Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
'it's a small world' at Disneyland Park

Disney’s Hollywood Studios to Debut New Star Wars Experiences in December

posted on November 9th, 2015 by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

You heard about it first during the 2015 D23 EXPO, and now we’re excited to share more details. Very soon, guests visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios will have the opportunity to experience Star Wars in the park in an all-new way – every day! New experiences will open starting Dec. 1, bringing that galaxy far, far away, a little bit closer.

Star Wars Launch Bay will take guests into the Star Wars saga and the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, special merchandise and opportunities to encounter Chewbacca and Darth Vader.

ser234877

Star Tours – The Adventures Continue will be home to a brand new adventure inspired by the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. During the opening months, we’ll make sure that everyone who rides Star Tours will experience the new adventure. After that, it will be up to the will of the Force. Here’s a sneak peek of where the Starspeeder 1000 will be taking us.

We also have new information about “Star Wars: Path of the Jedi.” It will feature scenes from the complete Star Wars saga, also giving anyone new to the Star Wars galaxy an opportunity to get acquainted with the films.

Last, but certainly not least, is Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple, which will open in early December. This reimagined Jedi Training experience will take younglings to the secret site of an ancient Jedi temple where they will face Darth Vader along with the Seventh Sister – a new villain from the Disney XD series “Star Wars Rebels.”

And work begins next year on the 14-acre Star Wars-themed land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. With construction underway, unfortunately, we won’t be able to offer Star Wars Weekends. While Star Wars Weekends has been a great way to enjoy the saga for a few days every year, now the Force will be with Disney’s Hollywood Studios every day.

With Star Wars Launch Bay, the new Jedi Training experience, “Star Wars: Path of the Jedi” and a new destination in the Star Tours attraction opening in December, you’ll be able to step into the Star Wars saga every time you visit Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

1 2 4

156 Comments Add Yours

Darlene on November 9th, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Will there be FastPasses available for any part of this experience and if so starting when? My WDW trip is Dec 5 – 12th and would love to see this.

Thomas Smith on November 9th, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Hi Darlene, FastPass+ will be available for Star Tours – The Adventures Continue during your visit next month.

yulady from FL on November 9th, 2015 at 12:13 pm

A couple of questions:
Star Wars Path of the Jedi will this just be a recap video inside ABC Sound Studio?
When will Season of the Force start and how long will it last?
Will the Vader and Chewbacca meet and greet offer fp+?
Could you change the official Disney site where it still says that Star Wars Weekends is coming Summer 2016 to avoid confusion?

Thomas Smith on November 9th, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Great questions. “Star Wars: Path of the Jedi” will be a compilation of the Star Wars Saga. And currently, FastPass+ is only for for Star Tours – The Adventures Continue. Also, yes, the Star Wars Weekends page has been removed. Thanks.

Ashley on November 9th, 2015 at 12:15 pm

While the upcoming Star Wars land and Season of the Force are sure to be exciting, the statement that there will not be Star Wars Weekends is terribly disappointing, crushing actually. This is the only event that I specifically take time off to attend. Terrible news for a Monday. Please reconsider Disney…..

Graceanna on November 9th, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Hello,
So excited for all of this! Do have a question I thought season of the force was starting next year in lieu of Star Wars weekends?

Lori on November 9th, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Is the Darth Vader meet still going to be for Chase Visa cardholders only?

Thomas Smith on November 9th, 2015 at 2:22 pm

There will be a Star Wars Imperial Meet ‘N’ Greet for Disney Visa Credit Cardmembers only at a Cardmember –exclusive location at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Carlos on November 9th, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Very disappointed, Star Wars weekends was a tradition on our family and a fun weekend at the park, every year were were anxiously waiting for the dates to plan our trip, Star Wars weekends was a full day of Star Wars, parades, Fireworks and more, now it will just be a regular day at the park visiting Star Wars attractions. no parades, nothing special.

Unless there is something else coming?

Rod on November 9th, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Are you saying NO STAR WARS WEEKENDS in 2016?? Please KEEP THE WEEKENDS!!!!!!!

Lucia on November 9th, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Does that mean no more fireworks either?

Thomas Smith on November 9th, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Hi Lucia, there will be Star Wars inspired fireworks beginning in January. Keep watching the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

Jose on November 9th, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I see no mention of the special Star Wars fireworks show, will that still be happening?

Kayla on November 9th, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I have such mixed emotions about this. I am happy to say that I got to experience the last Star Wars Weekends last year with some dear friends, but I am sad we won’t get to experience it again. The parade, special fireworks, and celebrity talk shows were always fantastic. BUT I guess I won’t be too sad since soon enough we will have a brand new 14 acre land to explore.

Thank you for the update!

Erin on November 9th, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Very excited about all of this! For both Disneyland and Hollywood Studios, will the new Star Tours scenes have any spoilers for the new movie? We are hardcore fans and are thrilled to be able to experience Seasons of the Force before the movie, but don’t want to spoil any info about the story ahead of time!

Leslie from FL on November 9th, 2015 at 12:54 pm

So what happened to the great reveal for the HS special event ticket holders? Why is this opening on December 1st? We paid extra for this exclusive reveal. Not cool.

Jennifer on November 9th, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Is the a Darth Vader meet and greet available now for Chase Visa cardholders at Hollywood Studies? I didn’t know that?

Deann from TN on November 9th, 2015 at 12:57 pm

So, will there be a Star Wars Weekends in 2016 or not? The website still says “coming summer 2016″ and I’m trying to make plans if this is the last one. Thanks!

Christy on November 9th, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I just checked FP for Christmas Day and none are listed except Star Tours. Will they be added?
Are there any special Star Wars dining experiences?

Jacquelin on November 9th, 2015 at 1:09 pm

One of the unique things about Star Wars Weekends is the opportunity to experience meet and greets with actual Star Wars actors in addition to special behind the scenes shows with those actors. And for guests to be able to plan in advance to visit the parks during this scheduled time. Will SWW be replaced with other special opportunities with actors/autographs like I mentioned above?

James from SC on November 9th, 2015 at 1:18 pm

While I’m excited for the additions, it is very disappointing the Star Wars Weekends have been discontinued–especially when the website has said they were returning. This has become a family tradition for us over the past few years and we had planned our vacation in May 2016 specifically for Star Wars Weekends.

Jovanny on November 9th, 2015 at 1:22 pm

but this entire new star wars area wont be open for a few years… I was very much looking forward to star wars weekend 2016 :(

Tommy from SC on November 9th, 2015 at 1:23 pm

So, is Star Wars weekends cancelled for 2016? The Walt Disney World website still says “Star Wars Weekends coming summer 2016″.

Autumn on November 9th, 2015 at 1:24 pm

So disappointed! LOVED star wars weekends because it was a chance to see ALL the characters- not just Chewy and Vader, and the Motorcade and getting to see all the stars! I mean I got to see Mark Hamil! It doesn’t get better than that. I expected Star Wars land to add to Star Wars Weekends, not take it away. I’m sad that I will no longer be visiting Disney Parks this coming May.

Joshua on November 9th, 2015 at 1:26 pm

” With construction underway, unfortunately, we won’t be able to offer Star Wars Weekends.”

Further clarification is needed. Is it a temporary cancellation or will it remain canceled after construction is completed?

Jennifer on November 9th, 2015 at 1:29 pm

The additions will be awesome once they’re here; SWW would have been great to help with the wait. For what it’s worth, I wasn’t really a fan of SW until I experienced my first SWW. It really was an amazing event.
My question is: what about the Premiere Party at Hollywood Studios on Opening Night? It seems like all the events that were supposed to take place that night will already be going on (I realize we’re still waiting for an official date for fireworks). Not quite sure what the event is for now. Will you guys be adding any special events that will be unique to the evening?

Patricia on November 9th, 2015 at 1:32 pm

So sad to read this, I loved the parade and the presentations.

Teresa from PA on November 9th, 2015 at 1:32 pm

We are very, very disappointed at the end of the Star Wars Weekends. They were a special event for our family every year. The new rides and experiences will not make up for the loss of the community of fans who attended the SWW.

Maria from CT on November 9th, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Please PLEASE say there will be FP+ for Vader and Chewie. We waited for several hours last Star Wars Weekend in line for Vader and never got to see him. Will the Chase Visa character meet and greet be opening in December too? *fingers crossed*

Colorina on November 9th, 2015 at 1:43 pm

While I am proud to hear that Disney is bringing new Star Wars additions to the park, I am extremely disappointed that Star Wars Weekends has been cancelled. Such a popular event where people plan months in advance suddenly cancelled with no explanation whether the event will return the following year. I understand the new Star Wars Land is being brought to life, but a few new offerings will not replace the anticipation of an amazing event like Star Wars Weekends. It was such a special occasion meeting characters from both trilogies, seeing celebrities from these beloved films and watching the motorcade. We don’t even know when Star Wars Land is opening or how long the process will take. If there was some way to confirm Star Wats Weekends would return some time in the near future, it would be most appreciated.

Jesse on November 9th, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Will we finally be able to find the droids we’re looking for?

Ashley on November 9th, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Carlos on November 9th, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I see that everybody is expressing their disappointment, Star Wars weekends was a very special occasion for our family, in fact it was an “extra” trip to Disney World” just for Star Wars weekends, waking up at 5am to rush to the park to sign the boys up for the Jedi Training Academy, everything was part of the experience, I guess now we will cancel our May trip to Disney and just visit the Star Wars attraction on any other trip as they will always be there.

I know that my kids will be sad and in tears when I tell the news after school today.

Nothing special, a big dissapointment.

Lara on November 9th, 2015 at 2:01 pm

So does this mean in 2016 there will be no Star Wars Character dining?

Jessica from FL on November 9th, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I’m sure there is a lot of good things to come at Hollywood Studios, but it’s hard to see it when now the Osborne Festival of Lights and Star Wars Weekends, two of my families favorite events, are in their last years. My favorite part of SWW was the parade and the opportunity for my Star Wars loving son to see a lot of characters and interact with some on the streets (the Jawas are a family favorite). While doing away with the Weekends, I do hope Disney considers integrating some of these character experiences in whatever plans they have.

Sarah from OH on November 9th, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Will the new version of Jedi Training have the same 4-12 age limit as the previous version of the experience?

Rene on November 9th, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Just to be clear on this. So there will never be a Star Wars Weekends ever again? I was planning on going in 2017.

John on November 9th, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I’ve been promising my daughter for YEARS that we would go to Star Wars Weekends. Next year was the year. Have reservations at Animal Kingdom Lodge and everything. There will be tears. My daughter will be upset too.

Thomas on November 9th, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Any chance of some soft openings? We are coming next week =(

Cory on November 9th, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I am so depressed about Star Wars Weekends ending. I pretty much knew it was coming and I thought I was prepared for it, but I wasn’t. Star Wars Weekends has been an annual event for me and my wife since 2006 and we have gone every weekend since 2011. I really hope you replace it with something as special. While I understand with the new Star Wars attractions every day will be a Star Wars day that doesn’t make it special like Star Wars Weekends did. I fear we have lost a wonderful thing forever.

James on November 9th, 2015 at 2:23 pm

James’ wife here – TOO MUCH FUN AND EXCITEMENT TO ANTICIPATE!!! Every time I think I have WDW figured out and under control something gets added or changed!! AAGGHHH – I need a personal assistant to monitor and stay apprised to build into our next adventure at WDW!

Thank-goodness for this BLOG because I would be lost without all your updates, they really help and allow my family and me to modify or adapt to the changes going on at WDW! (and prep for future vacations)

I always tell people that no matter how often you go to Disney it will always be different or have a new experience somewhere along the way, which only adds to the thrill of going to WDW!

I just wished my family lived closer to Disney World, or could get there more often than once a year because this BLOG reminds me once a year is not enough!

<WDW!

Raven on November 9th, 2015 at 2:25 pm

This is such a bummer :(

Douglas on November 9th, 2015 at 2:30 pm

As a 501st and Rebel Legion member, enlight of SWW being cancelled, I would love to get more information on Seasons of the Force at Hollywood Studios and if the 501st will be asked to participate.

James on November 9th, 2015 at 2:30 pm

<3WDW!

my heart was missing there on my last post :)

Loralee on November 9th, 2015 at 2:42 pm

We booked our vacation specifically for star wars weekend next year. Hotel and plane tickets already purchased. This is very disappointing news and I am hopeful by May 2016 there will be something additional over the usual star wars themed rides and experiences.

Cavin on November 9th, 2015 at 2:43 pm

I find my lack of faith disturbing.

Chris on November 9th, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Like Christmas everyday but eventually that will get old. Disney will then try to keep guest entertained because the newness will have worn off. The best things about Star Wars Weekends was families like my own would plan special vaction for this. The parades, the fireworks, the special meet and greet with characters, park exclusive merchandise and of course celebrity actors and voice actors. I bet the powers that be did not plan on that. Please do not get rid of the weekends.
Chris

Paula on November 9th, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Star Wars Weekends were my favorite special event. James Arnold Taylor, Peter Mayhew, Warwick Davis, and all the others made them truly incredible. The 501st, the extra characters, and the shows will all be missed.

James on November 9th, 2015 at 2:55 pm

/cry Our only day at DHS is Nov 29th.. Why?!?!? WHY!?!?!?

Jamie on November 9th, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Does this mean we will likely not see any more Star Wars celebrities making appearances for events and/or autograph sessions?

Wendy on November 9th, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Is seasons of the force going to be an annual thing or is it for this coming year only?

Shauna on November 9th, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Will the Jedi Training be in place by the beginning of December? We will be at DHS on the 5th, and would LOVE to put our kids in, especially since it was closed when we were there in October. Will it still be the same hurry for slots on park opening, or will there be changes in FP access? Thanks!

Debbie on November 9th, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I am very sad to hear that Disney has chosen to end Star Wars weekends they will be missed

Anna on November 9th, 2015 at 3:17 pm

I am SO disappointed that SW Weekends have been cancelled. We had planned our vacation in May 2016 specifically for Star Wars Weekends. Are the special dining options with Darth Vadar and Jedi Mickey also cancelled? I understand there’s a cost element to bring SW talent to attend these weekends, but please don’t cancel the entire event. My children were hoping to see the parade and fireworks show and dine with Vadar. We’re excited that Star Wars land is under construction but that won’t open for many years and quite honestly, Launch Bay, a new Jedi Training, isn’t a big draw for us. We’ll likely cancel our plans.

1 2 4

You must be logged in to post a comment!

Login or create an account to comment.