The Disneyland Half Marathon is celebrating its fifth anniversary on Sunday with a record field of more than 14,000 registered participants. The fifth annual Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend, held September 3-5, also includes Kids’ Races and the Disneyland Fabulous 5K, which has 5,000 registered athletes. This is the biggest Disneyland Half Marathon to date, and includes runners from 16 countries and all 50 U.S. states.
To commemorate the fifth anniversary, athletes who complete the half marathon will receive a special-edition finisher medal featuring Sleeping Beauty Castle circled by the number “5” and running Mickey Mouse.
Nearly 570 “Legacy Runners” – those who have competed in the race all five years – will also receive special recognition throughout the race weekend. Nearly 2,350 runners are going for the Coast to Coast medal, which requires a runner to complete one of three qualifying races at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Half Marathon in the same year.
Throughout the race, runners will pass Disneyland icons such as Sleeping Beauty Castle and the Matterhorn, Anaheim landmarks such as the Anaheim Convention Center and Honda Center, and they will see themselves on the jumbo screen running on the field inside Angel Stadium of Anaheim, before finally crossing the finish line next to the Disneyland Hotel.
If you missed your chance to participate in the races this year, you can register for next year’s Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend on Sept. 2-4, 2011, beginning Jan. 3, 2011.
If you’d like to watch the race, you can view the runners from several locations, including the following:
- The Start – Disneyland Drive to Katella Avenue 6:00 a.m. to 6:40 a.m. (Accessible only by foot)
- The Esplanade between Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park 6:12 a.m. to 7:02 a.m. (Accessible only by foot)
- Disneyland Drive to Ball Road 6:20 a.m. to 7:26 a.m. (Accessible only by foot)
- Angel Stadium 6:45 a.m. to 9:20 a.m. (Accessible via Orangewood Ave. entrance)
- Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and ESPN Zone 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Spectators who purchased a ChEAR Zone package will have reserved seating in the Finish Line area.
You can also see a detailed map of the course that helps illustrate where these viewing areas are in the race here.
The Disneyland Health and Fitness Expo is also open to the general public on September 3 from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., and September 4 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. This event, located in the Disneyland Hotel Exhibit Hall, features the opportunity to experience the latest in running and fitness equipment as well as the opportunity to get running tips during the speaker series.
Good luck to all athletes participating in the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend!