Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Opens May 28 at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on May 2nd, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

On Friday, May 2 at Magic Kingdom Park, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs announced that the “crowning jewel” of New Fantasyland, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, will officially open on May 28.

MTL077695

MTT0785452SMALL MTT0785451SMALL

During this morning’s ceremony, Tom was joined by Disney Princess Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs as he invited everyone to celebrate the addition of the final component to New Fantasyland.

“Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is both literally and figuratively the centerpiece of New Fantasyland, so we knew it had to be something special,” Tom said. “The attraction appeals to everyone in the family and provides just the right blend of heart, humor, and thrill while keeping with the charm of this special land.”

The family-style coaster features an innovative new ride system that allows cars to swing back and forth as they travel down the track. The cars are even designed to reflect similar vehicles that appear in the film, handmade of wood by the Dwarfs, shaped by an axe, and used to haul rocks and jewels.

TRAIN345

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train also uses the latest in technology featuring some of the most advanced and charming Audio-Animatronics figures we’ve ever created. Adding to the fun, the journey will be accompanied by music from the film classic and scenes filled with Snow White, the Seven Dwarfs and playful forest critters.

We have much more to share in the weeks before the attraction opens on May 28, so be sure to keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

1 2 3

Kelly on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:41 am

Fully open to guest by May 28! I hope that means there will be soft openings before then. I’m leaving May 26…maybe I’ll just have to extend my vacation!

Cheryl on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:42 am

That’s the week we are going to be there. I’m so super excited! Snow White and the Dwarfs are my five year olds favorite! When will they be offering the fast pass options?

Ginger on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:42 am

anyone else bummed the opening is so late? I’m here now and was hoping to catch the ride later in the week! What a teaser!

Paul on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:42 am

Fine, May 28th… but why dedicate it 26 days before?! Makes no sense! Guess I’ll have to wait yet another year.

Kirsty on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:43 am

So – 28th May! Selfishly, I’m delighted it is before our next trip is over. Is there a date for FP+ availability as yet?

David on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:44 am

When will fastpasses be available for the Mine Train?

Thomas Smith on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Hi David, you’re now able to select FastPass+ for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for May 28 and beyond.

Jesse on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:45 am

I have heard that this will be a FastPass+ attraction. Do you know when guests will be able to select Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for FP+ on the My Disney Experience website?

Matthew on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:46 am

Any thoughts on when FP+ will be available?

Jim from WI on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:49 am

NOOOOO!!! We leave WDW for home on the 25th :( Here’s hoping for a soft opening ride on the mine train I guess.

Paul on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:50 am

Very disappointing the new ride will not be open for the holiday weekend.

Ian from ENGLAND on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:51 am

Excellent news! Any idea when FP+ reservations will go live? We arrive on 31st May – would be nice to know if FP reservations will be available before then…?

Kassandra on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:55 am

I’m all too excited that this attraction will soon be open to all Disney guests! However, I’m also somewhat upset at the fact that I leave just four days before it’s official opening date. :( But I remain hopeful that there will perhaps be a passholder preview while I’m there (05/19 – 05/24). Or I might just make my stay longer (or come back sooner than I had originally planned). ;) Thanks for the SDMT update!

Jennifer from FL on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:58 am

So Bummed. We may just miss it. Will there be any soft openings?

David on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:01 am

Tom’s statement about the opening date during the live stream is that the ride would be “fully open to our guests on May 28th.” Here’s hoping that means a soft start sooner as my family will be there the weekend before that Wednesday.

angel on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:02 am

That great news…. when can we start booking for fastpass?

Laura on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:07 am

I’m so relieved we won’t miss the opening – we fly back home to the UK the day after! And I thought we were being extra safe booking our holiday the end of May for a ‘Spring’ opening! Do you know if/when fasspass+ will be available for the attraction?

My heart goes out to all the people who will miss out on this attraction in the next few weeks – after all the videos, pictures and messages of progress, I was certainly convinced it would have opened after the dedication ceremony. Really disappointing. I experienced the same on our last holiday to WDW, missing the ‘Fall’ reopening of Test Track in December.

Carol on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:10 am

Can’t wait! Just booked two fast passes for our June trip!

Lindsay on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:10 am

Any chance for a soft opening before the 28th? Our trip ends the 27th, and I can hardly bare the idea that we may miss it by just one day! All of the videos and photos are simply beautiful, what a great way to finish the expansion!

Erick on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:14 am

ALREADY GOT MY FASTPASS+!!!

Chris on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:16 am

So excited to hear the opening date as we will be there two days later. When will it be available as a Fast Pass selection?

Stephanie on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:18 am

Fast Passes booked! Thankfully it opens before my mother’s pass hits its first set of blackout dates.

Pat on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:18 am

That is amazing news!!!! So excited. I can’t wait to ride it in November.

Mikey on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:22 am

Will there be any AP Previews, Disney parks Blog meet ups or soft openings? We are supposed to leave for WDW Thursday for ten days. Not sure if we should postpone the trip.

Cheryl on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:27 am

Just booked our fast pass for 5/30 :)

Thomas Smith on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Great to hear, Cheryl.

Katina on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:28 am

Fastpasses are available now! I just got some for our trip!

Stefanie on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:32 am

FastPass+ is already loaded in My Disney Experience. We arrive 5/30 and I have already changed my plans to ride it twice during our trip

Gordon from TX on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:34 am

Oh well…guess we’ll have to wait till our next trip…departing two weeks too soon…..but the good news is we’ll be back in October. Any passholder events prior to the May 28 date?????? Ppppppppllllllleeeeeeaaaaaaassssse!

Courtney on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:36 am

fast passes are available now I just booked mine for opening day!!!!!

Kelly on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:41 am

FP+ is available now! I was able to get one for May 28th!

Jimmy on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:46 am

My FastPass+ is reserved!!! I get to ride a Disney ride on Opening Day for the first time!!! VERY excited!!!

Nicholas on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:49 am

Should we expect any soft openings for DVC or Annual Passholders before then?

Rod on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:54 am

Dedication May 2nd and it doesn’t open until May 28th??? Ugh!!! Why the delay???

Stephanie on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:02 am

Any idea on if they will be doing pass holder previews?

Erin from CO on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:04 am

Not exactly a Spring 2014 opening as promised when the summer kickoff party is May 23rd. That’s disappointing.

David from VA on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:09 am

I just got our FP+ for our stay in June

Angela on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:09 am

I checked and it is already in fastpass+. Will there be any pass holder previews or soft openings before 5/28?

Anthony on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:14 am

i dont think id want the fastpass for my first time around, to my understanding the detail in the line is amazing and worth the time, no?

Amy on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:21 am

I really hope there is a soft opening too! My last day is May 26th and I would be very upset to miss this.

Steven on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:23 am

Already got my FastPass+ Can’t wait!!!!

william on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:27 am

All of Disneyland was built in a year and this ride alone took over 2? We have been hoping to ride this since it was announced and we will miss the opening by two weeks. This is not exactly a spring launch, and the dedication was made over three weeks ahead of opening? Disappointing to say the least.

Jarrod on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:27 am

I honestly am so sad about this opening date.
We spent good money just like others did just so that we could go on this ride and im sure most of us booked our trips in early May due to it possibly opening.
I was praying the opening date was going to be sometime around my trip but I guess May 11th thru the 16th was just too early.

At this point I wouldnt even say its opening in Spring…I think Disney should of gave a date no matter what.
Now for those of us who are going to miss out on this are going to be extremly sad and possibly wont feel that #disney #magic.

I love the parks and i will continue to go but i am really just truly dissapointed.

Jeri on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:29 am

So disappointed it’s not opening til 5/28; will miss it by 4 days! :(

David from VA on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:30 am

We are definitely going through the line but with a FP+ we can ride twice, once seeing everything in the stand-by line and a second time using the FP!

Anonymous on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:48 am

Just got our FPs…they are available :)

Joseph from NY on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:54 am

FastPass+ system is all backed up on the website!

Gordon from TX on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:55 am

Just watched a full ride through video…it looks great…grandsons will love it. First will get to ride it in October…unless you have some sort of soft opening for DVC member, passholder, D-23 member, Chase Card holder or Shareholder…hoping!!

Sheri on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:56 am

Was hoping the official opening date was very soon, especially since the dedication was today. Why did they have the dedication more than 3 weeks before it opens? So disappointed for our family that we will not be able to ride since we leave on 5/18. We will definitely look forward to riding it in a couple more years:(

Melinda on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:13 am

Anyone else not even able to get into the fastpass site?

Thomas on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:19 am

Sorry if this has been answered, but will there be an in-ride photo taken for this ride, like at Space Mountain and Splash Mountain?

B from CT on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:25 am

Ive been trying to get my fastpass for June and the website keep crashing.
i guess everyone is trying too. A downside of the fastpass+
hopefully none of my other fastpass will get lost.

1 2 3