February is National Potato Lover’s Month, a perfect excuse to make this delicious, slightly decadent recipe from Disney’s PCH Grill that could serve as a main dish (add a big green salad and dinner is done).
What’s not to love about a potato that’s baked, then fried and topped off with a little bacon, sour cream and Cheddar? These mini smashed potatoes would also be perfect appetizers for a game day party.
This recipe is from the generous dinner buffet at Disney’s PCH Grill Beachside Bonfire Buffet at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, and is the perfect side for the kitchen’s smoked tri-tip, ribs, fish tacos, sautéed shrimp, steamed clams and fried chicken, or paired with a mini burger or a hot dog right off the grill. In addition to dinner, you can catch a wave with breakfast favorites at the Surf’s Up! Breakfast with Mickey and Friends at Disney’s PCH Grill, featuring an omelet station, signature flatbreads, parfaits, Mickey waffles and more.
To make reservations, visit Disneyland.com/dine or call 714-781-DINE.
Mini Smashed Potatoes
Mini Smashed Potatoes
12 miniature gold potatoes, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter
8 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream
3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon chopped chives
For smashed potatoes
- Place potatoes, water and 1 tablespoon of salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and reduce to a simmer. Continue simmering for 15 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a baking sheet. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place a small plate on top of one potato, and gently push down, until the potato is 1/3 of its original size and just begins to split open on the side. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch frying pan over medium high-heat for 3-5 minutes, until oil reaches 350°F.
- Carefully place the potatoes in the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Place smashed potatoes on a large serving platter.
- Top each potato with 1 teaspoon of sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon chopped bacon, 1 teaspoon shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of chives.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.