Star Tours at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Step in Time: A Look Back at the ‘Remember the Magic’ Parade at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on March 31st, 2014 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Just the title of this blog post has this parade’s theme song running through my head, how about you?
A Look Back at the ‘Remember the Magic’ Parade at Magic Kingdom Park

The year 1996 was a memorable one at Disney. It was the 25th anniversary of Magic Kingdom Park, an occasion that turned Cinderella Castle into a giant pink birthday cake, and the “Remember the Magic” parade debuted.

In this procession, Sorcerer Mickey led the way on a special Cinderella Castle-inspired float filled with Disney characters. Ariel and other characters from “The Little Mermaid” appeared in an impressive seashell float, surrounded by dancing fish friends, who would periodically pause and encourage guests to celebrate by dancing along. “The Lion King” also had its own float, which featured Simba, Pumbaa and other characters from the film. Rafiki also walked along the parade path and encouraged young guests to participate in the fun by beating drums.

Do you remember this parade (and its theme song)? Tell us in the “Comments” section below!

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

James from FR on March 31st, 2014 at 9:07 am

This was the first time I visited WDW with my Mum, Dad and sister. We have a ‘Remember the Magic’ Mickey statue still.
I’m coming back this year for my 5th visit, which will also be my Honeymoon.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 31st, 2014 at 11:34 am

Congrats, James!

Patti on March 31st, 2014 at 9:11 am

This is what was going on in Walt Disney World the very first time I went. LOVE

Paul on March 31st, 2014 at 9:15 am

This was the first Magic Kingdom parade I ever saw. I still love watching the video! :-)

Kim on March 31st, 2014 at 9:24 am

I was there! “Re-mem-ber the magic!” The castle as a birthday cake was amazing.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 31st, 2014 at 11:34 am

Yep. It’s in my head again. Thanks, Kim. :)

Anthony on March 31st, 2014 at 9:49 am

I do remember this parade and its Remember the Magic jingle.

Anthony on March 31st, 2014 at 9:59 am

Did the Lion King float end up in the Festival of The Lion King show at Animal Kingdom?

Jonathan from FL on March 31st, 2014 at 10:50 am

Hi! I don’t mean to be that crazy Disney fan, but you said that the parade started in 1996 and that the lion king had come out earlier that year. The lion king was originally released in June of 1994. And if I remember correctly, most of the floats from festival of the lion king were from a parade that was located at disneyland.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 31st, 2014 at 11:37 am

Totally fine – and you’re right, Jonathan. I double-checked the date earlier and thought I fixed that before publishing. It’s correct now.

Stuart on March 31st, 2014 at 11:50 am

Yeah, thanks, now I can’t get the song out of my head. :) It’s funny that you can forget about a song for so long, and then suddenly remember, “25 years of Disney magic. Plenty of sunshine, heading my way…”

Samantha on March 31st, 2014 at 11:53 am

This is one of my first Walt Disney World memories! I remember Cast Members handing out stickers telling you which float you got to dance with and I got to be with the Aladdin float and the Lion King float! Last year, I got “Remember the Magic” tattooed on my right foot with a hidden Mickey dotting the “I.”

Samantha on March 31st, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Yes! Oh my gosh, I was four when I saw this parade and the anniversary Castle on my first visit to WDW. Cannot wait to be coming back next year for my honeymoon.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on March 31st, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I hope you have an excellent honeymoon!

Lilliana from TX on March 31st, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Of course I remember it! It was our second trip to WDW.

This past October when we went as a family, I sat waiting for the parade singing this song. =) I got a few looks from those who never knew of it, but I got some other Disney Vets to smile. Then I turned to my brother and began singing “Mickey Mania!” lol

Disney parade music has a way of never leaving you.

Jason on March 31st, 2014 at 4:21 pm

This parade holds great memories for me, it was running during my college program Spring of 1997. I still remember all the motions!!

Mary on March 31st, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I spent my 50th birthday there – what a wonderful parade and memory – loved the castle all decorated for the 25th Anniversary :)

Tim on March 31st, 2014 at 6:19 pm

This parade had great music. I’ve got it on my phone.

Courtney on March 31st, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I totally remember this song and parade. I sung the lyrics the other day, for some random reason!

I have too many Disney Parks parade, firework, and show lyrics in my head :)

Jeff on April 1st, 2014 at 9:20 am

Great article Jennifer! This parade will always make me think of that special time in my life. That year, 1996, was my first Disney College Program internship. During that first term I worked at Casey’s Corner on Main St. USA and was able to experience that great parade each day. To me, it was one of the best daytime parades ever in the Magic Kingdom. The college programs I did was some of the best times I’ve had in my life. Made great friends and worked for the best entertainment company around. I go back to Disney at least twice a year, but will never forget the time I spent during that special 25th Anniversary celebration as a cast member. Thanks again Jennifer for the article and letting me once again remember a great time in my life.

Paul from IN on April 1st, 2014 at 11:53 am

I loved the cake castle, it was my screen saver for the longest time. The entire celebration was nice. My son wasnt 2 yrs old yet but I still took him. What a wonderful memory, the parade was also fantastic. I am going to be there in June this year, it is my 25th anniversary, my sons graduation from high school and his going away present because he joined the Navy and is leaving in Aug. He is following my footsteps. What better place to celebrate all of that but with a trip to Disney World.I doubt my son remembers that 25th anniversary though. soon he will be making memories of his own there what a magical place to start a tradition.

Paula on April 9th, 2014 at 12:05 pm

This was the first parade I ever saw, as it was my first time at Disney. We have a VHS video of the whole parade! I still watch it sometimes!