Disneyland Monorail

First Look Inside Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on July 3rd, 2014 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

OAKENS000111

With our summer-long celebration of Disney’s “Frozen” at Disney’s Hollywood Studios starting on Saturday, July 5, I wanted to give you a first look inside Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland. Located in Soundstage One between Toy Story Midway Mania and the Studio Backlot Tour, Oaken and his cousins have created a cold-weather wonderland filled with a frozen pond for ice skating demonstrations, photo opportunities, play areas, food and beverage kiosks, and a merchandise shop.

OAKENS000222

Upon entering Soundstage One, guests pass by the trading post front porch on the way to the frozen pond and the merchandise location. My first stop was the ice skating rink located in the same space recently occupied by Darth’s Mall during Star Wars Weekends 2014. Surrounded by snow-covered trees, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the pond – it’s summer in Florida and I was staring at ice! I haven’t been skating since I lived in Ohio many years ago, so I can’t wait to go.

My next stop was the trading post, which is located in the front area of Soundstage One. This location will be home to a large assortment of “Frozen” merchandise. I found dolls, toys, plush, apparel, consumables, pins and much more. The assortment will evolve throughout the summer as additional items arrive at Disney Parks, like the recently discussed Olaf merchandise I shared in this article.

OAKENS000333

We will be releasing a new D-Tech on Demand cases for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5/5S on Saturday at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This artwork will also be added to the D-Tech on Demand boutique inside the recently opened Marketplace Co-Op in Downtown Disney Marketplace. The Marketplace Co-Op location will have a few designs not found anywhere else, while the “Frozen Summer Fun” design will only be found at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

OAKENS000444

Coming next week, we will release three open edition, retail MagicBands at Disney’s Hollywood Studios with pre-printed images of Elsa, Anna and Olaf. As with all retail MagicBand purchases, guests must present one of the following for the MagicBand to be linked to at the time of purchase: valid theme park admission, Memory Maker card or another MagicBand. These items will not be available for purchase online or via Merchandise Guest Services.

I hope you are able to join us this summer as the celebration runs through September 1. Below is a gallery of a few additional things I found during my visit.

For more on Frozen Summer Fun at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, visit the posts below:

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

44 Comments 35 Replies Add Yours

Jacob on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Is there a way to get the special Frozen Magic Bands without going?

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:18 pm

@Jacob – At this point, they will only be offered at Disney’s Hollywood Studios starting next week on Saturday, July 5. They will be released at the following locations:

Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland / Soundstage One – Olaf, Anna and Elsa
Stage 1 Company Store – Anna and Elsa
The Darkroom – Anna and Elsa
Legends of Hollywood – Anna and Elsa

Please note that Olaf will only be found at Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland.

Unfortunately, there isn’t another option to get them outside Disney’s Hollywood Studios like the online store or Merchandise Guest Services.

Guests must present one of the following for the MagicBand to be linked to at the time of purchase: valid theme park admission, Memory Maker card or another MagicBand.

Mark on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Steven, I’m wondering if these MagicBands make a custom sound like the SWW Bands do. Thoughts?

Mark.

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:40 pm

@Mark – That’s a great question. I’m not aware of any special surprises with open edition retail MagicBands. I believe the Force was strong with the limited edition retail MagicBands for Star Wars Weekends 2014. :)

Stefani on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Can’t wait! I’ll be there July 5th! How much will the magic bands cost?

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:28 pm

@Stefani – These open edition retail MagicBands will be $19.95 each (plus tax).

And the good news is that the retail MagicBands will be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on Saturday, July 5! I’m waiting to confirm with the team and will update once I know more.

CHERYL on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:29 pm

If that is the case can my son who lives in FL take my magic band for me and buy me one and link it with my band?

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:51 pm

@Cheryl – From my understanding, the retail MagicBand needs to be linked with some type of RF media at the time of purchase.

Ethan on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Steven -

I’m super excited about the MagicBands. I even started a website for MagicBand collectors! You stated they are open editions…. does that mean Disney will be trying their best to have them available all of the way through the end of August? I won’t be able to get there until the end of July (I’m a local but on vacation in Seattle) so I’m hoping Disney will be replenishing stock on these constantly?

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:57 pm

@Ethan – I’m glad to hear you are a fan! :) Since these retail MagicBands are open edition, there is no limit on production. In other words, they can be reordered as long as they continue to be popular with Guests.

They are different than the previously released limited edition retail MagicBands for Star Wars Weekends 2014. Those items had a finite production number which means they won’t be reordered once they are sold out.

Damon on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:39 pm

My girls are big Frozen fans (obviously) and would love the MagicBands. We’re not going until November. Will the MagicBands still be available then or are they ending in September?

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:59 pm

@Damon – How wonderful! I hope you have a great trip. These three retail MagicBands are open edition which means they can be reordered as long as they continue to be popular with Guests.

Megan on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:40 pm

So exciting!! Have to admit that I am a little disappointed that this is not expected to last beyond early September because we will miss it and the kiddos would LOVE it!

Amanda on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:43 pm

If I know someone is coming down can they buy the frozen band in advanced for me and then when I come down for my trip in December I can have the bands synced when I check in? This way I don’t have to get a band, check in, go to hs and have the new band synced.

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:11 pm

@Amanda – The retail MagicBand has to be linked to RF media at the time of purchase. Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to purchase and link at a later date. Sorry I don’t have better news.

Jodi on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Steven, you said the MBs would be available “next week.” Does that mean they will NOT be for sale Saturday the 5th? Do you have a date they will arrive? Thanks!

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:10 pm

@Jodi – The retail MagicBands will NOT be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on Saturday, July 5. Unfortunately, I don’t have an exact date other than “next week.”

I have possible good news. I learned this morning that the retail MagicBands may be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios tomorrow morning, Saturday, July 5. I should have confirmation early tomorrow morning and will update accordingly.

Great news! The retail MagicBands will be released starting on Saturday, July 5. :)

Please note the locations where you can find the retail MagicBands at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Olaf will only be found at Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post.

Stage 1 Company Store – Anna and Elsa
The Darkroom – Anna and Elsa
Legends of Hollywood – Anna and Elsa

As a reminder, guests must present one of the following for the MagicBand to be linked to at the time of purchase: valid theme park admission, Memory Maker card or another MagicBand.

Jason from Hampshire on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Wow, I love the Kristoff and Sven DTech design! I really wish they did them for things other than iPhones!

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:13 pm

@Jason – You can find a few different case options at the D-Tech on Demand boutique in the Marketplace Co-Op at Downtown Disney Marketplace. There, you can create custom cases for the following phones:

iPhone 4/4S
iPhone 5/5S
iPhone 5C
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Samsung Galaxy S4

Theresa on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Will the ice skating rink only be open until the end of summer? Also, any chance the magic bands will be available in the fall? My nieces would flip for these!

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:14 pm

@Theresa – The summer celebration will run through September 1. The retail MagicBands are open edition which means there is no finite production number. They can be reordered as long as they continue to be popular with Guests.

Bailey on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:03 pm

It says coming next week you will have the magic bands, does that mean this weekend July 5th or starting July 12.

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:15 pm

@Bailey – The retail MagicBands won’t be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on Saturday, July 5. I was only told “next week” as I don’t have a confirmed date. They will be released at some point next week.

I have updated information as of this morning. The Disney’s Hollywood Studios team may receive the three retail MagicBands tomorrow, Saturday, July 5! I’m super excited to hear the news (it’s amazing to see the magic that can happen in 24 hours). I will update early tomorrow morning once I get confirmation. :)

I received confirmation that the retail MagicBands will be released on Saturday, July 5 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios!

Anna from WA on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Is this located where Darth’s Maul was during the Star Wars weekends?

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:14 pm

@Anna – That’s the place :) I couldn’t believe that Darth’s Mall was there just a few weeks ago. Looks so much different now.

Marieshelle on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I am super excited! We arrive Sunday–We are going to the parks beginning Monday. Where to go to get the special MagicBands? I was hoping to get them Sunday before we go into the parks. We have breakfast at Hollywood and & Vine Monday morning. Is that when I should buy them? Any help would be appreciated!!

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:35 pm

@Marieshelle – I hope you have a great trip. At this point, we don’t have a confirmed release date for the retail MagicBands. I only know they won’t be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on Saturday, July 5. Once they are released next week

I received word early this morning that the retail MagicBands may will be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios for the kick off of the event. Once I receive confirmation, I will update accordingly.

Stage 1 Company Store – Anna and Elsa
The Darkroom – Anna and Elsa
Legends of Hollywood – Anna and Elsa

Lauren on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Will there be any new plush items other than the previously released Olaf and Sven? I am hoping for plushes of the trolls from the film to come out at some point. Ay chance of that happening for this event? Thanks!

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 4:00 pm

@Lauren – I’ve not seen any plans for new plush at this time. I know that a reorder for the previously released animated Olaf plush is coming soon.

Christy on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:37 pm

What??? No Sauna for the family? I guess Oaken forgot to build one. LOL

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 4:13 pm

@Christy – Check the image gallery. The display team added a sauna image with the family to a backstage door. It made me laugh.

vicki on July 3rd, 2014 at 3:44 pm

No Sven Magic Band…..Bummer.

Nicholas on July 3rd, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Apologies for my ignorance. Will these be made available to select when customizing the magic bands before arriving? We’ll be there at the end of August.

Steven Miller on July 3rd, 2014 at 4:16 pm

@Nicholas – No apologies needed. These are retail MagicBands which are different from the ones that you receive when booking a Walt Disney World Resort vacation.

The open edition retail MagicBands are $19.95 each. You can purchase them when visiting and link them to your account at the time of purchase.

Christopher on July 3rd, 2014 at 7:22 pm

This looks great. We will be there in August. My daughter was one of the figure skaters in Bryant Park, New York for the Frozen Sing-A-Long on Good Morning America. We are going to bring her skates (but not her Frozen costume). My son wants to bring his hockey skates too.

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:06 am

@Christopher – How cool! That had to be a neat experience :)

Adrea from WA on July 3rd, 2014 at 8:02 pm

@Steven – is there any way the new phone covers will be available online through the Disney Store?

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:32 am

@Adrea – We do not offer the custom D-Tech on Demand cases via the Disney Parks online store or Merchandise Guest Services at this time.

Jodi on July 3rd, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Thanks for your quick reply! I’ll be watching for an update :)

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:17 am

@Jodi – The latest update is that the retail MagicBands may be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on Saturday, July 5. I’m hoping to have final confirmation early tomorrow morning. Stay tuned :)

Amanda on July 3rd, 2014 at 10:55 pm

so excited that my girlfriend and I will be able to hang out with Oaken and his “cousins”!

Joe on July 3rd, 2014 at 11:17 pm

My wife and daughter are going to go NUTS! All of this stuff is fantastic! I see where a portion of our souviner shopping will be. :) Steven, any word on when we will be getting a sneak peak at the Ear Hat and High Heel ornaments for 2014?

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:19 am

@Joe – Stay tuned … Christmas in July is coming. As you can tell, I’ve been a little focused on a few other stories first :)

Kristin from IL on July 3rd, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Love the Olaf band. Can’t wait, will be there in a few weeks. My boys loved the Star Wars bands from SWW. Are those still available?

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:21 am

@Kristin – I saw a few of the Star Wars Weekends 2014 MagicBands when I was at Mickey’s Of Hollywood in Disney’s Hollywood Studios on Wednesday this week. They are a few remaining quantities also offered at other merchandise locations at Disney’s Hollywood Studios such as Stage 1 Company Store or Legends of Hollywood.

Tracey on July 3rd, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Any chance that the ice rink will be around past the summer months?

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:27 am

@Tracey – I only know the celebration of Disney’s Frozen is scheduled to run through September 1. I’ve not heard of any other plans to extend it. Sorry.

Nancy on July 4th, 2014 at 8:49 am

Steven – we have reservations for August and need to order our MagicBands by July 15th — can we request the Elsa and Olaf MagicBands since we have a reservation already?

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:28 am

@Nancy – Glad to hear you will be visiting us. Unfortunately, that is not an option as the retail MagicBands are not offered as part of the reservation process. You could, however, purchase retail MagicBands once you get to Walt Disney World Resort.

Tara on July 4th, 2014 at 9:19 am

If we are already getting regular bands, can we trade them in and receive a lower cost on the upgrade?

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:30 am

@Tara – That is not something we offer at this time. I hope you have a great visit. :)

Stephanie from FL on July 4th, 2014 at 11:05 am

I am SO excited for this!!! I cannot wait to pick up an Anna magic band and I’m sure tons of other Frozen goodies! Steve, I am wondering if the phone cases can be customized to have the sides/bumper part black? I had an off-the-shelf Frozen case from the parks that I LOVED, but the white edge/bumper got so dirty, so fast and I couldn’t find a way to clean it. Hoping I can get it in black and get a new Frozen case back on my phone! =)

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:35 am

@Stephanie – I’m glad to hear! My recommendation would be to visit D-Tech on Demand at the Marketplace Co-Op in Downtown Disney Marketplace. There, you can create a custom D-Tech on Demand case from a selection of more than 125 pieces of artwork. I know you can also select your bumper color.

Scott on July 4th, 2014 at 11:23 am

Hi Steven, thanks for all of your great info. I was curious if they are still selling the star wars bands from earlier this summer? My family will be there at the end of July. My son and I are leaning more towards the star wars while my daughter and wife are leaning towards the frozen bands.

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 11:38 am

@Scott – You’re welcome! Yes, there are still some quantities remaining for the limited edition Star Wars Weekends 2014 MagicBands. The best places to check at Disney’s Hollywood Studios include Mickey’s of Hollywood, Legends of Hollywood or Stage 1 Company Store.

The retail MagicBands for Disney’s “Frozen” may will be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios starting Saturday, July 5. I’ll receive final confirmation early tomorrow morning.

You can find the retail MagicBands at Disney’s Hollywood Studio in the following locations.

Stage 1 Company Store – Anna and Elsa
The Darkroom – Anna and Elsa
Legends of Hollywood – Anna and Elsa

Olaf will only be found at Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post.

Jessica on July 4th, 2014 at 3:00 pm

If we are annual pass holders and have magic bands already, do we have to pay for the frozen magic bands?

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 3:10 pm

@Jessica – Yes, Annual Passholders would still need to purchase retail MagicBands.

Thomas on July 4th, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Can I get a customized band if I HAVE the already registered/ linked magic band for a family member who can not be with us? (my daughter who is in college would like Elsa).

Steven Miller on July 4th, 2014 at 4:53 pm

@Thomas – In order to purchase a retail MagicBand, you must present some kind of RF media such as valid theme park admission, a Memory Maker card or another MagicBand in order for it to be linked.

Naomi on July 6th, 2014 at 12:18 am

I know it costs $10 per person to go skating but does that include the skates or do you have to pay extra to rent them? If you have to pay extra, how much does it cost to rent the skates?

Steven Miller on July 6th, 2014 at 10:43 am

@Naomi – I’m unsure if you saw this article: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/07/ice-skating-begins-july-5-at-oakens-frozen-funland-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

It states, “Skating sessions are $10 for 30 minutes on the ice, including the use of ice skates, socks and a helmet. Guests can also bring their own equipment.”

Amanda on July 6th, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Does anyone know if they have the Anna dresses? My niece would love one for her bday but I don’t want to drive all the way up there (2 hours) if they don’t have them.

Steven Miller on July 8th, 2014 at 12:38 pm

@Amanda – When I was there on Sunday, I did see both Anna and Elsa dresses. Availability, however, is subject to change. I know we will continue to receive orders of the dresses and other items in the coming months.

Michelle on July 7th, 2014 at 8:49 am

i know this is hard to predict, but we will be there the week of August 9, will they be keeping the MagicBands in stock pretty well? Hope so we are so excited!!!

Steven Miller on July 8th, 2014 at 12:39 pm

@Michelle – You are correct that it’s difficult to judge availability for 30 days or so from now. I know that we will continue to receive additional orders.

Sue on July 7th, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Oh my….. this will teach me to read the Disney blogs before I go to the park… Went to see Frozen yesterday -parade is awesome but decided not to do other events because we are going back. but I would have loved to see the trading post and get an Olaf magic band.. so I now definitely have to go back! how do I make sure I get the blogs… I don’t seem to get them anymore… help! :-)

Steven Miller on July 8th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

@Sue – Thank you for visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios and for reading the Disney Parks Blog. You have a couple of ways to follow along:

1. Visit http://www.DisneyParksBlog.com – We have stories pretty much every day of the week.

2. Like “Disney Parks Blog” on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/DisneyParksBlog

3. Follow on Twitter, specifically @DisneyParks, @Disneyland or @WaltDisneyWorld

4. Subscribe to the RSS feed using a news reader. The link to that option is at the top of this page.

Naomi on July 8th, 2014 at 2:21 am

I hadn’t seen that article. Thank you Steven. Also, is it $10 PER half hour or just half an hour? Can you pay for more time? Just wondering since I think 30 minutes should be enough time but I just wanted to know because some of the members of my party may want to skate for a longer amount of time.

Steven Miller on July 8th, 2014 at 4:56 pm

@Naomi – I spoke with the merchandise team at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. They said the fee is $10 per half hour. If you wish to extend, you would need to pay another $10 for the additional 30 minutes, etc. I hope you enjoy it. I saw the place on Sunday and it looks like fun.

Melissa on July 9th, 2014 at 10:00 am

Hollywood Studios is our 3rd park (4 day ticket). Is there a way to buy the magic bands before when we arrive at Disney (without entering Hollywood Studios) or do we have to wait until day 3 of 4 to buy these bands?

Steven Miller on July 9th, 2014 at 12:03 pm

@Melissa – At this point, the only place the retail MagicBands with characters from Disney’s “Frozen” is offered is Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We are not currently offering them at other locations at Walt Disney World Resort.

Naomi on July 9th, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Thank you. I can’t wait to go later this month :)

Misty on July 16th, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hi Steven, is this just for summer? We are going at the end of October…I was almost going to skip Hollywood Studios but I certainly wouldn’t if this will be there!!!

Steven Miller on July 16th, 2014 at 2:37 pm

@Misty – The celebration will run through September 1. I hope you have a great trip in October!

Misty on July 16th, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Thanks!

Carole on July 17th, 2014 at 12:08 pm

OMG please tell me that the Frozen trading post will be there when I go in October for food & wine. I adore Sven but can’t find the plush doll anywhere and I would definitely want to buy him as well as other Frozen items when I go. I just came back on June 1st from my summer vacation at Disney and searched high & low for Frozen items with no luck and I’m thrilled that this is coming out. Please tell me that we will have more items like these all year round???

Kim on July 18th, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I think the Frozen magic bands look really cool. No pun intended. I’m a bit surprised though that Disney does not offer an option to upgrade to a band like this when booking a Disney vacation. It seems like it’s something that there would be a demand for.

Mariessa from NY on August 3rd, 2014 at 4:29 pm

My cousin is in Hollywood Studios today (8/3/14) and said the Frozen craziness stops on Sept. 1 – everything shuts down (show, skating, store). I also read somewhere else the Frozen Magic Bands will stop on Sept. 1 as well – is this true?!?! I’m going in Sept but after Sept 1st and really want a Frozen magic band

Jackie on August 6th, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Steven – do you know if they will ship merchandise from the stores in the park? We are trying to find an Elsa dress before our trip in November, and as you can imagine, it has been next to impossible!

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.