Earlier this year, I told you that a brand-new and completely remodeled LEGO Store is coming this spring to the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort. The construction is complete and the beautifully remodeled LEGO Store is open for business! This store offers a vast assortment of the latest LEGO products that enable guests of all ages to design and build. The newly added outdoor space has been created with an interactive LEGO play area, and inside the addition of a beautiful new glass-enclosed mezzanine is featured prominently in the center of the store. LEGO fans both young and old will enjoy the wide variety of LEGO boxed sets as well as the massive “pick a brick” wall which will allow guests to customize their LEGO selection.
To celebrate the grand reopening of the location, LEGO will host a Master Build Event to take place Friday, May 25, through Sunday, May 27, from 12–8 pm each day. Guests will have the opportunity to assemble small sections of Brickley the Sea Serpent, and the small sections will be assembled into larger sections by the LEGO Master Builder. Each day, one of three big sections will be assembled, head, hump & tail, until a fully formed Brickley the Sea Serpent is created! Following the Master Build Event, Brickley the Sea Serpent will submerge until his next event.
I invite you to join us at this terrific event at the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort, either as a spectator or a participant!
Read on for more news from the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort:
Cinco de Mayo will be celebrated with food, fun and festivities in the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort! Our favorite Cocina de Mexico, Tortilla Jo’s, will offer a special three-course Cinco de Mayo menu for $27, which will include:
First Course (choice of):
- Soupa de Chorizo con Pappas – Creamy Russet Potato Soup served with sautéed leeks and Mexican chorizo topped with a cilantro oil drizzle and crema fresca
- Ensalada de Berros – Crisp watercress tossed in orange bacon vinaigrette topped with shaved fennel, diced tomatoes, sunkist orange segments and grated parmesan cheese
Second Course (choice of):
- Pescado Estilo Veracruz – Pan-seared red snapper served with seasoned green onion fingerling potatoes topped with a jalapeno caper Veracruz sauce
Tinga de Carne – Slow-roasted, shredded beef tinga on a bed of boston lettuce topped with cotija cheese and lemon crema fresca accompanied with Fresno chile frijoles and tortilla ribbons
- Panna Cotta de Vino Rojo – Creamy, slow-baked custard served with three dipping sauces: strawberry and red wine syrup, mint julip and lime glaze and coconut milk creme anglaise
Complete the celebration with specialty margaritas, including:
- Blanco Traditional Margarita – Karma Blanco tequila, fresh lime juice, simple syrup
- Margarita de Raspberry Rojo – Karma Reposado Tequila, fresh lime juice, raspberries, simple syrup with a float of Grand Marnier
- Green Melon Margarita – Karma Blanco tequila, fresh lime juice, simple syrup and float of Midori Melon Liqueur
Tortilla Jo’s will offer something for everyone! The entire family can join in the fun of the celebration with three pinata sessions at 3 p.m., 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. Early in the evening, the traditional sounds of Mexico will fill Tortilla Jo’s as we proudly present the Grammy award-winning Mariachi Divas from 6 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. Audiences will also be delighted by the South American music played by the popular band Alturas nearby in the Downtown Disney District.
We invite you to join us in the Downtown Disney District for our Cinco de Mayo celebration – I hope to see you there!
I am so excited to announce another terrific improvement coming soon to the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort: a brand-new, fully remodeled Sunglass Icon store will open just in time for summer 2012!
As you approach the location, you will immediately be awed by the strong black architectural storefront portal that is offset by the soft glow of color-changing lights. The newly constructed flagship store will feature a focal wall made of two layers of patterned glass and a back layer with a two-way mirror to allow for visibility and dynamic reflections. The use of color-changing LED lights above the millwork and LED cubes hanging from the ceiling will add just the right touch of whimsy.
A new interactive feature will be the “Social Sun” screen which allows for a fun, social experience. Imagine trying on a new style of sunglasses, taking a picture and immediately emailing it to a friend or posting it to Facebook so friends and family can give feedback on your sunglass selection!
Sunglass Icon will open in June 2012. We look forward to this newly remodeled location and the 1,100 pairs of their top sunglass brands!
Dress up in your festive green attire and join us in the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort to share a little luck of the Irish as we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! The district will be alive with celebration, and some of the festivities to enjoy will include:
- Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen – Celebrate with green beer and Executive Chef Darrin Finkel’s corned beef and cabbage, and then relax with a delicious Irish coffee. Celebrate the Creole way with Kenny Sara and the Sounds of New Orleans performing 7–11 p.m. in the Flambeaux Room. Jazz Kitchen Express will also feature corned beef and cabbage slaw Po’boys.
- Uva Bar – Enjoy Irish-inspired fare and fun with pints o’ Irish beer and delectable pub-inspired menu items, including Guinness beer and Irish cheddar dip, potato leek soup, black-and-tan battered fish and chips, corned beef boxty, and a mouth-watering milk chocolate Guinness cake! Indulge in some tasty Irish drink specials such as Finian’s “Five Provinces” whiskey, Redbreast pot still whiskey, Harp Draft, Murphy’s Stout Can, and Murphy’s Red Bottle.
- House of Blues – Stop by for the 2nd Annual St. Patrick’s Day Slam featuring Street Dogs w/ Devil’s Brigade, Muder the Stout, and Old Man Markley. Find out more details about show times and admission prices by visiting www.HOB.com. Feast on some delicious Irish fare – House of Blues style – such as Irish nachos, Lucky Fish Tacos or Guinness Stew, and top off your meal with a scrumptious Bailey’s Irish marble cheesecake; and be sure to toast the night with a “Kiss Me, I’m Irish Martini”!
Remember – as the Irish say, “If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, then you’re lucky enough.” I hope to see you in the Downtown Disney District on St. Patrick’s Day!
On Monday, March 5, House of Blues Anaheim at the Downtown Disney District will commemorate the 30th anniversary of the passing of John “Joliet Jake” Belushi with a viewing party of the special memorial concert, “The Official Blues Brothers Revue Live” from The Rialto Square Theater in Joliet, Ill. The viewing party is free for all House of Blues Anaheim restaurant guests.
“The Official Blues Brothers Revue Live,” presented by Dan Aykroyd and Judith Belushi, will feature special original Blues Brothers band guests Paul Shaffer, Tom “Bones” Malone, “Blue” Lou Marini, Matt “Guitar” Murphy and Otis Day (“Animal House”), and will be hosted by Father Guido Sarducci.
If you can’t make it to the viewing party at House of Blues Anaheim on March 5, the event will be webcast live on Facebook! Just go to the “Blues Brothers Live” tab on the House of Blues Anaheim Facebook page to RSVP for this once-in-a-lifetime event. The live broadcast will be available for $5 via Facebook Credits, PayPal or credit card. All proceeds from the webcast will benefit International House of Blues Foundation.
Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog for more Downtown Disney District events!
Calling all reggae fans in the Southern California area! Tomorrow, February 25, House of Blues Anaheim in the Downtown Disney District will feature “Local Brews Local Grooves presents OC Roots & Hops Reggae Fest 2012.” Starting at noon, local reggae bands like Seedless, Micah Brown, Pilot Touhill and more will perform at this family-friendly, all-day music festival.
Guests will also be able to enjoy local beers from Hangar 24, Anchor Steam, Bootleggers and Lost Coast and an open-air grill featuring Caribbean cuisine designed by House of Blues Executive Chef Jeffrey Meyer.
Tickets are $20, which includes a $10 voucher for food and beverage. Come join the fun and enjoy the sunshine, reggae grooves and California’s best brews!
Click here for more information and to purchase tickets.
Join us on Fat Tuesday at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen as “New Orleans Mardi Gras comes to Downtown Disney!”
Fat Tuesday is famously celebrated on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, but here in the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort, we have our very own taste of New Orleans! Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen will offer a festive celebration on Tuesday, Feb. 21, where guests will enjoy special New Orleans entrees by Executive Chef Darrin Finkel featured all day, including:
- Red Beans & Rice
- New Orleans Jambalaya
- Be sure to enjoy the famous Jazz Kitchen Beignets!
And don’t forget these terrific drink specials:
- Abita Draft Beer Specials – $3.00
- Hurricanes – $5.00
Special entertainment will feature:
- Performances by Kenny Sara and the Sounds of New Orleans, playing Mardi Gras favorites from 7 – 10 p.m. in the Flambeaux Room. Get your beads and napkins ready to start a 2nd-line parade when they play “When the Saints Go Marching In”!
- Magician performing table-side tricks from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
- Authentic Mardi Gras beads for sale – bring your own beads or add to your collection!
Plus, fans of Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen on Facebook can “Become Jazz Kitchen Royalty for a Day!”
- “Like” Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen on Facebook and enter to win.
- One lucky fan will be crowned King or Queen on Fat Tuesday at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen!
- Winner gets VIP Seating for you and your Royal Court, Specialty Beads, AND $100 to spend on Fat Tuesday at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen.
- For complete rules, visit rbjazzkitchen.com.
We look forward to seeing you at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen for a night of fun for the entire family!
Romance is in the air! Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort will once again host “Romance of the Big Band Era” this Valentine’s Day, and if you and your sweetheart are looking for a place to celebrate look no further! Starting today, you will find everything your hearts desire, including:
- Swing bands at the Main Stage – nightly from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 11: Tim Gill & The All-Stars
- Sunday, Feb. 12: The Swingcats
- Monday, Feb. 13: The Wise Guys
- Tuesday, Feb. 14: Tim Gill & The All-Stars
- Swing dancers will be invited to be part of the festivities and in addition to offering swing dance lessons, there will be a Swing Dance-Off competition as well!
- “Gone with the Wind” at AMC Theaters – Feb. 10-16 (check here for showtimes)
- Select restaurants offering special menus with couples dinner packages:
- Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen
- House of Blues
- Make your reservation soon! Call Disney Dining at (714) 781-DINE or (714) 781-3463 to make a reservation.
Be sure to pick up a red rose for your sweetheart from one of the flower vendors! We look forward to seeing you enjoying the festivities. Happy Valentine’s Day from the Downtown Disney District!
If you read my posts last week about the changes coming to La Brea Bakery Café and the LEGO Store, you know that there are new and exciting things coming to Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort, and today I am excited to announce that Earl of Sandwich is coming in early summer 2012!
The new restaurant, which continues to have historical ties to the inventor of the sandwich, the Sandwich family, will be located adjacent to AMC Theatres. Signature hot sandwiches will be available including The Original 1762, a sandwich of freshly roasted beef, sharp cheddar and creamy horseradish sauce all on freshly baked artisan bread. Soups, salads, wraps and desserts also are on the menu. Earl of Sandwich offers a vast array of hot and cold beverages including The Earl’s Grey Lemonade. Breakfast sandwiches and pastries will be available in the morning and a variety of catering options will be offered at this location.
This will be the only Earl of Sandwich in California and it is sure to be a favorite among our guests as it has been at the Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Paris.
We are very excited to welcome Earl of Sandwich to Downtown Disney District and hope to see you all there this summer!
A brand-new and completely remodeled LEGO Store is coming this spring to the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort! The current store opened in 2001 and has held some of the largest and most amazing LEGO models found anywhere in world. Millions of guests have visited the store and created memories that will last the rest of their lives.
This month, the LEGO Store will move into a temporary location in the Downtown Disney District, while its permanent site gets a complete LEGO overhaul! Guests will enjoy a brand-new interactive outdoor play area, all-new play areas inside the store, and of course, new large-scale LEGO models located both inside and outside the re-imagined LEGO Store.
Check back for updates on the Disney Parks Blog for details on the LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Celebration this spring!