Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Portrait Gallery

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Opens May 28 at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on May 2nd, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

On Friday, May 2 at Magic Kingdom Park, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs announced that the “crowning jewel” of New Fantasyland, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, will officially open on May 28.

MTL077695

MTT0785452SMALL MTT0785451SMALL

During this morning’s ceremony, Tom was joined by Disney Princess Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs as he invited everyone to celebrate the addition of the final component to New Fantasyland.

“Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is both literally and figuratively the centerpiece of New Fantasyland, so we knew it had to be something special,” Tom said. “The attraction appeals to everyone in the family and provides just the right blend of heart, humor, and thrill while keeping with the charm of this special land.”

The family-style coaster features an innovative new ride system that allows cars to swing back and forth as they travel down the track. The cars are even designed to reflect similar vehicles that appear in the film, handmade of wood by the Dwarfs, shaped by an axe, and used to haul rocks and jewels.

TRAIN345

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train also uses the latest in technology featuring some of the most advanced and charming Audio-Animatronics figures we’ve ever created. Adding to the fun, the journey will be accompanied by music from the film classic and scenes filled with Snow White, the Seven Dwarfs and playful forest critters.

We have much more to share in the weeks before the attraction opens on May 28, so be sure to keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates.

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Tracy from FL on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:30 am

Melinda,

Pretty sure FP+ is completely down. I’ve tried getting in on my work computer, iPhone, and iPad to no dice. I’m at Disney the 26 – June 1 and am trying like crazy to get my wife and I on this ride.

Samantha on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:34 am

I too am so disappointed. We are coming on May 11 and seeing the dedication planned for today and knowing people are previewing it and riding it makes no sense why it would officially open so much later. I was so hoping to be able to ride this with my family. Hoping there may be a soft opening.

Michael on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:43 am

My Fastpass+ reservation is made for May 28!! So excited to ride it on the offical opening day!!

Linda on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:49 am

been trying all morning to get online. both app and website down. phone wait is over 60 minutes

Julie on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:07 am

Like everyone else, excited about the opening, but disappointed that we have to wait so long!!! We were there last night and the ride was open for the media. Everyone I asked said they don’t think there will be a passholder event – not enough time. Seems like there are 26 days until opening. Keeping our fingers crossed!

Jarrod on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:21 am

On the disney site it states that “TRAINING BEGINS IN 13 DAYS FOR THE SEVEN DWARFS MINE TRAIN”
What does that mean??
Does that mean soft openings??

Crystal on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:43 am

When is the soft opening for Passholders please and thank you?

If there is not one then with everyone booking it out solid for fastpass + there is no need to bother even trying to go ride it for a long time.

David on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:48 am

Hoping for Pass holder/Soft opening for Star Wars Weekend #1, but not holding my breath I guess.

The “training” message noted above gives a glimmer of hope though!

Justin on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I got in the fastpass + site by going in through my itinerary. I hadn’t been able to get in through fastpass +’s link all morning. Fastpasses confirmed for 6/1/14!!! :)

Melisa on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I’m really disappointed because it’s my first time in Walt Disney World, we travel from Mexico and we can’t go very often. Our trip finish the 24, and we were really hoping that we could ride this attraction. It doesn’t make sense to dedicate the attraction today and open it 3 weeks later. So sad…..

Diane on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:25 pm

You have to keep trying and you will eventually get your fast pass for it. It took me about 6 times to retry and I am all set for our June trip!

Joseph on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:29 pm

YES YES YES – we will be in Magic Kingdom w/reservations at Be Our Guest on May 29th – what timing ;)
Disney Magic Moment just created!

Linda on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:39 pm

it’s not working for me — been trying for over an hour! So frustrating!!!!!!!

Aric from OH on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I agree with Justin in post 62. I have been trying all morning using the FastPass+ link only to get the error. I even called DVC this morning to see if I could get FP+ for this that way and they couldn’t get it to work. I tried via the itinerary option and was able to get 6/9/2014!!! It seemed to still go really slow, but at least it is there! (Could be because I am impatient. I can’t WAIT to ride this ride!)

MARTIN on May 2nd, 2014 at 12:56 pm

We will be there beginning on June 28th celebrating my 60th birthday and our 40th anniversary. Hope we can get advanced FastPass+ passes for the trip.

Barbara on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:29 pm

No! I am in WDW from 5/14-5/21.

shawna on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:50 pm

What kind of coaster is this? Big kids? Little kids? Super fast scary drops? etc…

Robert on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:50 pm

got lucky and fp+ booked! So excited!!!!

Timothy on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Yea! Got my fastpasses for our last day May 29 for our two families of 9. We are pumped! Can’t wait.

Jarrod on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I am heading to the airport to go home :(

Eric from FL on May 2nd, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Missing it by 2 days…oh well. The entire FP+ site is jammed with people trying to make reservations. Sounds like the next Frozen meet and greet situation to me…

Gabe on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I’m there next Thurs-Sun…I’ll keep my eyes peeled for soft openings!

Frances on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Like so many other people, we are bitterly disappointed about this ride not opening until the end of May, as we booked our trip for 2 weeks in May, figuring that Fantasyland would be complete, but will leave before the attraction is open. I truly hope that we will still get the opportunity to try this ride as part of the soft opening. It’s my husband’s 60th birthday celebration and my sister is flying in form the UK to be with us. I really feel for everyone who has had their hopes dashed.

Phyllis from ON on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Are you serious? We fly back to Canada on the 27th!! We only come every 4 years so this is not good news as we planned it on purpose around this ride.

Alana on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I can’t believe it won’t be open for the 24 hour day! When we book, we thought ‘no way they won’t have the ride open for this huge event’. Leaving on the 27th :(

Chris on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:46 pm

It has been a magical day in our house. Got fastpasses for June 3rd and our Magic bands arrived today!

Derek on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Just tried to get FP+ for June 1. Already saying the only thing available is Standby. Those went quickly!

Michelle on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I’m just a little sad that our Magical trip in May didn’t time well with the May 28th opening. We had planned to be there to catch a Spring opening and thought for sure spring would include Mother’s Day weekend. Snow White is a mother at heart! We had our first trip to Disney in March 2013 and we were so excited and inspired by the construction on this ride that we planned our return one year ago.

Matt on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:31 pm

My assumption was that the ride and waiting area were good to go based on the progress that was being posted this week. My wife and I are surprising my 7 and 4 year old kids with a trip to WDW next week, so while the kids are still going to have a great time, it’s a little deflating that there’s one less ride that we are all tall enough to experience together.

Jennifer on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:37 pm

It said it would open Spring 2014, well Spring goes til almost the end of June. You can’t plan your trip around a ride that you hope will open when you are there in May and then complain when it doesn’t. A true Disney fan will stay positive enjoy all the other amazing attractions and maybe some real magic will come their way.

James from PA on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Just be careful – when you Select All in your party for Fast pass tickets today, it is randomly not actually selecting all of them, but putting an “Oops” by one or more of them. Thought I had reserved for Mine ride and then found it only chose 1 person in our group. So disappointed…now can’t get any of them!

Nicolette on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Just got my fast passes for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride!!! Yes!!!

karen on May 2nd, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Pity Uk customers are not so lucky ! I tried this morning and couldn’t get FP+ AND

Michael on May 2nd, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Woohoo!

Tiffany on May 2nd, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Yeah website is crashing so we can’t book yet. Hoping anyway for a passholder event.

Cheri on May 2nd, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Have been watching the construction on our previous trips.Just our luck that the opening was announced for 2 days after we leave the parks this year. But, at least we still get to go to the ‘happiest place on earth”. Crossing fingers and toes that we get in on a soft opening or they open a little early for us Disney loyals!

Lee on May 2nd, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Jennifer,

I totally agree with you…who knows what will happen when you get there.
They may just end up picking you and your group for soft opening.
Lets stay positive and just hope for the best and like jennifer said…there are other many attractions that will still be able to give you that magical disney feeling.

Lee on May 2nd, 2014 at 5:04 pm

one more thing…I also am there May 11th thru may 16th but i just continue to hope for the best.
Lets all just try and look forward to our trips in the next coming weeks and just be thankful that we get the chance to even go to disney.

Melissa on May 2nd, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Unfortunately I think for the opening weekend into June they are all gone, because every day of our 8 day vacation there are no FP+ available.

Barry from BC on May 2nd, 2014 at 5:11 pm

It looks fantastic. The construction wall were down last week when we were there. I’m looking forward to riding it the next time I make it out to WDW.

B from CT on May 2nd, 2014 at 5:48 pm

i just tried fastpass again! the website seems a bit better! woohoo

Anonymous on May 2nd, 2014 at 6:01 pm

WWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! I’m there from the 22nd to the 26th! I just miss it :( :( :(\

Jennifer on May 2nd, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Def don’t see the option for May 28 or May 29!

Heather on May 2nd, 2014 at 7:42 pm

This wasn’t selectable for FP + on 28 -30. It wasn’t an option

Arlene on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:09 pm

FAST PAST + IS READY NOW…….. You need to be patient. The site is having issues w/ all the traffic

Lee on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:34 pm

is that a hidden mickey behind Grumpy?

Jennifer on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I know it is disappointing if you booked before the date, however, we were there when they had a soft opening for Toy Story, it wasn’t suppose to open yet. They want time to try it before too many at once. So yes, there is a good chance you may have a soft opening when you are there. No guarantee, but the line will be shorter if you do get it, so good luck.

Lucinda from IL on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:56 pm

We’ve been waiting so long! So happy to have a date at last. It’s going to be a great summer!

Daina on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Will this ride offer rider switch for parents with young children that do not meet the height requirement?

Victoria from FL on May 3rd, 2014 at 12:04 am

Im a local. Cant wait to ride it over and over again! :)