Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Five Things You Might Have Missed in Critter Country at Disneyland Park

posted on July 16th, 2014 by Tyler Slater, Public Relations Manager, Disney Destinations

Tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of Splash Mountain at Disneyland park. When the attraction opened on July 17, 1989, the surrounding area transformed into Critter Country, the woodland home of many favorite critters. Today, we’re celebrating the 25th anniversary of this land with five fun details you may have missed while exploring this shaded corner of Disneyland park.

1. Fowler’s Harbor -

Making the Magic

Near the entrance of Critter Country, you’ll find Fowler’s Harbor – named for Admiral Joe Fowler, who oversaw the construction of Disneyland park in the 1950s. This small harbor is home to the Sailing Ship Columbia or the Mark Twain Riverboat when they are not cruising the Rivers of America.

2. Max, Buff & Melvin from Country Bear Jamboree - Deep in the Hundred Acre Wood, you can find a tribute to former Disneyland park attraction, Country Bear Jamboree. I don’t want to give it away completely, but Max, Buff & Melvin, the three talking trophy heads from the show, have taken up residence inside The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Look for these beloved characters in the scene where Winnie the Pooh enjoys his favorite treat, honey.

3. Pooh Corner – As you exit The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, follow the pathway straight into Pooh Corner. Here you’ll see the story of the attraction continues into the shops of Critter Country! Banners celebrating Pooh’s birthday are hung from the ceiling, and other elements from his fantasy decorate the location. Don’t forget a Tigger Tail on your way out!

4. Rufus the bear in Bear Country - Before Critter Country opened, this area of Disneyland park was known as Bear Country (and before that, it was part of Frontierland). Near the entrance, you could hear Rufus the bear snoring inside a cliffside cave just past the Haunted Mansion. When Splash Mountain opened in 1989, there was a small nod to this sleeping bear inside the attraction, right before the first waterfall. Today, listen for Brer Bear snoring in the same spot and it might sound vaguely familiar …

5. America Sings cast at Splash Mountain -

FNC7064432

Some of the characters from the former America Sings attraction have been re-cast to play supporting roles in Splash Mountain! Look for some of the characters welcoming Brer Rabbit home and singing about a “zip-a-dee-do-dah” day.

What is your favorite detail in Critter Country? Leave you answer in the comments below!

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

11 Comments 3 Replies Add Yours

Sherry from CA on July 16th, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I know exactly where Max, Buff & Melvin can be found in the Pooh ride, but I won’t give it away completely either!

My favorite detail(s) in Critter Country — though there are many — can be found during the holiday season. They include:

1) The teeny tiny Christmas decorations that appear on the little ‘houses’/residences along the creek/river at the exit of the Pooh ride. They are easy to miss if you don’t look for them, but they are reminiscent of the miniature decorations on the cottages, etc., along the Storybook Land Canal Boat ride in Fantasyland;

2) The slightly askew Christmas tree protruding from the Splash Mountain façade, above the entrance; and

3) The various bits of garland (and even a Christmas tree or two) around Critter Country in November and December, which are adorned with “bees” and honey-covered (or is it “hunny”?) ornaments and accents! I love those themed details!

Tyler Slater on July 16th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Absolutely, Sherry! I love how the critters decorate Critter Country during the Holidays at the Disneyland Resort! Thank you for sharing! : )

Bob on July 16th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I really like the nod to the old Country Bear Jamboree that is in the Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh attraction. The Country Bears used to be my favorite, but I’ve since added more favorites to my list!

Tyler Slater on July 16th, 2014 at 4:14 pm

It’s a favorite of mine too, Bob! Country Bear Jamboree is always at the top of my list when I visit Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort!

Jeff on July 16th, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Somewhere–I think it’s in the restaurant–is a sign that refers to Humphrey the bear from the Disney animated shorts.

Rachel on July 16th, 2014 at 3:54 pm

It’s been so long I can’t remember my favorite detail in Critter Country. I think I need to make a trip to Disneyland ASAP!:)

Jeff from NJ on July 16th, 2014 at 4:00 pm

These are some excellent Five Legged Goats!

My favorite, by far, is Max, Buff, Melvin hidden in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh!

George from NC on July 16th, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I love it when you guys cover Five Legged Goats from the parks!

Evelyn on July 16th, 2014 at 4:39 pm

these are awesome!

Evelyn on July 16th, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Sherry, thanks for your input!

yoko on July 17th, 2014 at 11:26 am

All of the information is totally new for me!!! How interesting!
I like greeting some friends from Winnie the Pooh.

Alison from CA on July 17th, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Right next to Fowler’s Harbor is one of the best-kept dining secrets of the park: a take-out window with the best stuffed baked potatoes, steak sandwich, lobster roll sandwich, and salads… all at a GREAT price-point for the food. A seating area wends its way next to the harbor. Delish!

Tyler Slater on July 21st, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Absolutely, Alison! That dining location is called Harbour Galley and it’s positively delicious – I particularly enjoy the barbecued chicken potato!

Dustin on August 20th, 2014 at 8:11 pm

My favorite detail in Critter Country is the WATER. As in the water that soaks me each and every time I ride Splash Mountain. I’ve never noticed the name of the boat that the America Sings ensemble sings on b/c I’m too busy wiping myself down after the big plunge. So thanks for that pic Tyler, and all these details!

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.