Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Commemorative Merchandise for the 20th Anniversary of Disney’s ‘The Lion King’ at Disney Parks

posted on June 13th, 2014 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

01_ParksBlog_LionKing20_Logo

This year marks the 20th Anniversary of Disney’s “The Lion King.” I recently gave you a look at some merchandise we created for Harambe Nights, the special Lion King-themed events taking place every Saturday from now through August 9, 2014 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. There are, however, some additional items that commemorate this milestone anniversary coming to Disney Parks and the Disney Parks online store.

02_ParksBlog_LionKing20_ShirtPinLARGE

From June 12-17, 2014, the Disney Parks online store will offer an anniversary T-shirt with artwork created by Disney Design Group artist Caley Hicks. This shirt will only be sold online at http://www.DisneyStore.com/ParkEvents. Please allow four-six weeks for delivery.

The Disney Pin team also created a limited edition pin for this anniversary. The pin has an edition size of 2,000, and it will be released in select locations at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort. Unfortunately, this pin won’t be available online.

03_ParksBlog_LionKing20_ItemsLARGE

Disney Theme Park Merchandise has offered items for Disney’s “The Lion King” for many years. I first wrote about them for the Disney Parks Blog in October 2011 when the Diamond Edition of this film was released on Disney Blu-ray and DVD. Recently, I photographed some additional things at Downtown Disney Marketplace including plush, toys, artwork and pins.

04_ParksBlog_LionKing20_NewPinsLARGE

Coming in July, you will also find a handful of new open edition pins with characters from this Disney animated classic. These pins will be released at locations in both California and Florida.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

6 Comments 4 Replies Add Yours

Jonathan on June 13th, 2014 at 11:17 am

Do you have any unframed Deluxe Prints of the Thomas Kinkade artwork, including the Lion King artwork included in this post?

(I really hope you are re-ordering the SHAG Disneyland 50th re-release deluxe prints that are sold out. If there are no plans, would you please pass on this request.)

Steven Miller on June 18th, 2014 at 3:35 pm

@Jonathan – I’ve not forgot about your question. I’ve been away from the office and have contacted the merchandiser for Arts & Collectibles. Please stay tuned.
I heard from the merchandiser who said that the Disneyland 50th pieces by SHAG will not be reordered. These images, however, are now available for purchase on our Art on Demand systems in each of our main galleries. Unfortunately, the Thomas Kinkade artwork is not produced in the format you requested (those decisions are controlled by the publisher). Right now, all are canvas prints – the smallest being a wrap, unframed for $125.

Lauren on June 13th, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I think it’s great that “The Lion King” is getting all this merchandise and recognition for it’s 20th anniversary, but “The Little Mermaid” is celebrating it’s 25th anniversary this year as well. Will there be any new commemorative merchandise (like the new Lion King t-shirt in this post or limited edition pin, new plushes, etc.) in honor or “The Little Mermaid” 25th anniversary? I think a milestone anniversary like 25 years is just as deserving of the merchandise and recognition as “The Lion King” 20th anniversary. Thanks.

Steven Miller on June 18th, 2014 at 3:36 pm

@Lauren – I’ve not seen anything in particular except maybe a mystery pin set that is themed to Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.” I’ll have to look around.

Jared Brosnan on June 13th, 2014 at 8:06 pm

hi Mr. Miller! Me and my family will be in Disney World from the 24-30 of june and i was wondering if the wave b hidden mickey pins will be released by then? If you could get back to me that would be great, thanks!

Steven Miller on June 18th, 2014 at 3:35 pm

@Jared – I hope you have a great trip. The Wave B pins won’t be released until some point in July. I’m currently working on a Disney Parks Blog story about them.

Samoht on June 14th, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I wish there was more PR about this online. I just found out about this today. I was wondering if Disney was going to do something for the 20th. This tshirt design is near, reminds me of the TLK on Broadway style. I did my own design of the 20th logo for fun this past Nov.

Emily on June 16th, 2014 at 12:44 am

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! My favorite movie in the entire world is getting more PINS!!!! Hopefully I’ll be able to buy some in the future!!!

Jonathan on June 19th, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Thanks! I can always count on you!

I looked the service up and found Michelle’s article from 2011. It opened up a few more questions though: is the quality/look/size the same as the deluxe print, is matting available, are the Kinkade images offered in that service, and is Shag’s “One Enchanted Evening” from the Tiki Room 40th offered in that service, and is art on demand something that can be ordered from Merchandise Guest Services?

Sorry for always having so many questions!!

Steven Miller on June 24th, 2014 at 12:04 pm

@Jonathan – I have a few answers for you.

Is the quality/look/size the same as the deluxe print?
The quality is the same. The sizes are different. Deluxe prints (including matte) at 14X18. On demand is 16X20, 22X28 and 32X40.

Is matting available?
Unfortunately, that is not offered – only framing.

Are the Thomas Kinkade images offered in that service?
No, they are not offered at this time. They probably won’t be included in the future as the images are not exclusive to Disney Parks. You can find them in other places outside Disney Parks.

Is Shag’s “One Enchanted Evening” from the Tiki Room 40th offered in that service?
This is not offered via art on demand at this time.

Is art on demand something that can be ordered from Merchandise Guest Services?
Yes, please contact them.

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.