Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith Turns 15 at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on July 29th, 2014 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Today we’re celebrating the anniversary of one of my favorite attractions – Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith. The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.

ROCKCOA1564614521

In case you haven’t experienced it yet, the attraction lets you tour G-Force Records, the music studio where Aerosmith is holding a recording session. When the band heads out to a show, they invite you to travel to the show in a super-stretch limo that speeds from 0-57 mph in just 2.8 seconds. Better yet – each limo is equipped with an audio system consisting of 125 speakers, 24 sub-woofers and more than 32k watts of audio amplifier output power and each car broadcasts different Aerosmith songs.

In honor of today’s anniversary, here are 15 fun facts about the attraction:

1. The attraction’s grand opening on July 29, 1999 featured a dedication ceremony with Aerosmith.
  2. The giant electric guitar that serves as the attraction’s icon measures 40 feet tall.
  3. There are more than 900 speakers throughout the attraction.
  4. The attraction’s track measures 3,403 feet.
  5. Elements of the attraction were manufactured as far away as Netherlands and Germany.
  6. Aerosmith band members Steven Tyler and Joe Perry took part in re-recordings for the attraction. The entire band appears in the attraction’s preshow film.
  7. The band’s manager who appears in the preshow was played by actress Illeana Douglas.
  8. The DJ who is “broadcasting live” from the Aerosmith concert is classic rock DJ Uncle Joe Benson.
  9. The look of the super-stretch limo was influenced by the 1962-era Cadillac.
  10. Each super-stretch limo can fit 24 passengers.
  11. Each guest is surrounded by five speakers – four around the head and one subwoofer under the seat.
  12. Each vehicle features a different Aerosmith song or medley. Tracks are: “Nine Lives”; “Sweet Emotion”; a “Back in the Saddle”/”Dude Looks Like a Lady” medley; a “Love in an Elevator”/”Walk This Way” medley; and a “Young Lust”/”F.I.N.E.”/”Love in an Elevator” medley.
  13. Guests experience a g-force between 4-5 entering the first inversion on the track.
  14. The attraction was the first coaster at Walt Disney World Resort to feature multiple inversions.
  15. Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster opened at Walt Disney Studios Park (Paris) in 2002. There, it’s called “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith.”

Which is your favorite song to take a ride to? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

23 Comments 5 Replies Add Yours

Brian on July 29th, 2014 at 9:17 am

The guy sitting at the mixing board is actor/comedian Ken Marino from “The State” and “Veronica Mars”.

Milton on July 29th, 2014 at 9:31 am

Here’s another one!
In the preshow movie, the engineer working at the sound board is played by actor, writer, director Ken Marino.

Adam from NY on July 29th, 2014 at 9:31 am

Another cameo… The board operator in the preshow is played by actor/comedian Ken Marino, best known for TV shows such as “The State”, “Childrens Hospital”, and the upcoming “Marry Me”.

Nate on July 29th, 2014 at 9:59 am

Joe Benson was the original DJ voice, but it is now Bill St. James. (One of my favorite radio voices ever.)

Grant on July 29th, 2014 at 10:01 am

This is the best roller coaster in any Disney park and the best roller coaster anywhere. From theming, to music to the smoothness of the ride itself. I could ride this over and over and never get tired.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on July 29th, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Me, too! And I love Aerosmith!!

Brian on July 29th, 2014 at 10:35 am

I guess I’m NOT the only one that recognized Ken Marino. :)

Matthew on July 29th, 2014 at 11:10 am

I did not realize that each coaster has its own song. Thanks for sharing the fun facts! My favorite song to ride to is “Sweet Emotion”. The song fits the motion of the ride extremely well.

John on July 29th, 2014 at 11:15 am

Dude Looks Like a Lady! My favorite one!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on July 29th, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Mark on July 29th, 2014 at 11:20 am

I thought the DJ changed from Joe Benson to Bill Hart (AKA Bill St. James) years ago.

Mark.

Terry from OH on July 29th, 2014 at 11:35 am

My favorite song to ride to is Nine Lives!!

Chris on July 29th, 2014 at 11:42 am

Has to be Sweet Emotion. I can’t hear that song without imagining myself on this attraction. Simply the best.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on July 29th, 2014 at 7:42 pm

This is my fav for sure!

Danielle on July 29th, 2014 at 11:44 am

I sure hope those guys have recorded that album by now! ;)

Alex from CA on July 29th, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Fun Fact: For my 26th birthday, I rode this attraction 26 times. The attractions Cast Members, escorted me and my 3 friends to the first car, and provided me with a printed photo of my 26th ride.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on July 29th, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Very nice, Alex! Thanks for sharing your birthday – and memory – with us!

Eric from MA on July 29th, 2014 at 3:13 pm

The story I’d heard was that this was originally designed to be with the Rolling Stones (which is why the LA concert is the “biggest event ever!”), but getting Mick Jagger to be in the studio was way too much, let alone paying for “Satisfaction” or “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”.
So, since Aerosmith still had that big Disney hit on the “Armageddon” soundtrack…

Kurt on July 29th, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Having rode both versions, I prefer the rock concert style of the Paris version more than the driving through LA storyline of the Orlando one. But happy 15th!

Tracy on July 29th, 2014 at 5:13 pm

My ALL TIME FAVORITE ride!!!! Love it!!! Favorite song: “Dude Looks Like A Lady”!!! I sing it no matter what is playing :)

Dyani on July 29th, 2014 at 5:16 pm

omg Alex wins for the coolest idea. I think I might want to do that for my 30th this fall :)

Richard on July 29th, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I rode this waaaaay back when it open for only a year or less. My son is a musician and had just started playing at that time when he was 14. So this was great for him. I still have the first photo taken when you hit that first loop. I was very surprised I guess you cold say…and my face shows it. I’ve been on it many time since then over the years, with the last only 2 years ago. Still a GREAT ride. That first acceleration and loop is still one of the best ride starts anywhere. Happy Birthday and Rock On!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on July 29th, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Thanks for sharing, Richard!

Adam on July 29th, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I don’t have a favorite song on the attraction because I am a HUGE Aerosmith fan and love them all! I do feel sorry for anyone riding with me as I sing every song I hear while “driving” through Los Angeles. :)

Edward from PA on July 29th, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Love in an Elevator”/”Walk This Way” medley; I love all their songs.
This is the first ride I go on every time I go to Hollywood Studios! then I get a fast pass to go back again.

ann on July 29th, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I miss it so much. Best thrill ride ever and it made me an Aerosmith fan.

James on July 29th, 2014 at 10:07 pm

The first plans for Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster involved the coaster being outside and doing inversions over World Drive!

Ted from IL on August 4th, 2014 at 5:06 pm

15 years and No one has given Joe Perry his Black Les Paul….

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.