Cinderella Castle Fireworks Show

Disney Parks Merchandise: Celebrating 80 Years of Donald Duck

posted on June 9th, 2014 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

don839901

This year, June 9 marks the 80th anniversary for one of my favorite Disney characters, Donald Duck. I’ve been a Donald Duck fan since college when I attended a Disney Institute presentation in Lima, Ohio. During that presentation, the facilitator gave me a small Donald Duck figure for sharing a story about the time I applied to work at Walt Disney World Resort while still in high school (I really wanted to be a cast member!). I still have that critter today, and I have an even greater appreciation of the original angry bird. In recent years, I’ve loved Donald even more for the stylish red bow tie he wears.

don739902

To commemorate this milestone anniversary, the Disney Parks online store is releasing a specially designed T-shirt. From June 9-12, you can find this shirt by visiting DisneyStore.com/ParkEvents. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

don5789923

We are also releasing a limited edition spinner pin that contains both a black and white and a color image of my favorite bird (edition size is 2,500). This pin will be released in select merchandise locations at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts starting June 5.

This also seemed like a great time to share photos of my favorite Donald Duck items found at Disney Parks. The suitcase “quacks” me up.

Happy Anniversary, Donald!

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Shawn on June 9th, 2014 at 10:13 am

Why is it ok to acknowledge Donald’s age & not Mickey’s?

Jonathan on June 9th, 2014 at 11:01 am

I think he’s my favorite of the fab 5. Have glasses from another anniversary for so many “Feisty Years” I forget what anniversary that was…probably 70.

Speaking of anniversaries, I noticed for the new Shag release, they re-released deluxe prints created for Disneyland’s 50th!!! I know you don’t usually report on Disneyland merchandise, but would you have sku’s for those??? I missed out on them during the 50th, so I am ecstatic they were re-released!!!!!!

Steven Miller on June 9th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

@Jonathan – I’ll have to do some research.

Tommy from SC on June 9th, 2014 at 11:32 am

I’d like to order one of the shirts for my sister who is a big Donald fan but the link to the Disney Store does not work.

Please fix! Thanks!

Steven Miller on June 9th, 2014 at 12:13 pm

@Tommy – This has been resolved. You can also click on the link below:

Patricia on June 9th, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I wish they sold these shirts 6 weeks ago, so I had it to WEAR on the actual birthday!

Braeden on June 9th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

@Shawn
They do acknowledge his age! His birthday is november 18th. This year he will be 86 but they wont really celebrate it because it isnt a huge milestone like 50 or 80.

Jonathan on June 9th, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Steven. I’d greatly appreciate it! I can always count on you!

Dashaun on June 9th, 2014 at 9:18 pm

These limited edition shirts have to stop! First it was Small World and Carousel of Progress and then The Enchanted Tiki Room and now my favorite of the fab four gets one!? How can a Disney fan resist?!

Jennifer on June 10th, 2014 at 12:22 am

Will the Donald mugs be in Disneyland? I’m hitting myself for not getting one on a trip to Florida. I haven’t been able to find them in Anaheim.

Lindsey on June 11th, 2014 at 11:23 am

I’ve been collecting Donald Duck pins ever since I was little so I was pretty excited to see the limited edition pin Disneyland is now selling to celebrate Donald’s milestone. I live in Northern California though so there is no way I would be able to get one myself. I shared the news with my sister who decided to post on the Disneyland Reddit page and see if anyone who was in the park or going to be would pick one up for her. Within a couple of hours a kind Redditer who was in the park said he would go pick one up and mail it to us! I was so surprised and touched that this person was willing to do that for a stranger. The Disneyland fan community is pretty cool!

Jocelyn on June 14th, 2014 at 9:30 pm

We need another Donald Duck anniversary parade. He got one in 1984.

christie on June 16th, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I would buy a shirt if it had June 9. Donald and I share a birthday!