Disneyland Monorail

Splash Mountain Celebrates 25 Years of Splashdowns at Disneyland Park

posted on July 18th, 2014 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

On July 17, 1989, a new attraction opened to guests in Critter Country at Disneyland park — one that made a big splash. That attraction was Splash Mountain, a log ride that remains a guest favorite today. It stands 87 feet tall and drops guests five stories at a 45-degree angle. The attraction is a journey through scenes, featuring the story of Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear, and ends with a thrilling splashdown. That’s the best part! No worries if you shut your eyes. A photo snaps a shot of guests reacting the moment they drop. If you don’t have a photo from splashdown with your face frozen in sheer elation, then it’s time to visit the Disneyland Resort. Trust me, it’s an experience you’ll always remember. Here’s a look back at opening day. Enjoy!

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

7 Comments Add Yours

charles on July 18th, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Ah, I still remember the Splash Mountain Rap Song that was created when the ride opened.

Anthony on July 18th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Splash Mountain is a favorite in our family. It is a must-do with every visit to the parks. Of course we love the big thrill of the 5-story splashdown. But we also really appreciate the Song of the South theming. Brer Rabbit is one of our favorite characters. Hopefully Disney will be willing to re-release the Song of the South movie soon. The 25th anniversary of Splash Mountain would have been a great occasion for that!

David on July 18th, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Was there the day it opened. It as completely by happenstance as that’s the day my parents decided to visit Disneyland while on a family vacation to California. I have been on the Florida version several times but can recall the first time at Disneyland more than most.

Wendy from CA on July 18th, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I remember going to Disneyland and seeing the construction walls up for Splash and being sooooo excited for it to open. Awesome ride!

Anna from CA on July 18th, 2014 at 5:08 pm

This ride opened right before my first trip to Disneyland at 5 years old and cemented my life long love. I only went to Disneyland 3 times growing up, but I loved it all so much that I would watch informercials on it back in the day before the internet etc and send away for the video cassettes for travel planning so I could imagine being there. Now, I’m 30, am an annual passholder for 6 years and got engaged at Disneyland… and Mom and Dad thought they were just taking me to an amusement park…

Nicholas from FR on July 21st, 2014 at 10:03 am

It’s a very close thing between The Tower of Terror, Kali River Rapids, and The Haunted Mansion – but I really think this is my favourite Disney ride anywhere out of the five Disney Resorts I’ve been to around the world. I’m looking forward to visiting the Florida version in September – now if only we had one in Paris too?!

Jaime on July 21st, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I have the greatest picture of my daughter and her firend (both 5) on this ride. One has the look of sheer terror and the other pure joy! One of my favorites for sure.

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.