Disney's Electrical Parade

Top 5 Tips for Piloting the Disneyland Monorail

posted on June 9th, 2014 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

We’re celebrating the 55th anniversary of the Disneyland Monorail this week! I wanted to know more about this iconic Disney Parks attraction, and who better to ask than someone who travels the highway in the sky every day? You may remember Disneyland Monorail pilot Mike Gibson from Kevin Rafferty’s recent “Every Role a Starring Role” post. Today, Mike shares his top 5 tips for piloting the Disneyland Monorail.

Have you ever dreamed of being a monorail pilot? What would be your top tips?

Stay tuned for more stories here on the Disney Parks Blog this week as we celebrate 55 years of the Disneyland Monorail.

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

5 Comments 1 Reply Add Yours

Susan on June 9th, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Many many years ago I had the priviledge of riding in the front nose of the monorail with a new trainee. We watched and listened as he took the controls for the very first time. As we pulled out of the station, his trainer said “You are now piloting the Monorail” This kid got a grin on his face like he just won the lottery. What a treat for both him and us.

Erin Glover on June 9th, 2014 at 8:28 pm

What a wonderful memory! For him, too, I’m sure. :)

Winston on June 9th, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Years ago before they changed the security perimeters at Disney world, my family got a tip on how to ride in the front cabin with the pilot on a trip from the parking lot to Magic Kingdom AND Epcot!

I don’t know who was more excited, myself as the guy who snuck a surprise by the family or my kids who got to do something that nobody else did!

Ellen on June 9th, 2014 at 11:51 pm

We had a chance to sit in the front nose of a monorail at WDW during our first family visit at Christmas of 2007. It was such an amazing experience. I really wish that one day we could sit at the front nose again. We will be visiting Disneyland in August, and my kids are looking forward to riding the monorail.

Jaime on June 10th, 2014 at 8:02 pm

In early 2001 I had the wonderful fortune to Pilot the Monorail from Downtown Disney through the esplanade. It was certainly magical and I will NEVER forget it! I even got a pilot licence! I was incredibly nervous but boy was it exciting.

COURTNEY on June 11th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Why are there 2 honks in Fantasyland?

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.