Today we’re celebrating the anniversary of one of my favorite attractions – Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith. The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
In case you haven’t experienced it yet, the attraction lets you tour G-Force Records, the music studio where Aerosmith is holding a recording session. When the band heads out to a show, they invite you to travel to the show in a super-stretch limo that speeds from 0-57 mph in just 2.8 seconds. Better yet – each limo is equipped with an audio system consisting of 125 speakers, 24 sub-woofers and more than 32k watts of audio amplifier output power and each car broadcasts different Aerosmith songs.
In honor of today’s anniversary, here are 15 fun facts about the attraction:
- The attraction’s grand opening on July 29, 1999 featured a dedication ceremony with Aerosmith.
- The giant electric guitar that serves as the attraction’s icon measures 40 feet tall.
- There are more than 900 speakers throughout the attraction.
- The attraction’s track measures 3,403 feet.
- Elements of the attraction were manufactured as far away as Netherlands and Germany.
- Aerosmith band members Steven Tyler and Joe Perry took part in re-recordings for the attraction. The entire band appears in the attraction’s preshow film.
- The band’s manager who appears in the preshow was played by actress Illeana Douglas.
- The DJ who is “broadcasting live” from the Aerosmith concert is classic rock DJ Uncle Joe Benson.
- The look of the super-stretch limo was influenced by the 1962-era Cadillac.
- Each super-stretch limo can fit 24 passengers.
- Each guest is surrounded by five speakers – four around the head and one subwoofer under the seat.
- Each vehicle features a different Aerosmith song or medley. Tracks are: “Nine Lives”; “Sweet Emotion”; a “Back in the Saddle”/”Dude Looks Like a Lady” medley; a “Love in an Elevator”/”Walk This Way” medley; and a “Young Lust”/”F.I.N.E.”/”Love in an Elevator” medley.
- Guests experience a g-force between 4-5 entering the first inversion on the track.
- The attraction was the first coaster at Walt Disney World Resort to feature multiple inversions.
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster opened at Walt Disney Studios Park (Paris) in 2002. There, it’s called “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith.”
Which is your favorite song to take a ride to? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.
I’ve enjoyed hearing from guests who are just as excited as me for the new Haunted Mansion products coming this fall to Disney Parks. As it turns out, Madame Leota and the 999 happy haunts from the Haunted Mansion attraction have also received your sympathetic vibrations. This fall, they are gathering to open a new merchandise destination in Liberty Square at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida.
The new merchandise shop will be located in the current Yankee Trader shop, which will have its last day of operation on July 27, 2014. Inspired by Madame Leota, the new location will carry select items from the upcoming Haunted Mansion Authentic program including apparel, home goods, souvenirs, and more.
Final arrangements are still being made, so I invite you to keep watching the Disney Parks Blog in the coming months. I can’t wait to share additional details about this new destination for all things Haunted Mansion.
For more on merchandise inspired by the Haunted Mansion at Disney Parks, visit the links below:
Ever wanted to “mush” your way through the snow-covered Wyoming wilderness or witness the erupting geysers at Yellowstone National Park? This summer heat might have you thinking of escaping to a “winter wonderland,” and with Adventures by Disney you can experience your own snow-filled family adventure to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone National Park during the winter holiday season.
Take your family on this five-day, four-night journey through the natural beauty of the Wyoming landscape where you’ll enjoy an evening sleigh ride, dine inside a cozy tepee and watch the sunset over the Teton Mountains. View the wonders of the famed geyser Old Faithful and enjoy a night full of s’mores and storytelling!
Spend a morning learning the art of “mushing” as you guide a team of sled dogs through the powdery terrain. Afterward, relax in the rejuvenating natural granite hot springs. And throughout your vacation, be on the lookout for some local residents that roam the area like bison, elks, bald eagles, coyotes, and even moose!
With your Winter in Wyoming adventure, your two Adventure Guides will take care of all the planning, ensuring that you and your family make memories that will last a lifetime.
To learn more about this incredible tour of Wyoming, visit AdventuresByDisney.com/WinterWyoming.
The struggle between the folks of Frontierland and Rainbow Ridge has been unfolding in “Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!” for a few weeks now in Disneyland park, so my fellow Disney Parks Blog author, Tyler Slater, and I recently headed out to join the story ourselves. As Eagle Eye Erin, I was drawn toward the exciting people of Rainbow Ridge, but my more kind-hearted counterpart, Two Bit Tyler, joined the side of Frontierland.
Wondering what merchandise events are headed your way this August at Walt Disney World Resort? Take a look!
This photo of Swan Boats was snapped at Magic Kingdom Park in the 1970s. Sure looks like this swan is admiring Cinderella Castle.
This week, we shared more information on what to expect at next month’s “Villains Unleashed” at Disney’s Hollywood Studios – a night when a record number of Disney villains will run wild at the park.
This week, one of my favorite photos we shared on the Disney Parks Blog was this shot of Maleficent, who is planned to appear at this year’s Villains Unleashed at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Be sure to check out Shawn Slater’s original post for details on the fiendish fun!
Great news, Dole Whip fans! I am very pleased to announce that the iconic Disney Parks treat is now available at the Lava Shack at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa!
I know the excitement is building as fellow Disney Parks Blog author Steven Miller continues to share the latest news on Haunted Mansion merchandise materializing in Disney Parks. I can hardly believe that in just a few short weeks, we will be celebrating the 45th anniversary of the Haunted Mansion attraction, one of the crown jewels of Disneyland park. There is so much history behind the attraction itself, its famous and infamous residents, and the storytellers and artists that brought it to life.