By now, I’m sure it’s no surprise to our Disney Parks Blog readers that I love treats – especially at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa. Not too long ago, we added a little more tropical magic to The Lava Shack in the Waikolohe Valley: the Pineapple Soft Serve! If you have been to the Disneyland Resort or Walt Disney World Resort, you have probably tasted this popular frozen treat. And at Aulani, it’s self-serve. Enjoy the video below as I try my hand at “swirling” up some pineapple perfection.
posted on September 30th, 2015 by Tyler Slater, Public Relations Manager, Disney Destinations
posted on September 30th, 2015 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort
Earlier this month, we hosted Marguerita Fa-Kaji from Berkley, Calif. – the first recipient of one of the 1-carat white diamonds being awarded during the Disneyland Diamond Days sweepstakes! As part of her prize package, Marguerita and her family also had the opportunity to stay a night in the Disneyland Dream Suite.
During their stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite, Marguerita and her family enjoyed a VIP tour of Disneyland park and a special, surprise visit from Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, who presented them with an exclusive Disneyland Diamond Days display box to showcase Marguerita’s 1-carat white Disney Diamond – engraved with a “Hidden Mickey” – and personalized certificate artwork created by Disney Artist Stacia Martin.
After settling into the Disneyland Dream Suite, the family enjoyed dinner while watching “Fantasmic!” from their private balcony. Then, around 12:30 a.m., the family embarked on an after-hours tour of Disneyland park, seeing what it looks like after our guests have gone home for the day. The next morning, they had breakfast at Plaza Inn, as part of their prize package, before departing.
“Such a haven in the heart of the park,” the family wrote in the Disneyland Dream Suite Guest Book. “You have given us an experience of a lifetime.”
For details, Official Rules and to learn more about Disneyland Diamond Days, visit Disneyland.com/DiamondDays.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S., D.C., Mexico and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are age of majority as of date of entry. Sweepstakes ends 6:59 AM PT on 2/5/16. Weekly drawing starts Friday at 7:00AM PT and ends at 6:59 AM PT the following Friday. Each eligible weekly entry automatically entered into final drawing but not into any daily drawings. Limit one (1) entry per person per day, regardless of method of entry. Disney Memories, 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521, U.S.A.
posted on September 29th, 2015 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer
It’s countdown to turkey time, and the Disneyland Resort chefs are planning some extra-special dining for Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, Nov. 26. Here’s where you’ll find the big bird in the theme parks and hotels. For reservations, visit Disneyland.com/dine or call 714-781-DINE.
The biggest celebration is from noon-5 p.m. at the Disneyland Hotel ballroom, where the annual fall harvest includes Thanksgiving favorites such as carved roasted breast of turkey and prime rib, served with homemade stuffing, sweet potato soufflé, fresh cranberry-orange relish and smashed potatoes and gravy. You’ll also find salads, artisan cheeses, smoked salmon and cured meats, poached shrimp and king crab legs. Desserts include pumpkin and pecan pies, tarts, cookies, chocolate mousse and a chocolate fountain. Fall harvest buffet is $76.99; also a special buffet just for ages 3 to 9, $27.99.
Here’s your guide to Thanksgiving Day dining throughout the Disneyland Resort:
- Carnation Café: Slow-roasted turkey with turkey-bourbon gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, apple-cranberry stuffing, cranberry-orange relish, veggies and a dinner roll.
- Plaza Inn: Slow-roasted turkey with traditional turkey gravy and sage dressing, mashed potatoes, veggies and a dinner roll.
- River Belle Terrace “Fantasmic!” Dinner: Slow-roasted turkey breast with stuffing, roasted garlic-thyme mashed potatoes, home-style gravy, veggies, cornbread and cranberry relish.
- French Market Restaurant: Slow-roasted turkey breast with andouille sausage stuffing, Market potatoes, home-style gravy, veggies, artisan bread and cranberry relish. Also pumpkin pie.
- Blue Bayou Restaurant: Slow-roasted turkey roulade with focaccia stuffing, roasted garlic, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, Cognac turkey gravy and cranberry relish.
- Harbour Galley: Turkey tortilla soup simmered with roasted corn and black beans.
- Café Orleans: Slow-roasted turkey breast with cornbread and giblet stuffing, red skin mashed potatoes, veggies, home-style gravy and cranberry relish.
- Mortimer’s Market: Turkey-shaped sourdough bread.
- Carthay Circle Restaurant: Receive a voucher for “World of Color” preferred viewing with your choice of Carthay Circle Salad with heirloom apples, roasted walnuts, winter greens, bacon, dates and creamy citrus vinaigrette or Cinderella Pumpkin Broth with lemongrass-cilantro grilled chicken, caramelized onion and Tuscan kale. Entrée added: grilled Sierra free-range turkey with a Poblano chile and mushroom tamale, and creamed corn with turkey jus. Dessert, also a la carte, is crunchy butterscotch pie with cashews, holiday Chantilly and caramel.
- Wine Country Trattoria: Herb-roasted turkey breast with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, herb focaccia stuffing, seasonal vegetables and orange-cranberry sauce. Also pumpkin pie.
- Boudin Bread Cart at Pacific Wharf: Turkey-shaped sourdough bread
- Pacific Wharf Café: Turkey pot pie soup in a bread bowl; pumpkin spice bread pudding.
- Flo’s V8 Café: Rotisserie-roasted turkey breast with mashed potatoes, stuffing, veggies and 0range-cranberry sauce.
- Ariel’s Grotto: Slow-roasted turkey breast with turkey gravy, apple stuffing, orange-cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and veggies (includes voucher for “World of Color” preferred viewing).
- Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta: Pumpkin pie.
- Storytellers Café: Dinner buffet with salads and fresh fruit, roasted corn chowder, hand-carved turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce, hand-carved beef, pan-seared salmon, pork loin, candied yams, sourdough bread stuffing, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, green beans. Also holiday desserts include pumpkin and pecan pies, bread pudding with vanilla sauce, chocolate pate, dulce de leche pot de crème.
- Napa Rose: Chef Andrew Sutton’s Four-Course Wine Country Feast (wine flight also available); reservations and information, 714-300-7170.
- Steakhouse 55: Starter course – butternut squash soup with crispy shredded skirt steak and maple clabbered cream; Entrée – roasted turkey Wellington, brioche stuffing, cranberry, Swiss chard, wild mushroom gravy; Dessert – trio of sweet potato mousse parfait, pecan cake pop and pumpkin whoopie pie. Wine pairings available. Also available in the Steakhouse 55 Lounge.
- Goofy’s Kitchen: Turkey and herb stuffing will be added to the buffet brunch, along with turkey gravy, sweet potatoes and tortellini with pumpkin cream sauce.
- Disney’s PCH Grill: Dinner Buffet – Cold selections include salads, heirloom tomato-mozzarella topped with creamy pesto & aged balsamic reduction, roasted potato salad with creamy mustard dressing. Hot selections include fried chicken, roasted sustainable fish, sausage and herb stuffing, roasted garden vegetables, mini smashed potatoes with cheddar cheese, spice-rubbed pork shoulder. On the carving station, herb-marinated roast and oven-roasted turkey breast are served with beef au jus, creamy horseradish, cranberry relish and brown gravy. Traditional holiday desserts include pumpkin pie, chocolate pecan pie, apple pie, chestnut-apricot flight, vanilla caramel and cranberry jelly, molten chocolate hazelnut crumb cake.
Note: Disney characters will not be in attendance for Thanksgiving meals served at Storytellers Café and Disney’s PCH Grill.
posted on September 29th, 2015 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager
What makes this trio so sinister? Lady Tremaine’s jealousy and treatment of Cinderella after her father passes away. The stepsisters provide comic relief with their complete inability to get along – until they destroy Cinderella’s gown she worked so hard to ready for the ball. Luckily there’s a happy ending in store for our heroine, who rides off to the castle with Prince Charming in the end.
Thanks to photographer Mariah Wild for the images.
For more from the Villian’s Gallery series, visit the post below:
posted on September 28th, 2015 by Shannon Swanson, Public Relations Manager, Disneyland Resort
Building a house of cards can be tricky (and sticky), especially if your hands are made of gingerbread! To show you, we created this time-lapse video, taped inside Haunted Mansion Holiday in Disneyland park. Laying all of their cards on the table, bakers, decorators and gingerbread workers construct finishing touches on the nearly 10-foot replica of the Haunted Mansion exterior made out of gingerbread.
posted on September 28th, 2015 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer
Disneyland Resort is celebrating a big win at last night’s Golden Foodie Awards: Executive Chef of Disneyland Signature Restaurants Andrew Sutton won Chef of the Year!
The red carpet culinary awards show presented by the Orange County, California, Restaurant Association celebrates and honors chefs, bartenders and dishes in chef-driven and independent restaurants in Orange County.
Chef of the Year is one of three categories (out of 24) that are “Peer’s Choice”: Best New Restaurant, Chef of the Year and Pastry Chef of the Year.
“I am so honored to receive this award from my fellow culinarians,” said Sutton, “and give a big thank you to my supporting cast, and to Disney for their commitment to the highest culinary standards.”
Food Network personality Simon Majumdar hosted the event, and each winner was presented with the Golden Foodie Award statuette covered in 14-carat gold. For a list of all the winners, go to goldenfoodieawards.com.
posted on September 28th, 2015 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager
I love coffee, so you can imagine National Coffee Day, which is celebrated on September 29, is a festive day in the Miller house. Every morning, I brew a fresh pot of coffee which I enjoy all day at work. During the weekends, I sip delicious cups of hot, black coffee from one of my many coffee mugs. Since I know I’m not alone in my love of all things coffee, I thought today was a good day to give you a sneak preview of new mugs coming soon to Disney Parks.
The Disney character mugs in the first image are part of an upcoming Colorful Kitchen collection. While the home décor considers them soup mugs, I know some days require that much coffee.
Coming in October, we will release two mugs as part of Twenty-Eight & Main, the new men’s apparel and accessory collection. Stay tuned for a closer look at this collection with a video coming to the Disney Parks Blog.
Finally, these four mugs were inspired by the Mad Tea Party attraction in Fantasyland. The cups and saucers are attached, and they will be released at some point in 2016. Merchandiser Aaron Babcock told me they originally started with purple but decided to release all four colors after seeing the first samples. I think they are a perfect complement the other home goods resembling Disney Park icons such as the salt and pepper shaker trash cans.
I mentioned I brew coffee every day, so I’m excited to try the newest blend in the Disney Parks and Resorts Specialty Coffee Collection from Joffrey’s Coffee and Tea Company. The blend was inspired by Sanaa at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Master Roastmaster Chris deMezzo worked directly with Sanaa staff to create a blend that not only complemented the foods prepared at Sanaa, but enhanced the overall experience of dining. The end result was a medium roast with bright acidity, great aroma, with a dry winey after taste.
The Sanaa blend sounds exceptional, and I can’t wait to enjoy it in one of these new mugs during National Sanaa Bread Service Day (that is a holiday, correct?).
posted on September 28th, 2015 by Rachel Brent, Food & Beverage Marketing Communications Coordinator
Aloha, Tiki fans! Reservations are now open for the popular MahaloWeen taking place October 12 and 13, 2015, at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel. Trader Sam has reached into the spooky recesses of his treasure vault to create a fun and tasty event, steeped in the wild side of Polynesian legends. Tribal masks, tiki torches and legends of gods and demons are all part of this one-of-a-kind Halloween celebration, along with delicious appetizers and drinks.
Mahaloween attendees will receive:
- 2 drink tickets, good for either a signature Tiki drink (with or without alcohol), or a selection of beer and wine
- Commemorative Mahaloween Kukui nut lei
- Tiki print
- 1 special edition Tiki glass – available only to Mahaloween attendees – as well as the opportunity to purchase the standard Tiki glass
Special Tip: The artists who created the print and Tiki glass will be on hand to autograph their pieces during the event.
Cost to attend is $150.00 per person (tax and gratuity are included). Reservations can be made by visiting Disneyland.com.
posted on September 28th, 2015 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
UPDATE: This entry period has ended. Please keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog for future opportunities.
Today marks six years of storytelling for the Disney Park Blog. And each September 28, we pause from our busy publishing schedule to thank our readers and friends in a special way.
This year, we’re giving away a special Orange Bird MagicBand to celebrate our six-year anniversary.
You’ll have a chance to a MagicBand today if you’re one of the first 350 people to email us a “Happy Birthday Disney Parks Blog” greeting of no more than 50 characters in length (which could be a simple “Hi” or “Happy Birthday Disney Parks Blog” greeting) to WDW.Sweepstakes@Disney.com and include your full name and mailing address in the email. Once the potential winners are determined, we’ll send notifications via email. See the sweepstakes rules and eligibility requirements here.
Thank you again for all of the support and great comments this year and be sure to keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog as we continue to grow.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited by law. Sweepstakes starts 9/28/15 at 1:00pm ET and ends 9/28/15 at 4:01pm (or once we receive 350 entries into the Sweepstakes, whichever occurs first). Sweepstakes open only to persons who, upon entering, are not deemed minors in their jurisdiction of primary residence and are legal residents of, and physically located within, the 50 U.S. or D.C. Limit 1 entry per person/per email address. For complete details, including full eligibility requirements, odds of winning and limitations, see Official Rules.
posted on September 27th, 2015 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks
This week, we shared the exciting update that beginning November 16, 2015, Disneyland park guests will have the chance to jump to lightspeed with the all-new Star Wars experience – Season of the Force.
When Season of the Force begins at Disneyland park, it’ll feature opportunities to meet some of your favorite Star Wars characters, experience an exciting twist on a favorite attraction and more. To learn more details about Season of the Force experiences coming to Disneyland park, visit Erin’s original story.
We’ll have dates to share soon for Season of the Force at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.
Disney Parks is also preparing to take guests to a galaxy far, far away with new Star Wars-themed lands. With groundbreaking scheduled to take place in 2016 for our largest single-land expansions ever, building the new 14-acre lands will be major projects at both Disneyland park in Southern California and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida. You can also check Erin’s story for information about the new land in Disneyland.
Here are some of the other stories we worked on this week.
Disney Parks Bento Box Magic: Goofy – Watch as Disney fan and blog reader Mike Kravanis creates a special Bento Box of a live model, Goofy!
New Backstage ‘Flavor Lab’ Opens in October at Walt Disney World Resort – Ever wonder how a new dish makes it on the menu at Be Our Guest Restaurant? Or how a cocktail comes to life? A new, behind-the-scenes “Flavor Lab” brings the Walt Disney World Resort chefs, front-of-house managers, sommeliers, mixologists and more together in a state-of-the-art research and development facility.
Disneyland Resort Event Snapshot – October 2015 – It’s going to be October! Where has the time gone? If you are looking to add a bit of Fall fun to your calendar, here’s a look at some of the Disney Theme Park Merchandise events taking place this coming month at the Disneyland Resort!
Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration Continues Through September 5, 2016 – Continue the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration with this special video, 60 seconds of happiness at Disneyland Resort.
Holidays at the Disneyland Resort Shows and Attractions Join ‘Paint the Night’ Parade, ‘Disneyland Forever’ Fireworks and More – Holidays at the Disneyland Resort begins November 13. Get all the details on what is sure to be another dazzling holiday season!
Literacy Project Foundation Surprised with $60,000 in Next Chapter of Disneyland Resort Million Dollar Dazzle – The Literacy Project Foundation is the latest recipient of a $60,000 Million Dollar Dazzle gift from the Disneyland Resort.