Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Happy Holidays from the Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort

New Capt. Cook’s Debuts at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

posted on August 18th, 2014 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

In true Disney fashion, look for a big wow at the new Capt. Cook’s at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – the menu makeover brings island-style cuisine to the popular quick-service spot that’s open around the clock.

Start with the classic lobster roll served on a buttered bun. They’ve added blackened fish tacos, a noodle bowl (beef or shrimp) and delectable coconut curry meatballs. A new gourmet hot dog is slathered with garlic ketchup and mango relish. And our favorite – crispy fried chicken and waffles, a hearty breakfast favorite that stays on the menu all day.

CaptainCooksGroupUncropped

No worries, the favorite hot beef ‘n blue sandwich stays, says Chef Pete Bruenen. Ditto for the pizzas, grilled chicken sandwich and house-made sushi, delivered from Kona Island upstairs. The grab ‘n go case stays filled with drinks, salads, sandwiches and the popular cold noodle salad and turkey club, says Chef Pete.

Fans of the breakfast Tonga Toast will still find it on the menu, along with a new breakfast burrito with egg, bacon, potatoes and Cheddar cheese.

Bridget Sherren, operations manager for Food & Beverage at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, shared a little news about Pineapple Lanai, opening the end of August. “Dole Whip gets its own dedicated spot,” she says, a new window in the courtyard for Dole Whip soft serve and floats (pineapple or vanilla Dole Whip). “It’s a great spot for families,” says Bridget.

Another new treat is Hawaiian shaved ice at Kona Island on the resort’s second floor. Located just off the monorail, Kona Island serves specialty coffee and pastries all day, and now shaved ice joins the lineup, along with takeout sushi. Hours are 6:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 5 – 10 p.m.

And watch for Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto to open in spring 2015 next door to Captain Cook’s. Details soon!

CCM796633THUMB CCM778634THUMB

Filed: Disney Dining, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

25 Comments Add Yours

Robert on August 18th, 2014 at 11:10 am

I read the menu and started to panic! Then I went back and read:

Whew!

Courtney from NE on August 18th, 2014 at 11:13 am

Capt. Cook’s vegetarian options got worse – I will miss the grown-up grilled cheese immensely :(

Jonathan on August 18th, 2014 at 11:23 am

I hear they also only have one cash register. Are they going to modify this to add more???

Debbie on August 18th, 2014 at 11:29 am

Will the Tambu Lounge and outdoor Barefoot Pool Bar remain when Trader Sam’s opens?

Peter on August 18th, 2014 at 11:37 am

So the only vegetarian entree is the cheese flatbread? That’s pretty disappointing. Maybe the udon noodle bowl can be ordered without meat?

Rikki from MO on August 18th, 2014 at 11:54 am

The updated menu looks great. I do wish that the menu still contained the delicious Grown-Up Grilled Cheese though. It was my absolute favorite thing that was served.

Robert on August 18th, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Can’t wait to try some of these! The meatballs look great as do the nachos! Some good looking sandwiches there too. Yummy! :)

Bradley on August 18th, 2014 at 12:40 pm

One minor comment — in Hawaii it is called “shave ice,” not “shaved ice” (there should be no “D”). Really looking forward to trying out the new offerings!

Vanessa from NJ on August 18th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’ll miss the grownup grilled cheese. It was an additiona vegetarian option too…. The rest sounds good though.

Ryan on August 18th, 2014 at 1:42 pm

It is very surprising that there will only be one vegetarian option here. Cheese flatbread? Not even an vegetarian option that includes vegetables. Is this an oversight? Disney is usually so good with vegetarian options.

Crystal on August 18th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Looks great, so apart from possibly the salad which dishes have gluten free options?

Joe on August 18th, 2014 at 2:08 pm

The grownup grilled cheese was what kept bringing my wife and I back time after time. I am sure the new offerings will be good but why do things like this have to be eliminated? It is apparent by the few comments listed so far that it was a popular offering. R.I.P Grownup Grilled Cheese…

Juliana on August 18th, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Please bring back the Grownup Gilled Cheese. PLEASE!!!

Keith on August 18th, 2014 at 2:37 pm

@Debbie – Tambu Lounge should remain even when Sam’s arrives. I can’t recall the details of Barefoot Bar but naturally some sort of pool bar will be available.

Betsy on August 18th, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I too was sad to see the Grownup Grilled Cheese gone. Can we please get it back? Pretty please with Boursin on top?

Alison on August 18th, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I got nervous when I didn’t see my absolute favorite pork sandwich mentioned in the article, but there it is on the menu and in the photo! Thank you for keeping it. It’s not a trip to the Polynesian without it! Or dole whip!

Bradley on August 18th, 2014 at 4:10 pm

So after seeing the pictures, reading the menu and reading the comments, I want to know what the Grown-Up Grilled Cheese is! lol It must’ve been a pretty wonderful thing :)

Anthony on August 18th, 2014 at 4:56 pm

So will Dole Whip be available inside Captain Cooks, or only at the Pineapple Lanai (when it opens)? In other words, is it available now, or will it not be available until the end of the month?

Also, will Dole Whip still be available from the self-serve machine, or will it be available only at the counter?

Rikki from MO on August 18th, 2014 at 5:48 pm

@Bradley, the Grown-Up Grilled Cheese was a thing of beauty. It was cheddar, swiss, and boursin cheese, lettuce and tomato on multi-grain bread. Add the poly chips and it was the perfect meal.

Christine on August 18th, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Also bummed about the adult grilled cheese! Please bring it back!!!! Pretty please with cheese on top! :)

Betsy on August 18th, 2014 at 7:51 pm

@Anthony it is not currently available until the Pineapple Lanai opens. I was just there on Thursday and confirmed this in person.

Anthony on August 19th, 2014 at 12:56 am

Thanks @Betsy. I’ll probably be there on the 29th or 30th, depending on which day has better weather. Next time, I guess.

Jessica on August 19th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Captain Cook – hahaha I get it

Anastasia on August 23rd, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Pam, I am just curious – how did you become a Disney Parks Food Writer? I would love to write about Disney Parks food all day. Thank you

christie on September 8th, 2014 at 4:24 pm

But the real question is will we still be able to get our own Dole Whip, or will they do it for us now?

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.