Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from Disneyland Resort Paris

‘Saving Mr. Banks’ Available On Blu-ray Today

posted on March 18th, 2014 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Have you seen the film “Saving Mr. Banks” yet? It’s the story of the unique relationship between Walt Disney and author P. L. Travers and how the film “Mary Poppins” came to be. Our team was lucky enough to celebrate the release of this film back in December with two Disney Parks Blog meet-up events that offered sneak peeks of the film.

MBC086311

To celebrate today’s release of “Saving Mr. Banks” on Blu-ray and Digital HD, our friends at Walt Disney Studios sent us this sneak peek of one the Blu-ray’s special features, “The Walt Disney Studios: From Poppins to the Present,” to share with you. It takes a look at how Walt Disney and his team always looked forward to the next challenge, whether it was a new film or park attraction.

What did you enjoy most about “Saving Mr. Banks”? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Michael on March 18th, 2014 at 11:09 am

I was lucky enough to experience the preview at DHS in December – the scene that I loved the most was when Walt went back to London to convince PL Travers one last time to let him make Mary Poppins. Tom Hanks was a great Walt Disney to begin with, but that scene, in which he told stories about him and his brother, really sold the performance for me. At that moment, he was Walt!! I also enjoyed the ‘Let’s Go Fly a Kite’ sequence that finally won PL Travers over!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 18th, 2014 at 11:13 am

I think those are two of my favorite scenes, as well!

michael from NJ on March 18th, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Can’t wait to pick up my copy today. There doesn’t seem to be a blu ray combo pack. Are there plans to release one?

Eric from MA on March 18th, 2014 at 2:03 pm

As good as Tom Hanks was (and he didn’t seem to be in the film as much as the hype led us to believe he was), since nobody else will, I have to give some props to B.J. Novak as Robert Sherman, the older and more “serious” lyricist of the Brothers.
If you’ve seen the documentary “The Boys”, Robert could be a little more dark and prickly than his brother, and the fact that HE’s the one who’s always standing up to Travers is a perfect bit of real-life depiction in the middle of the movie’s more sentimentalized depictions. Like Richard said in interviews, it’s like watching home movies from ’64.

Jennie from CA on March 18th, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I also saw the preview at DL and I really enjoyed all the parts with the Sherman brothers. They are truly amazing. I love all the timeless songs they created that kids and adults will be singing for so many generations.

Jacqueline on March 18th, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hi Jennifer,

I absolutely loved, loved, loved this movie and have seen it five times. I felt as if I was right there with the characters and couldn’t hold back my tears throughout the whole movie. I, and the rest of the audience were completely captivated!

I picked up my copy today along with Frozen and I’ll be watching and watching them over and over again. I am so happy!

Jackie

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 18th, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I’m happy you liked it, Jackie. It was a great one.

Daniel on March 18th, 2014 at 4:49 pm

My favorite moment was when the Limo driver was speaking to Travers about how he used to worry about his Special Needs daughter’s future and now realizes he has to enjoy his time with her today. My wife and I both broke down and cried because we have an Autistic Son Connor who we worry about everyday. If he will always need help, who will provide that help after we are gone, if he will ever live a normal life. Our son loves Disneyland and got to experience the park before the GAC changes…He wants to go back really soon, but due to the rising costs of admission and the GAC changes, we doubt it will ever be the same.

Louella from CA on March 19th, 2014 at 4:20 am

I loved seeing Disneyland and everyone dressed up so Dapper!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 19th, 2014 at 9:08 am