'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

Commemorative Merchandise for 25th Anniversary of Disney’s Hollywood Studios Coming May 1, 2014

posted on April 14th, 2014 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

10610397f2 dhs 25 style guide

I recall first visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 1990 during a family visit to Walt Disney World Resort. Since that time, I’ve spent many days at some of my favorite attractions like The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and One Man’s Dream (I practically lived at the latter while serving as a Walt Disney World Ambassador during the 100 years of Magic Celebration). I also have many fond memories of taking my children to Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant, or enjoying the Cobb salad (my favorite!) at the Hollywood Brown Derby. With Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ silver anniversary on May 1, we have created several new items to mark this occasion.

DHS668532

Disney Design Group artists Thomas Scott, Costa Alavezos and John Henselmeier collaborated on the logo design. John told me that the archway near the Disney Junior – Live on Stage! attraction served as their inspiration. Costa contributed the character sketches that remind me of the vignettes found on that archway.

DHS668533
We will release shirts for adults and kids including a classic, black polo-style shirt (I know a few readers have requested such a thing). Guests should also look for a messenger bag, a key chain, and a 12-inch, pre-dressed Duffy the Disney Bear.

DHS668534

The Disney pin team has also created a collection of pins to celebrate this anniversary. You may recall seeing a sneak preview of a jumbo-sized pin back in January. There will also be a limited edition “I Was There” pin, an Annual Passholder exclusive pin and a few other items like a starter set.

DHS668535

My favorite pin item is the mystery pin set that contains a host of characters dressed in various costumes. I love seeing the vintage-looking Donald Duck, Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar. Two randomly selected pins will be found in each mystery box.

All of these items will be released when Disney’s Hollywood Studios opens on May 1, 2014, in Soundstage 1. This temporary merchandise shop will be located between Studio Backlot Tour and Toy Story Midway Mania. All items will be available while supplies last.

The Disney Parks online store will carry the four shirts pictured in this story from May 1-5, 2014. The shirts will ship in 6-8 weeks once orders are completed (express shipping is not available). To order the shirts starting May 1, please visit http://www.DisneyStore.com/ParkEvents.

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

9 Comments 5 Replies Add Yours

Jonathan on April 14th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Yes! Count me in on one who has been asking for polo’s! Is the back of the polo blank? I do wish it had the 25th logo on the front instead of just Hollywood Studios, but I like the subtelty.

Steven Miller on April 14th, 2014 at 4:36 pm

@Jonathan – Glad to hear you like the polo. There is a “25″ in the letter “O” in that polo logo. I agree that subtle sometimes works best.

Kyle on April 14th, 2014 at 4:16 pm

25 years ago it was the Disney-MGM Studios !

Patricia on April 14th, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Do you know how long they plan on having the merchandise? My next trip is in September and I have some wants shall we say.

Steven Miller on April 14th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

@Patricia – That’s a great question. It’s difficult to say what items will be found in September as it will depend upon popularity of things with Guests.

If you are interested in the shirts, we will offering them on our Disney Parks online store from May 1-5, 2014. Visit http://www.DisneyStore.com/ParkEvents starting May 1 to place an order (allow 6-8 weeks for delivery).

Roger on April 14th, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Will there be any Vinylmations for this anniversary?

Steven Miller on April 16th, 2014 at 10:11 am

@Roger – At this point, I don’t know of any plans for Vinylmation figures for the anniversary.

Amanda on April 14th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Hi Steven! I’m really excited about this anniversary – Hollywood Studios is a favorite. I first visited when I was in college in May of 1999 during the 10th Anniversary. I love the previews – I can’t wait to get the AP pin and probably one of those lanyards!

BTW, speaking of pins (I’m sorry for hijacking the thread but I have a question) do you know if Disney is or isn’t releasing a Nurses Day pin this year? Usually it is out this time of year and I have lots of nurse friends who collect these every year so I’ve been on the lookout but no news yet.

Steven Miller on April 16th, 2014 at 10:12 am

@Amanda – Thank you for sharing your story! I spoke with the Disney pin team about your question. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, there won’t be a Nurses Day pin this year. They have one planned for next year. I’m sorry I don’t have better news.

Jonathan on April 15th, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi, Do we know if there is going to be a special Dooney and Bourke for this release?

Steven Miller on April 16th, 2014 at 10:13 am

@Jonathan – There are no plans for Dooney & Bourke items to celebrate the 25th anniversary. There will be other things, however, coming for Dooney & Bourke. Stay tuned :)

Michelle from NC on April 18th, 2014 at 9:17 am

My daughter and I are going to be at WDW May 1, but we have already made early plans for MK. I know you cannot know for sure, but what do you think the chances are that there will still be the “I was there” pin and the Annual Passholder’s pin at, say, 6 PM that same day?

Ethan on April 25th, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I will be ordering the shirts and buying all of the pins. I’ll be there at 9AM! Thanks for this!!

abdul on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Steven
now that the hollywood studios 25th anniversary is over, will the special edition 8 mystery pins be available at other stores in the park?
thanks

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.