Disneyland Paris, Phantom Manor

Learn to Draw Disney Characters at Animation Academy at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on March 17th, 2014 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Disney’s Hollywood Studios will mark its 25th anniversary on May 1, 2014. I was lucky enough to visit the park during its opening year and remember being absolutely fascinated by it – especially The Magic of Disney Animation, where you could learn about the process of hand-drawn animation and see firsthand how films are created. Did you know that films like “Lilo & Stitch” and “Brother Bear” were created within this very building?

Today, guests can stop into the pavilion’s Animation Academy and learn how to draw a real Disney character from one of our character artists – and new characters are added to the artists’ repertoires all the time, most recently Anna, Elsa and Olaf from Disney’s “Frozen.” I recently stopped in to check it out. Take a look in the video below.

Oh, and be sure to check the Disney Parks Blog later today for a step-by-step tutorial on how to draw Olaf from “Frozen!”

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

Andrew from FL on March 17th, 2014 at 12:04 pm

What a great video! The Animation Academy is a hidden gem at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I recognize the Castmember, Brian, from our previous visits. He’s one of our favorites! I didn’t know they were offering lessons on drawing Frozen characters. Looks like it’s time for another visit.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 17th, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Sounds good, Andrew!

Laura from FL on March 17th, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I love going to Brian’s classes. He always has some trivia to give about the characters. Advice for when you are going to a class, get there early because there are only a limited number of desks available. Sometimes I have waited 2 or 3 rounds just to get in on busier days.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 17th, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Sounds like you are a big fan! Don’t miss his step-by-step tutorial on how to draw Olaf, too: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/03/do-you-want-to-draw-a-snowman-learn-how-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Cindy on March 17th, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Is FastPass available for this? Do I need to be there early in the day to attend? I have heard great things and I am really looking forward to going…SOON!

Skip from FL on March 17th, 2014 at 11:37 pm

W.D.W. Disney Quest also has an Animation Academy.
Classes there were given by cast member Becky.

Jaime on March 18th, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Is this available in Dland too?