Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

New runDisney Anniversary Medals Revealed

posted on April 14th, 2014 by Robert Hitchcock, PR Manager/Content Producer, runDisney

As runners start to plan their fall and winter race schedules, we thought it would be fun to provide some extra motivation and reveal a little “bling.” Disney Yellow Shoes Art Director David Brotherton has been busy designing two amazing finisher medals to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the Wine and Dine Half Marathon and the 10th anniversary of the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge.

WND9764521THUMB WND9764522THUMB

The Wine and Dine anniversary medal captures the essence of the race with color and design, and features a spinner at the heart of the medal. One side represents the tradition of past medals and is inspired by Spaceship Earth, while the other side showcases chef Mickey on the run. A fitting reward to those taking on the sold-out half marathon in November.

WND9764541THUMB WND9764542THUMB

Registration for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon presented by Cigna opens on April 22 and we are thinking this Goofy Challenge anniversary medal might be just enough to get some people thinking a little, well, Goofy. After all, running a half marathon on Saturday and a marathon on Sunday puts you in a unique category. Looking at the medal there is no doubt we are celebrating the 10th anniversary. Featuring traditional Goofy colors, this medal also has a spinner in the middle. One side celebrates the accomplishment of the half marathon, and when you spin it, Goofy turns upside down and lets you know you added on another 26.2 miles, a grand total of 39.3 miles over two days. Goofy.

runDisney is proud of all our finisher medals and think these anniversary medals will excite our runners and be something they will be proud of earning when they cross the finish line.

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

10 Comments 2 Replies Add Yours

George from NY on April 14th, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I can’t wait to see the 10th anniversary medal of the Disneyland Half! I’ve been running that race since it started! It’s my favorite Disney half marathon.

Anastasia on April 14th, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Are these for everyone that finishes the wine and dine half marathon? Its our first time this year!

Robert Hitchcock on April 15th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Anastasia, I am really happy to tell you that these are finishers medals and everyone that crosses the finish line gets one. Good luck with your training and we will see you in November.

Megan on April 14th, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Please tell me you’re going to do something cool for the legacy Wine & Dine runners for the 5-year anniversary! We’ve been dying to hear what to call ourselves (Perfect Winos seems to be the front runner right now!)

Kristen on April 14th, 2014 at 3:51 pm

These are beautiful; I’m hoping to run my first Goofy challenge in January!

Chelsea on April 14th, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I had SO much fun doing Run Disney with Disney SM moms the other day, and I am stoked about the new medals. Thanks for the incredible experience!

Theresa on April 14th, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Those look neat!

Any chance at a preview for the Avengers medals?

Robert Hitchcock on April 15th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Theresa, the race is only seven months away so I am sure we will have something to share soon. Keep following the Disney Parks blog, runDisney.com and @runDisney.

Mark from NY on April 14th, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Awesome. Wine & Dine will be my first-ever half marathon, after I began my adult-onset athletic career last year. But first up: Expedition Everest Challenge! Just a couple of weeks to go….

Christoph on April 15th, 2014 at 10:39 am

This is quite nice you are already talking about next year races… I would although appreciate you’d share news about the races dated nearer like for example the medals of the Disneyland Half Marathon. Thanks!

Kelly from CT on April 16th, 2014 at 9:54 am

I don’t think the Disneyland medal changes that often. Maybe the color scheme and the ribbon. But it’s been the Disney “D” for a while. Seems like the medals stay fairly the same for a few years. Which is nice if you missed a race you want but not too nice if you have all the same lol. Can’t please everyone!

Megan on June 17th, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I love the medals! Who all do you use to make them??

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.