at 10:52 am

Thanks, Maria. Try the link now – it’s working for us.

Holly on March 21st, 2014 at 11:04 am

We already had plans to be at the Magic Kingdom for the last day of our vacation (April 10th) so this is going to make it extra special! Will there be more information about the times for the sing along in the park?

Melanie on March 21st, 2014 at 11:05 am

My children and I will upload!!! :) Our family LOVES It’s A Small World!

Katie on March 21st, 2014 at 11:13 am

Awesome video! It’s a Small World is one of my favorite attractions, will there be merchandise avaliable to celebrate the 50th anniversary?

mike on March 21st, 2014 at 11:45 am

I love small world….it’s really a shame it will only be open for 10 days for it’s anniversary and then close back down for another month+ :(

George from NY on March 21st, 2014 at 12:40 pm

it’s a small world is my favorite ride. It’s the favorite ride of my whole family. I grew up overseas, but our official residence was on Coronado. Whenever we came “home,” we went to Disneyland (my mother has been going since 1955). We always rode it’s a small world, so we could see the images of places we’d been. I remember during one visit I made a point of taking a picture of each place we’d been as we sailed the happiest cruise. I’ve ridden all five it’s a small world cruises (most of them many times) and can’t wait to go back and ride again soon. Thank you for many happy memories, Disney!

Kyle on March 21st, 2014 at 12:47 pm

We are planning on being at EPCOT on the 10th. Will there be an in-park celebration at all of the Florida theme parks or just the Magic Kingdom?

Laurene on March 21st, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Great video! I don’t know why, but I got a tear in my eye with the mom singing to her daughter she was holding! Hopefully I can figure out how to make a video and post it. It would be cool because I’m celebrating MY big 5-0 on Monday!

Stanley on March 21st, 2014 at 1:28 pm

My parents say we saw Small World at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York, but I was a small guy. I know my parent’s love this ride. My Dad has a tradition to take a picture of the Hippo on every ride. Makes us smile every time we see our “friend” on the ride!

Katrina on March 21st, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Oh my gosh – I’ll be in Disneyland Paris on the 10th for my birthday!!! Does this mean there will be a public sing-a-long on that day in the park??

M on March 21st, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I was in the International Childrens Choir (with name banners signifying the countries we represented) when Its a Small World opened. We were based in Long Beach, CA and I then lived in Torrance,, CA. I represented the country of Venezuela. I remember the day vividly. In fact, one of the press photos, my sister is visible in. One late night, my daughter and I were watching the Disney channel and they had a video of the opening, and we spotted me, in my yellow costume, going on the ride. Wish I could be there for the 50th anniversary.
Marcia, WA

Sharlene from TN on March 21st, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I rode this at the New York World’s Fair. I loved it then as a child and have loved ever since.

Robert on March 21st, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I clearly remember riding this ride at the 1964 World’s Fair in NY city. I had a record of the “It’s a Small World” song that I played over and over until it drove my parents crazy. I won’t be there for the official birthday, but I will be there in October to celebrate my own 50th anniversary.

Jill Marie on March 21st, 2014 at 5:42 pm

The link takes me to an unresponsive page :(

Krisztina on March 21st, 2014 at 6:32 pm

The link doesn’t seem to be working again.

Ruth on March 21st, 2014 at 9:43 pm

IASW has always been my FAVE ride….4 years ago i went to WDW and my dad asked me if i went on IASW … i said OF COURSE!!!!

Jacob on March 21st, 2014 at 10:15 pm

For some reason on all my devices the link won’t work. Is there something i’m doing wrong?

Heidi on March 22nd, 2014 at 12:40 am

This is so awesome! When I was a little girl and my family would go to Disneyland, I called it my small world. “Daddy,” I would say, “I want to go on my small world!” And now I cry every time I go on the ride, especially at the end when all the children from around the world are dressed all in white and singing. I love it! Happy 50th it’s a small world!!

Joel from NB on March 22nd, 2014 at 9:30 am

What a fantastic celebration!
In 1976 we visited Walt Disney World with our 3 year old son and my parents. It’s a Small World was the first attraction we saw and to this day it brings back the wonder of that special day!

Maria from NJ on March 24th, 2014 at 9:03 am

Nope, link still isn’t working for me.

terri on March 24th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I will celebrate It’s A Small World ride for it’s 50th, on May 28, 2016. It opened in Disneyland May 28/66 & that was the day I was born!

James on March 25th, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Hey Thomas, Do you have a time for the sing along on the 10th? We are going to be at WDW and we didn’t know what time to be there for it!

Kathy on March 30th, 2014 at 1:06 pm

The LINK is NOT working :/ and hasn’t since the many postings. ugh

Leslie on March 31st, 2014 at 3:28 pm

What days are the 50th anniversary celebration, other that the 10th of April?

Dawn on March 31st, 2014 at 6:20 pm

What exactly is taking place in the park on April 10th? I would love to participate, but can’t find any information here on on the Disneyland website???

Taylor on April 21st, 2014 at 10:14 pm

This past january 2014 my boyfriend and I were went on our first vacation to disney. Little did I know on the last day at Magic Kingdom he proposed to me on the ride Its a small world! In the middle of the ride he stood up on the boat and got on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was SO SURPRISED but very happy and said YES. This was his favorite ride growing up and now it is forever apart of a very wonderful memory in both our lives together! I will NEVER forget my first experience on the ride because it was life changing and now it will always be a special ride in both of our lives. I wish we had a video to share with you all…but we do have a picture. Disney is really is a place where dreams come true. Can’t wait to go back.

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.