Via Napoli Restaurant, Italy Pavilion at Epcot

Celebrate the Grandest Tales and Tastes of Africa During Harambe Nights at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

posted on May 2nd, 2014 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

HN11

Where were you when “The Lion King” came out in 1994? I was a tour guide at The Magic of Disney Animation at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where several sequences featuring young Simba had been animated. It’s hard to believe, but this summer marks the 20th anniversary of that now-classic film. In honor of the epic tale of “The Lion King,” Disney’s Animal Kingdom is prepared to stage a special celebration event like no other.

HN2

It all begins with a Welcome Reception in the park’s Harambe Village, including mouth-watering appetizers and African-inspired wine and beer. Then it’s time for the ‘mane’ event! Take your seat inside the newly built Harambe Theatre for an unforgettable performance of “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild.” This all-new, never-before-seen theatrical experience features a live orchestra and choir, dancers, digitally projected movie moments, and dramatic lighting and scenic elements – all hosted by a celebrity guest narrator. The show brings to life the humor, heart, and stirring emotional power of Simba’s journey to find his place as the Lion King.

HN3

The lineup of celebrity narrators for “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild” features stars from movies, TV, and Broadway. Those scheduled to appear each night of the event include*:

• June 7 – Viola Davis: “The Help,” “Ender’s Game”
  • June 14 – TBD
  • June 21 – Montego Glover: “The Following,” “Memphis”
  • June 28 – David Alan Grier: “Porgy & Bess,” “In Living Color”
  • July 5 – Michael Beach: “ER,” “Third Watch,” “Sons of Anarchy”
  • July 12 – Harry Lennix: “The Blacklist,” “The Five Heartbeats”
  • July 19 – Joe Morton: “Scandal,” “American Gangster,” “The Good Wife”
  • July 26 – Alfre Woodard: “Desperate Housewives,” “Miss Evers Boys”
  • August 2 – Brian Stokes Mitchell: “Ragtime,” “Trapper John, M.D.,” “Glee”
  • August 9 – Patina Miller: “Pippin,” “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1”

After the show, the celebration continues with the Harambe Nights Street Party, filled with music, characters, and live performers, encouraging everyone to join in and “Go wild!” You can enjoy an all-inclusive buffet of sophisticated and flavorful African cuisine and gourmet desserts. Exclusive Lion King merchandise and collectibles will be available for purchase during the event, and you’ll want to stick around for a special finale to bid “kwaherini” to a magical evening that could only happen at Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

Harambe Nights takes place every Saturday from June 7 – August 9, 2014, with the Welcome Reception starting at 7 p.m. and a 7:30 p.m. show time. Tickets are $119 for adults, $79 for ages 3-9, plus tax. Tickets with premium floor seating are $134 for adults, $94 for ages 3-9, plus tax. Capacity is limited, so you’ll want to go ahead and get your tickets by visiting Disneyworld.com/HarambeNights or calling 407-939-1319.

(*Entertainment subject to change)

Filed: Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

26 Comments 14 Replies Add Yours

Rob on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:29 am

Please extend this into September! Pretty please!

Karen on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:52 am

This sounds terrific!

Shawn Slater on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Karen – I think so, too. In fact, I already got my tickets! Who are you most excited to see as narrator for the show?

Tina on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:00 am

I agree with Rob, but please extend into October!

Maureen from PA on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:59 am

Figures, it begins right after I leave, end of May and ends the day before I go back again in August. This sounds fantastic. and I have to miss it! Wah!

Brian on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:39 pm

So clicking the link takes you to the information about the event. The link on that page to book the Premium seats does not work.

Shawn Slater on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Brian – I checked, and this should be working for you now.

Shawn Slater on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Rob, Tina and Maureen – I’m sorry to hear you’re going to miss it. This is the first time we’ve held an event like this at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, but you never know what the future may hold!

Erin on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Here’s hoping that as AK expands with Avatarland (the new River of Lights announcement looks AWESOME)this will become an annual event, like EPCOT’s Christmas event. *fingers crossed*

Shawn Slater on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Erin – That would be terrific if it did.

Linda from GA on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I got a mysterious email about this a few days ago, because I am an Annual Passholder. I see no mention of AP discount, or any reason why they made mention of it in the email. Anyone know why?

Shawn Slater on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Linda – Sorry, but no discounts are available for this experience.

Barbara on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Of course, I leave 5/21 so I miss this and the 7 Dwarfs.

Nick on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:52 pm

This sounds so amazing ! I just bought my season pass and only live about 20 minutes away from Disney. But, sadly as a poor college kid this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive ! My birthday is the 10th so I would have loved to see Patina Miller.

Shawn Slater on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Nick – It’s going to be pretty great. Maybe you can hint around for an early birthday present! ;-)

Erika from IN on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Just bought our tickets! Can’t wait!!! :)

Lauren on May 2nd, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Can’t get link for premium tickets to work

Scott on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Tickets booked! Very excited, but I just remembered that we won’t have a rental car on our trip. Shawn, do you know if Disney busses will be running to the Animal Kingdom that late for this event?

Shawn Slater on May 3rd, 2014 at 11:34 am

Scott – I’m checking on that for you and will post the answer here when I have it. Thanks for the question!

Shawn Slater on May 3rd, 2014 at 11:57 am

Scott – I’ve just confirmed with my friends at Disney’s Animal Kingdom that Disney resort busses will be available to get you back after the event, so as they say, Hakuna Matata! :-)

Alison on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Wasn’t Montego Glover, who speaks June 21, part of the opening cast at DAK at Festival of the Lion King before becoming famous? I swear she was. This event looks amazing!! I wish I didn’t move so far away to the other coast or I would be buying tickets ASAP!

Shawn Slater on May 3rd, 2014 at 11:26 am

Alison – You’re absolutely right! Montego Glover was part of our Disney family at “Festival of the Lion King” when it opened in 1998, before finding success on Broadway and television.

christina on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Man I sure hope they will continue this… I would love this… I have looked into alot of other tours and such but this by far looks the coolest!!

Carol from ON on May 3rd, 2014 at 8:00 am

As soon as I heard about this I bought tickets! Can’t wait to experience the first “Harambe Nights” on June 7th! I leave WDW on June 8th, so this will be a wonderful ending to my trip :)

Shawn Slater on May 3rd, 2014 at 11:32 am

Carol – It certainly will, and Viola Davis will be a perfect host for your evening!

Honore on May 3rd, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Sounds great. I have some questions. Do you know how long the show will be? Is it 20 min? 40? an hour? How long is the whole event? Is the buffet afterwards like dinner or just snacks? Is it unlimited wine and beer? I know it was mentioned that there is no AP discount, what about DVC or Tables in Wonderland discounts?

Shawn Slater on May 3rd, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Honore – Great questions. “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild” will last approximately 55 minutes. The entire event runs from 7 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. The buffet stations during the Harambe Nights Street Party will offer a variety of substantial selections for dinner. The event ticket price is all-inclusive of entertainment, reception appetizers and drinks, dinner, desserts, and beverages (including wine and beer). Sorry, but there are no discounts available.

dan on May 3rd, 2014 at 4:12 pm

sounds excellent!

Anne on May 3rd, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Super excited and just bought tickets for closing night for my 9 year old daughter and myself. FotLK is our favourite Disney show so this will be a spectacular experience for us. One more question: will beer and wine be available during the dinner part of the reception as well? I can’t imagine it would just be with the appetizers prior to the show, but would like to know. Also, are there specialty non-alcoholic beverages available, as well, other than soft drinks and water? Hoping for an exotic juice mixture.

Shawn Slater on May 5th, 2014 at 8:51 am

Anne – Yes, drinks will definitely be available for dinner during the Harambe Nights Street Party. Our Food & Beverage team is still working out the details of the menu, so I’m not sure yet about specialty non-alcoholic beverages. We hope to get an update from them soon.

Catherine on May 4th, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Just bought my tickets! I can’t believe my incredible luck, this event coincides with my first Disney trip. I’ve been saving for this trip for years and to have an event focused on my favorite movie be available while I’m there is just too awesome! Looking forward to this so much now!!!

Shawn Slater on May 5th, 2014 at 8:52 am

Catherine – You’re coming at a great time. Here’s wishing you a visit filled with joy and magic!

TC on May 4th, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Do you think this is something that would be good for a 7 year old to attend or is this something that is a bit more refined?

Shawn Slater on May 5th, 2014 at 10:43 am

TC – Children are certainly welcome (and there will be kid-friendly items on the menu), but you would be the best judge of whether or not your child would enjoy this event. My wife and I will be making it a date night and letting the kids sleep over with Grandpa and Grandma! ;-)

Gregory on May 6th, 2014 at 11:07 pm

While we can’t make this event, my wife and I will have to have some sort of celebration of our own on 6/24, which will be the 20th anniversary of our first date, when we went to see TLK on opening night.

Shawn Slater on May 7th, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Gregory – Happy Anniversary! No doubt, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” is one of your favorite songs!

tracy from FR on May 8th, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hi
Can you be so kind as to just tell me is the welcoming appetizers and African-inspired wine and beer are included in the price or do you have to pay extra for these also what time does it finish in the evening. and if I am thinking of going on the 14 June ( in the list of performers appearing what is or what does TBD mean
Also could you be so kind as to also tell me how the little girl at the end of the Beauty & The beast show gets the rose. Is it just luck of the draw.
Greetings from England And happiness and Joy to everyone working and visiting Disney World, Florida

lana on May 10th, 2014 at 12:01 am

Hello Tracy,
I believe and Shawn can correct me if I am wrong but TBD means to be determined or announced. The food and drinks are included in the price. I am attending June the 7th. I am thrilled that I saw the information about it just days after if was announced but the more expensive closer seats were already sold out in less than a week. So, book, book, book if you want to go. It is a non-refundable ticket and not inexpensive so be sure you want to attend.

Hello Shawn,
So there will be a full meal which the reservations people don’t know. They only know about the appetizers, drinks and desserts which I’m glad I read your comment because I was planning to come a little hungry but to eat something in advance so I wouldn’t feel unsatisfied by appetizers for dinner. Also any chance that the kiss good night will be a preview of the new AK night time spectacular that was just announced “Rivers of Light”? I am soooo excited. The night is going to be a surprise for my daughter and my friend who will be with me on the trip.

Michelle on May 14th, 2014 at 7:19 am

My husband bought our premium tickets last night; they are selling out fast. Can’t wait to see the new show in the new theater. This will be a magical night!

Erin on June 3rd, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Couldn’t chance hoping that this will become an annual event with the expansion of AK (as I posted earlier)> Managed to rearrange our summer schedule and squeeze in a trip starting 8/6 so we will be able to attend the very last Harambe Nights.

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.