Think you don’t like Brussels sprouts? Chef Dee Foundoukis from Kouzzina by Cat Cora might just change your mind – her version creates crisp little leaves with a buttery sauce and a splash of bracing balsamic vinegar. Add salty Kasseri cheese for extra wow.
Take a look at this quick cooking demo we shot at one of the beautiful new homes at Golden Oak at Walt Disney World Resort, with custom, whole-ownership homes priced from $1.5 million. Discover the “magical oasis of fine living and memory making” by visiting www.DisneyGoldenOak.com.
Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup capers, drained, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons shredded Kasseri cheese*, for garnish
- Cut tough stem ends from Brussels sprouts and peel off bruised outer leaves. Cut sprouts in half.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water and line a large bowl with paper towels.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Add Brussels sprouts and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until bright green and just crisp-tender.
- Remove sprouts with a slotted spoon and transfer to ice water; drain and transfer to paper-towel-lined bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add Brussels sprouts, cut-side down, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until light brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add butter and cook until butter browns and develops a nutty aroma. Sprouts will begin to caramelize and turn golden brown.
- Add balsamic vinegar, then lower heat to slightly reduce.
- Garnish with capers and shredded Kasseri cheese. Serve hot.
*Kasseri cheese is a Greek sheep’s-milk cheese that is semi hard and slightly tangy. It can be found in specialty markets. Provolone may be substituted.
Find more recipes from Walt Disney World Resort in the posts below: