One of the most popular videos on the Disney Parks Blog continues to be one of our first projects – A Model Day at Magic Kingdom Park. Since introducing readers to tilt-shift at Disney Parks, we’ve featured Epcot, Disney California Adventure, Disneyland Paris, Disneyland park and even a special Disney Cruise Line adventure. Take a look at our latest tilt-shift video highlighting the beauty of Tokyo Disneyland.
posted on August 7th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
posted on August 6th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
Last month, we talked with our creative team about the resort flyovers now available with My Disney Experience – a key component of MyMagic+ at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, we’re talking with some of you about getting started on the web site and mobile app.
New to My Disney Experience? It’s the key to personalizing your entire visit. Getting started is easy – really, it’s done in just three steps.
Next, link any of your Walt Disney World Resort Hotel reservations and park tickets to your account planning page. If you don’t have reservations or tickets, both can be added later.
And the final step is the best part – selecting your favorite Disney attractions, shows and more with FastPass+ and booking dining reservations. You can also set up reminders for fireworks times, parades and character experiences along with many other features.
We’re just getting going with our MyMagic+ series so tell us what you’d like to know more about and check back for our next story.
posted on August 3rd, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
Each week, we’re asking for your special Disneyland Resort photo memories from a specific decade for a chance to win a trip to the kick-off of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration in spring 2015. And this week, it’s favorite memories from the 1970s.
When the submission period is complete, we’ll select the top five photos from each decade, and Disney Parks Blog readers will vote for the top photo from each of the Disneyland Decades. Each decade winner will receive a special Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration prize. Then, we’ll give you the chance to vote for one Grand Prize winner from among the winners of each decade. This lucky fan will win a trip to the start of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration in spring 2015!
No purchase necessary. Entries must be received by 8/27/14. 18/age of majority+, 50 US/DC only. Void where prohibited. See Rules for details.
And time is running out to vote for your next downloadable Disney Parks Blog desktop wallpaper. Our Disneyland Resort Artist Sketch teams have created new images which pay homage to the beloved Haunted Mansion attraction, celebrating 45 spooky years at Disneyland park next week. Now, it’s up to you to choose.
Let us know which of the four artist sketch designs is your favorite. Voting ends at 5 p.m. PDT on Monday, August 4.
Here are some of the other stories we worked on this week.
New Challenge, New Medal for Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort – Tinker Bell is at it again! runDisney introduced the Pixie Dust Challenge for Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort, May 7-10, 2015.
Join the Story with ‘Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!’ at Disneyland Park – Learn how to get involved in “Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!” Join Eagle Eye Erin and the folks of Rainbow Ridge or Two Bit Tyler and Frontierland.
Disney Cruise Line Summer Recipe: Orange Cilantro Marinated Flank Steak – Need something new for your next summer barbeque? Try this recipe from Disney Cruise Line!
Meet the Horses of the Disneyland Resort: Finn and Bug – Read more about these Brabant draft horses, part of the team on the Horse Drawn Streetcar on Main Street, U.S.A and the Big Thunder Ranch petting farm.
Treat Yourself to the Pretzels and Peanut Butter Gourmet Apple at the Disneyland Resort -Take a look at the latest creation from the Disneyland Resort Candy Makers and where to get it at the Disneyland Resort!
Download a Special Disney Parks Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Wallpaper -Mark the 15th anniversary of the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster with this special wallpaper for your desktop, iPad or mobile phone.
Five Things You Can’t Miss During Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland Park – Make your list of must-do’s at Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland Park!
posted on July 30th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
A national search is under way for the cutest video celebrating the Disney Side of pets – and I know Disney Parks Blog readers are up for the challenge. The popular Animal Planet America’s Cutest TV show is producing a special Disney Side edition for a Howl-O-Ween Pet-acular that’ll air later this year and they want to hear from you.
Whether you dress your dog as a jungle cruise skipper or build a hamster-sized Splash Mountain, your pet could become bigger than the Astro Orbiter by appearing in Animal Planet’s Howl-O-Ween Pet-acular.
It’s easy to share your pet’s Disney Side video. Just visit the Animal Planet entry page and add your clip. Here are a few tips:
- Hold your camera or phone horizontally instead of vertically.
- Film in the highest resolution possible and please don’t compress.
- No music, radio or TV in the background.
- Please include the pets face in the clip.
After you’ve shared your video, watch America’s Cutest: The Disney Side Edition in October to find out if your pet’s Disney Side is one of America’s cutest. Also, let us know about your pet’s Disney Side in the comments.
posted on July 29th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
We thought Disney Parks Blog readers would enjoy a little something special for the 15th anniversary of the popular Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith. So today, we asked Disney artist Jeff Maurer to create a special new mobile/desktop wallpaper especially for the occasion.
Also, check out our growing gallery of special wallpapers with images for all of your favorite screens.
posted on July 27th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
While some of the surprises being planned for this one-night-only party remain hidden under a cloak of mystery, Shawn shared new details about the August 23rd event, including the Villainy in the Sky Fireworks Spectacular. Check out our original story for more.
And we shared new special pricing on theme park tickets and accommodations for active duty U.S. military personnel at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. We have more details for both locations in our original blog story.
Here are some of the other stories we worked on this week.
Remembering James Garner at the Disneyland Resort – Take a look back at a special memory with Oscar-nominated actor James Garner at the Disneyland Resort.
The All-American College Band Returns for the Summer at Disneyland Resort – Check out this video of the All-American College Band in action, now playing at Disneyland Resort Tuesdays through Saturdays until August 15.
Disneyland Resort Viewing Tips: Top 5 Locations to Watch ‘Magical’ Fireworks Spectacular – Disney Parks Blog author Tyler Slater gives us some top tips for watching fireworks at Disneyland Resort.
‘The Music of: Nashville’ Gets Toes Tappin’ at Disneyland Park – Treat yourself to some of the best tunes from the show “Nashville,” along with fun behind-the-scenes stories and more!
Share Your Favorite Disneyland Resort Memories from the 1960s – Do you have a photo of yourself at Disneyland Resort during the 1960s? Share with us for a chance to win a trip to the start of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration in spring 2015!
Download our Disney Parks Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Wallpaper – In celebration of the 20th anniversary of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, try out this spooky wallpaper on your desktop or mobile device.
Disney Cruise Line Summer Recipe: Tomato Cake – Click through for this special Disney Cruise Line recipe, perfect for a light, summer meal!
posted on July 25th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
If you’ve been following our MyMagic+ updates, then you know My Disney Experience is the key to personalizing your visit. It’s one of several MyMagic+ benefits and tools now available to guests visiting Walt Disney World Resort.
Recently, the team working on My Disney Experience added some new features, including amazing flyovers of our resorts that we wanted to share with readers.
The 3-D modeling and a “camera view” from inside the animation gives you a great perspective – from birds eye to 360-degrees – at resort features (pools, recreation, monorail, amenities) and proximity to our parks.
Ken Oelerich, a design director on the project, was able to layer creative over Walt Disney World Resort maps and create a 3-D environment with the unique “camera” view. Ken says the team was not limited by where a helicopter could fly to bring the resorts to life for My Disney Experience.
Currently, the new flyovers are for Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Disney’s Contemporary Resort and Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa with Disney’s Polynesian Resort coming soon. Go see the flyovers and other new features at My Disney Experience.
posted on July 23rd, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
UPDATE: Our “Guardians of the Galaxy” Disney Parks Blog meet-up has been has been filled to capacity. Click here for a list of official attendees.
Sure, the “Guardians of the Galaxy” movie hits theaters in August but the Disney Parks Blog is providing a special opportunity to see it early. On Sunday, July 27, 2014, we’re hosting a “Guardians of the Galaxy” Disney Parks Blog meet-up at the AMC Downtown Disney 24 at Walt Disney World Resort.
“Guardians of the Galaxy” is an action-packed, epic space adventure where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunter after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits for a last, desperate stand — with the galaxy’s fate in the balance.
Our event begins at 10 a.m. on Sunday, July 27, in AMC Downtown Disney 24. At the meet-up, you’ll be able to watch the “Guardians of the Galaxy” in RealD 3D. Some of the meet-up attendees may be wearing Super Hero costumes (no masks) and it’d be great if you did too, subject to the costume guidelines below.
RSVP now by sending us an email titled “Guardians of the Galaxy’ Meet-Up” with your name, address and if you’ll be bringing a guest to WDW.BlogMeetUps@disney.com. Only one guest is permitted. A limited number of people will be able to attend the event, so be one of the first to sign up.
Also, there are a few things you should know:
- All attendees who sign up for the event must be 18 years or older, but guests do not need to be 18 or older.
- “Guardians of the Galaxy” is rated PG-13.
- Costumes should adhere to any guidelines determined by Disney including:
- Costumes should not be obstructive, offensive or violent; drag on the ground; contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another guest; contain any weapons or objects which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon. Masks will not be permitted.
- Costumes are also subject to any rules posted or otherwise provided by AMC Downtown Disney 24 including without limitation the following AMC notice: “We will not allow any guests into our theatres in costumes that make other guests feel uncomfortable and we will not permit face-covering masks or fake weapons inside our buildings.”
- Limit one guest per registrant.
- We will send a confirmation email to individuals whose valid RSVPs are received by us via email before we reach the planned capacity to confirm their attendance for the event.
- If confirmed, it will be necessary for the registrant and guest to check in at the AMC Downtown Disney 24 West Side for access to the event. The confirmation will include those details.
- Valid photo I.D. will be required at check-in.
- Meet-up confirmations are non-transferrable and have no cash value.
- Confirmation will be for the accepted registered person and guest.
- If you do not receive an email from us confirming your reservation, then your RSVP was not accepted.
- The event is subject to change or cancellation without notice.
This post will be updated after the planned capacity has been reached.
Also, here are some other things to know:
- This is an advance screening of the film. Closed Captioning and Descriptive Video services may not be available.
- Please arrive early. Seating is first come, first seated. No one will be admitted late. We may refuse, revoke or limit admission in our sole discretion at any time.
- NO RECORDING
The screening will be monitored for unauthorized recording. By attending, you agree not to bring any video or audio recording devices (including, without limitation, cameras) into the venue and you consent to a physical search of your belongings and person for recording devices. If you attempt to enter with a recording device, you will be denied admission. If you attempt to use a recording device during this screening, you consent to your immediate removal from the venue and forfeiture of your recording device and its contents. Any attempted unauthorized recording will be reported to law enforcement and may subject you to criminal and civil liability. We reserve the right to pursue any and all available remedies at law and in equity for any unauthorized recording and/or copyright infringement, including without limitation statutory damages of up to $150,000 per violation, and nothing contained in this notice shall be construed to limit our available remedies and/or legal recourse. You assume all risks of personal injury arising from or incidental to attending the screening, whether occurring prior to, during, or after the event. Further, by attending you grant permission to Disney Destinations, LLC, its licensees, licensors, affiliates and agents, to record and utilize your name, voice and likeness to publicize the screening and promote the movie.
posted on July 22nd, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
Our celebration of the 20th anniversary of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror continues with a new mobile/desktop wallpaper. It’s probably my favorite of the year so far – created by Disney artist Mike Britton especially for Disney Parks Blog readers. Enjoy!
posted on July 21st, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
Today, we’re announcing new special pricing on theme park tickets and accommodations for active duty U.S. military personnel at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Here’s a look at the details:
At Walt Disney World Resort – from August 25, 2014, through September 30, 2015, active and retired U.S. military personnel (including active and retired members of the United States Coast Guard, National Guard and Reservists) or their spouses can purchase:
- Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets with Park Hopper Option for $177 each, plus tax
- Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets with Water Park Fun and More Option for $177 each, plus tax
- Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets with Park Hopper and Water Park Fun and More Options for $207 each, plus tax.
Walt Disney World Resort tickets may be used September 28, 2014, through October 3, 2015, except that the tickets may not be used December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015 and March 29 – April 9, 2015.
For information on Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets for admission to Walt Disney World Resort, or to make room reservations at Walt Disney World Resort, military personnel may call 407-939-7830 or participating U.S. military base ticket offices.
At the Disneyland Resort – from August 25, 2014, through October 1, 2015, active and retired U.S. military personnel (including active and retired members of the United States Coast Guard, National Guard and Reservists) or their spouses can purchase:
- Disney Military Promotional 3-Day Park Hopper Tickets for $132 each
Disneyland tickets may be used September 28, 2014, through October 3, 2015, except that the tickets may not be used December 25, 2014 – January 4, 2015 and March 29 – April 9, 2015.
Active and retired U.S. military personnel can purchase Disney Military Promotional Tickets for themselves and up to five additional family members or friends. No more than six Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased by any eligible member of the U.S. military (or spouse) pursuant to this offer. All tickets and options are non-transferable and must be used by October 3, 2015.
Active and retired U.S. military personnel can also take advantage of specially priced rooms at select Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort hotels.* This offer is valid for stays most nights from September 28, 2014, through October 3, 2015, except for:
- November 27 – November 29, 2014
- December 24 – December 31, 2014
- March 30 – April 4, 2015
For information regarding Disney 3-Day Military Promotional Tickets for admission to the Disneyland Resort, or to make room reservations at the Disneyland Resort, military personnel may call 714-520-7088 or participating U.S. military base ticket offices. Information is also available at disneymilitaryoffers.com.
Here are some other details you should know about:
- Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased at participating U.S. military sales outlets ONLY by Eligible Service Members (defined below) or their spouses (but not both), for use by themselves and other family members and friends, as provided herein. These Tickets may not be otherwise transferred, distributed or resold.
- “Eligible Service Members” are active or retired members of the U.S. military, including the National Guard, Reservists and the U.S. Coast Guard.
- The actual prices charged at the individual U.S. military base ticket offices for Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be less than the prices set forth above.
- Participating military sales outlets must require that Eligible Service Members (or their spouses) present valid military identification to purchase Disney Military Promotional Tickets.
- Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets for admission to the Walt Disney World Resort are not valid until activated by the Eligible Service Members (or their spouses) at Walt Disney World theme park ticket windows. Tickets and options expire and may not be used after October 3, 2015. Valid military identification will be required for purchase and use.
- Disney 3-Day Military Promotional Tickets for admission to the Disneyland Resort expire and may not be used after October 3, 2015. Valid military identification will be required for purchase and use.
- No more than six (6) Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased and (if applicable) activated by any Eligible Service Member or spouse (regardless of the place of purchase and whether purchased by that person or that person’s spouse). In addition, one of the six (6) Tickets purchased must be used by the Eligible Service Member or his/her spouse.
- Each Disney Military Promotional Ticket must be used by the same person on any and all days.
*The number of rooms allocated for this offer is limited. Minimum length of stay requirements may apply. Valid Military ID will be required upon check-in, and military member (or spouse) must stay in the room. No group rates or other discounts apply. Advance reservations required. Additional per-adult charges apply at the Walt Disney World Resort if there are more than two adults per room. Other restrictions apply.