Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park

Disney’s Hollywood Studios Celebrates 25 Years

posted on May 1st, 2014 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Places, everyone! Today, Disney’s Hollywood Studios celebrates 25 years of Hollywood glamour and glitz right in the heart of Florida. Here’s a look at the park’s entrance 25 year’s ago with its original moniker, Disney-MGM Studios, on its marquee.

SOD097864

When the park opened, there were nine attractions for guests to enjoy: Backstage Studio Tour, Catastrophe Canyon, Disney Classics Theater, The Great Movie Ride, The Magic of Disney Animation, The Monster Sound Show, Residential Street, SuperStar Television and Hollywood! Hollywood! at Theater of the Stars. Here’s a unique look at Hollywood Blvd. just prior to opening day.

SOD097865

Still after 25 years of showbiz, there’s always a chance you’ll have a celebrity sighting while visiting the park. (Ok, world-famous character celebrity – but it counts!)

SOD097866

Happy Anniversary, Disney’s Hollywood Studios! Here’s to another 25 dazzling years.

Filed: Disney History, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

7 Comments Add Yours

Nicholas from FR on May 1st, 2014 at 9:56 am

I liked it so much more without the hat!

Bob on May 1st, 2014 at 10:42 am

I loved Disney-MGM Studios and have many fond memories from our family vacations. I remember the original Backstage Studio Tour with Residential Street. I enjoyed the look at how movies are made, back when they used to film stuff at the park. I also recall a short film starring Bette Midler that I believe was shown during the tour. Thanks for sharing more great photos, Nate!

Jeffrey from OH on May 1st, 2014 at 11:33 am

Happy 25th Hollywood Studios.

Love it so much more with the hat!

Jason on May 1st, 2014 at 11:44 am

I still refer to the park as “MGM”, because if I call it “DHS”, no one will know what I’m referring to.

Karen on May 1st, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Yea, “DHS” Sounds like Department of Homeland Security or Department of Human Services. :-)

Adam on May 1st, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Happy 25th Anniversary, Disney’s Hollywood Studios! To those of us that grew up with you, you will always be known as “MGM”, only because of all of the fond memories you have given us and will continue to do so.

On a side note, does anyone else miss seeing Roger Rabbit in the parks?

Thomas on May 1st, 2014 at 2:26 pm

There was so much to love about Hollywood Studios when it first opened. It was kind of thrilling to look straight down Hollywood Blvd. and see the Chinese Theater. I miss that view! I really enjoyed the “Calling Dick Tracy” stage show and then the Pocahontas show in another venue. But the park gets better all the time. Happy Anniversary!!!

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.