Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Spotlight on Disney Centerpiece Coming to Marketplace Co-Op at Downtown Disney Marketplace in 2014

posted on March 4th, 2014 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

MCO994411

Today, I’m beginning a series of articles that will highlight the six boutiques coming to the Marketplace Co-Op in Downtown Disney Marketplace at Walt Disney World Resort. You may recall last November that we announced this location that will serve as a testing space for new Disney retail concepts, shops and products. The first boutique I’m showcasing today is Disney Centerpiece, which will contain home products for guests who want a splash of Disney in their everyday lives. I spoke with Dana Harchar from the Global Retail Development team about the hand-crafted display fixtures you will find in this location once the shop opens in a couple of months.

MCO994412THUMB MCO994413THUMB

“Disney Centerpiece will have an eclectic mix of display fixtures for the merchandise,” explained Dana. “The neutral color fixtures will have a well-loved and repurposed feel. I chose a few accent colors that complement some merchandise created for this shop. Hand-made Hoosier cabinets will line the exposed brick walls. My teammate Bert McCumber printed three-dimensional models that we shared with the store operations team and other cast members working on this shop.”

The smaller fixture model shown above that resembles bench swings stacked on crates will house new decorative pillows. While speaking with Dana in her office, she showed me the computer image she created to determine exactly how many pillows that fixture will hold (she even included miniature Orange Bird pillows – awesome!).

MCO994414

The merchandise coming to this location looks amazing; it’s like they pulled these things directly from my brain!

MCO994415

There is an entire new collection of goods inspired by Adventureland and Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room. I love the ceramic Orange Bird figure and the miniature ceramic Dole Whips! The home décor team also made several small plates containing artwork with my favorite word, “Aloha!”

MCO994417THUMB MCO994416THUMB

Several attraction posters from Disney Parks will be included on glassware, small plates and coasters.

Finally, there will be an entire line of retro-inspired merchandise featuring some of the themed lands found at Disneyland park in California or Magic Kingdom Park in Florida. I love the salt and pepper shakers that resemble ride vehicles from the Mad Tea Party attraction.

Look for these items and more when Disney Centerpiece opens at the Marketplace Co-Op in a couple of months. Select items will also be carried on our Disney Parks online store at a future date.

Which items are your favorites? Please share in the “Comments” below.

Filed: Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

65 Comments 27 Replies Add Yours

Samantha on March 4th, 2014 at 11:07 am

Mr Toad, the Tiki Bird four bowls, & the Orange Bird are must buys for me!

Griffin on March 4th, 2014 at 11:12 am

This stuff is awesome! Hope it is open and available when we get down in August :)

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:43 pm

@Griffin – I’m glad to hear you like the items. I hope you have a safe trip and will visit the Marketplace Co-Op.

Tim from PA on March 4th, 2014 at 11:12 am

Steven, the team involved in creating these wonderful items hit the nail on the head! This is the kind of merchandise that I have been looking for for years! I am going to start saving now so that I can buy EVERYTHING. Now, if we can just get some retro Epcot merchandise…

Jennifer on March 4th, 2014 at 11:13 am

Everything is so fantastic I can’t pick one favorite! I love the pillows, especially the orange bird pillow. I’m going to need to buy a big house so that I can have somewhere to put everything. I want it all. I’ll take 2 of everything please :)

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:47 pm

@Jennifer – I couldn’t agree more. I need to start saving for a bigger house. Two of everything for me as well!

Craig from FL on March 4th, 2014 at 11:14 am

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:47 pm

@Craig – I KNOW!!!! :)

Heather on March 4th, 2014 at 11:15 am

I could easily go broke in this store, from the looks of it. I cannot wait for this to open!!!

Steven on March 4th, 2014 at 11:15 am

I am crazy about this new merch! Will it be available at the Disneyland Resort as well?

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:48 pm

@Steven – Great news! Items will also be featured at select Disneyland Resort locations (including the Orange Bird items). We will also carry select items on the online store. Look for these items in the coming months.

Helen from ON on March 4th, 2014 at 11:15 am

Awesome, going to have to save some $$ for souvenirs

Amanda on March 4th, 2014 at 11:24 am

Love it. This exactly the kind of stuff I would like to shop for at WDW. We don’t go to Downtown Disney on every trip, but now I will make sure we stop there on our next trip.

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

@Amanda – How nice! I hope you will stop by once the shop is open. From what I’ve seen so far, it will be a fantastic addition to Downtown Disney Marketplace.

Nicole on March 4th, 2014 at 11:30 am

How WONDERFUL!!! LOVE the Tiki birds! I want one of everything…. Do you have an ETA of when these stores will be opening? Would love to be able to shop there on our next trip.

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:50 pm

@Nicole – Great question. I’ve been told that the shop will be opening in a couple of months. Please know that I will have additional articles featuring the other five boutiques coming soon. I will share the opening date once it is known.

Douglas from FL on March 4th, 2014 at 11:31 am

Love retro look and 20,000 leagues plate pretty cool.

Molly from ID on March 4th, 2014 at 11:34 am

I love this merchandise! Classic, yet contemporary Disney. Hopefully there will be a convenient way to ship it home???

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:51 pm

@Molly – Yes, we will offer shipping at the Marketplace Co-Op. There will also be select items offered on the Disney Parks online store in the coming months. That would be another option for shipping items to your home.

MITCHELL on March 4th, 2014 at 11:34 am

Wow, I love ALL of this stuff. I can’t wait to get an opportunity to check this new store out on our next trip. Hope it’s open soon!

Jonathan on March 4th, 2014 at 11:35 am

As long as these are quality made, this is absolutely a step in the right direction! (Dishwasher safe, unlike Food Wine 2013 glasses…)

Love those Adventureland glasses from the first set of pic’s. What is the Orange bird sitting on? Is that a Tiki Room placemat??

(also, will we have a Flower/Garden post later this week?)

Steven Miller on March 6th, 2014 at 2:51 pm

@Jonathan – I spoke with the home decor team who said that many items will be dishwasher safe. There are a few exceptions like the bamboo plates or the salt and pepper shakers. I invite you to look at the bottom of these items. If something isn’t dishwasher safe, we would indicate that on the item.

Yes, the Orange Bird is sitting on a placemat that will be carried in the shop.

Stay tuned for an article about the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival.

Courtney on March 4th, 2014 at 11:38 am

I couldn’t have chosen a better time to move into a new apartment! These items are going to make me broke when I go to disney world this summer!!

Diane on March 4th, 2014 at 11:44 am

So love all of this. Could use so many of these things for our Disneyland-themed Teacher Appreciation luncheon this year.

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

@Diane – I hope your luncheon goes well. Both my parents were teachers so I greatly appreciate the work that teachers do!

Cheryl on March 4th, 2014 at 11:51 am

Well there goes my wallet!! Going to start saving now!!! Can’t wait it all looks so amazing!!!

shawna on March 4th, 2014 at 11:52 am

Love it!!! Can’t wait for the online sales of the Tiki Room Collection.

Diana on March 4th, 2014 at 11:54 am

This looks great, Steven! I’m looking forward to checking it out this July. I’ve been disappointed in some of the generic-feeling merchandise I’ve seen over the past few years, but some of the more unique merchandise I saw this winter, plus this blog post, have renewed my faith that I’ll find new merchandise to spend my hard earned dollars on!

Nicolette on March 4th, 2014 at 12:02 pm

The pillows! I am going to need one of each! The theme land plates are to die for. In the last picture, what are the castles? Salt and Pepper? Whatever they are, I’m pretty sure I need them. Loving all this new merchandise, I love to make my home feel like I never left Disney Resort!

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

@Nicolette – Those castles are decorative items.

Barbara Daniela from ON on March 4th, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Everyday Disney with style! I adore this new direction.

ricardo on March 4th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Will this merchandise be sold in Disneyland and/or Disney’s California Adventure?

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

@Ricardo – Yes! Items will be sold in select merchandise locations at Disneyland Resort.

Cheryl on March 4th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I really hope they make enough of these items as they are going to fly off the shelves!! I would wait long time in line to get into this store!! Hope it is open in May!!!

Andrea from BC on March 4th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I foresee myself spending A LOT of money in this store. All that merch looks so awesome. Those tiki bird bowls are so cute!

Is there any plan to open a similar store at the Disneyland Resort?

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:55 pm

@Andrea – I don’t know of plans for a similar store, but I do know that the items will also be carried in select Disneyland Resort merchandise locations.

Louis from CT on March 4th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

This is amazing that I almost can’t believe Disney is actually doing this…now let’s just hope they don’t under estimate the demand and only produce a limited amount of each item or price them insanely high. Would be nice to eventually have these available online in some form too. I can’t wait.

Jonathan on March 4th, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I agree with Louis…it will be interesting to see prices. (I’ve seen just a basic t-shirt recently for $39.95, which seems a bit high).

Also, I really hope this merchandise will be exclusive to the Co-op store (and online) and that you can’t find it in EVERY place on property.

Chad on March 4th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Get us old EPCOT Center stuff!

David on March 4th, 2014 at 12:44 pm

That Orange Bird pictured next to the ice cream swirls makes me want to dance my fool head off! Take my money now! *throws money at the screen*

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:56 pm

@David – Ha ha! Yes, I feel the same way.

Ethan on March 4th, 2014 at 12:45 pm

FANTASTIC! My wife is going to want all of this stuff. When does the Co-Op open? May?

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:58 pm

@Ethan – Right now I’ve been told the Marketplace Co-Op will be opening in a few months. I don’t have an exact date. Since this article is the first in a series, please stay tuned. I will be sharing an opening date once it has been identified.

Celia on March 4th, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I love the retro park map pillow and the Orange Bird! I sure hope this store is open in mid-May for my next visit! Which building will this be in at DTD Marketplace?

Just when I thought it was safe to reduce my souvenir budget!

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:59 pm

@Celia – The Marketplace Co-Op will be located next to TrenD at Downtown Disney Marketplace. I hope you have a safe trip!

Madison on March 4th, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Any chance this will be available at Disneyland?

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2014 at 2:59 pm

@Madison – Yes, items will also be carried in select Disneyland Resort merchandise locations.

Barbara from NJ on March 4th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Love the Polynesian logo items. I remember it from our honeymoon there in 1977!

Jacqueline on March 4th, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Greetings Steven,

I am so excited about this new merchandise and cannot wait to add some to my home.
Thank you!

Best regards,
Jackie

Camille from OR on March 4th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I LOVE all this stuff! Please try to make it as affordable as possible so we can buy bunches of goodies!

Karen on March 4th, 2014 at 4:04 pm

There’s just something about the retro Polynesian Disney theme that speaks to me…. It connects me to my childhood and classic Disney. Can’t wait to get some of these new items! Can’t WAIT to get back to Disney World!

Steven Miller on March 6th, 2014 at 2:52 pm

@Karen – I couldn’t agree more! I think that’s why I love collecting tikis and anything with a Polynesian vibe.

Patricia on March 4th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I want it ALL!!! Can’t wait until our trip in May!

valeri on March 4th, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Freaking out over how badly I want most of these items! Can’t wait for our next trip. LOVE!

Hope on March 4th, 2014 at 6:54 pm

One thing I hope Merchandise remembers is that few people have the resources to buy all they want in one vacation. Sometimes it takes a few trips, picking up a few things at a time. Then when the return trip comes it seems like the only things reordered and stocked were the popular items that I would guess many people picked up on their first trip. Then when the next trip comes the nezt group of wanted items aren’t available because they didn’t sell well initially because of how people prioritized and they were discontinued.

Alison on March 4th, 2014 at 6:57 pm

The moment my eyes saw the aloha sign all my happy childhood memories of the Polynesian came flooding back!! I must get something with that on it. Anything with that adorable little Orange Bird is always nice too! Times like this I regret moving from Orlando to Seattle. :)

Steven Miller on March 6th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

@Alison – Right on! But Seattle?! Come on, it’s beautiful out there. I love Snoqualmie just outside of Seattle. I need to visit again.

Kerry on March 4th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

This looks great. I want it all. Love Adventureland and the Polynesian. I really love the Adventureland Pillow.

Patricia on March 4th, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Oh my goodness, the Orange Bird pillow and figurine! Love them! I love all the other products as well. Can’t wait to shop!

Christina from GA on March 4th, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Yay for Mr. Orange Bird!! It’s great seeing him on some new things! I am loving the direction the Co-op is taking!

Bernice from DE on March 4th, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Love it! Especially the Orange Bird. Please make it all available online, not just Select items.
Also we could use some more rabbit merch. Dogs and cats have it all. Oswald has made a recent comeback, so lets see more Brer Rabbit, White Rabbit, Rabbit from Pooh, Thumper and Ms Bunny and Roger!

Bruce on March 4th, 2014 at 11:17 pm

A couple of years ago, I bought a glass at Epcot that was specially made for the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. It was a series of 5 glasses, each one a different themed land. I bought the Tomorrowland themed one because it had a image of the Nautilus on it. Problem was, 20,000 Leagues ride was in Fantasyland, not Tomorrowland. Whomever designed the glasses knew the sub ride at Disneyland was located in Tomorrowland. How soon people forget :)

Amy from PA on March 4th, 2014 at 11:37 pm

YES! This is what Disney Parks merchandise should look like/be!

Steven Miller on March 6th, 2014 at 2:55 pm

@Amy – Thank you for the kind words!

Joseph from MA on March 5th, 2014 at 8:08 am

All the items look great can not wait to get the chance to check out the Co-op. To bad the Disney Store’s don’t have a better selection of items for adults like they had in the past.

Tracy on March 5th, 2014 at 9:47 am

I love the items and look forward to checking out the new store. BUT I was disappointed to see the Team Mickey store was gone. So was my son, who had been saving up his money for a Ridemakerz car for a year! :( I hope you consider bringing this back!

Steven on March 5th, 2014 at 11:37 am

Steven, do you know if these items will be available at the Disneyland Anaheim location? If so, do you know where they might be sold?

Steven Miller on March 6th, 2014 at 2:57 pm

@Steven – Great name :) Yes, items will be carried in select Disneyland Resort merchandise locations once available. I don’t have specifics at this point except that I know Orange Bird merchandise will be found in World of Disney. After all, he makes a cameo in Trader Sam’s at the Disneyland Hotel.

Rachael on March 5th, 2014 at 11:38 am

Please, Please PLEASE tell me this will be open when I am down there at the end of May this year?!

Steven Miller on March 6th, 2014 at 2:57 pm

@Rachael – At this point, we don’t have a confirmed opening date. Once known, I will share details on the Disney Parks Blog.

Lisa from WI on March 5th, 2014 at 11:54 am

I love it all! So excited to see more Orange Bird merchandise to add to my collection! Thanks for sharing!

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.