Everyone is excited about the fantastical décor at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort at Walt Disney World Resort. We’re just as psyched about the equally creative quick-service eats in the new Landscape of Flavors food court.
With tandoor ovens and a three-foot-wide Mongolian grill for onstage cooking, this is the new generation of fast food. You can pick and choose from the soup, salad, and sandwich shop; the world flavors shop; the pizza shop; the burger shop; and the market with smoothies, coffees, gelato and other goodies.
And while we love the pastrami cheeseburger in the burger shop, we found this inspired version of a veggie burger to be a tasty alternative, made with white beans and topped with kicky pepper jack cheese and a crispy slice of fried green tomato on a brioche bun. It takes a little time to make this at home, but it’s worth the effort!
Vegetable Burger with Fried Green Tomatoes and Creole Remoulade
2 cups dried navy beans (4 cups cooked)
1/4 cup soybeans
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 cup finely diced white onion
1/4 cup frozen corn
1 1/4 cups shredded potatoes
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
2 egg whites
3/4 cup canola oil, divided
Cornstarch, for dusting
Fried Green Tomatoes
1 large green tomato
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup canola oil, divided, for frying tomatoes
Coarse salt, to taste
Creole Remoulade Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 small red onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon favorite Cajun spice
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 small lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped chives
8 brioche rolls
8 slices pepper jack cheese
For vegetable burgers:
- Cover navy beans with water in a pot and soak overnight. Drain and wash beans; cover with water and cook until tender.
- Place soybeans and carrots in a heat-proof container; pour boiling water over vegetables and steep for 2 minutes. Drain, cool, and set aside.
- Place cooked navy beans in food processor, reserving 1 1/4 cup. Puree until smooth. Add cornmeal and pulse until well mixed. Remove from food processor and place in a large bowl.
- Add onion, corn, potatoes, parsley, soybeans, carrots, salt, pepper, and Sriracha, mixing well.
- Fold in reserved navy beans and egg whites.
- Divide evenly into 8 patties.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Lightly dust patties with cornstarch and fry in batches until golden, about 5 minutes per side, adding more oil as needed. Lightly flatten patties with spatula when turning. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
For fried green tomatoes:
- Slice tomato into 8 slices, about 1/4-inch thick. Place in a glass baking dish and cover with yogurt. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Combine pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cornmeal in a small bowl, mixing well.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Remove tomatoes from yogurt and dredge in cornmeal. Fry in batches in hot oil until golden brown, adding oil as needed. Drain on paper towels, season with salt, and keep warm.
For Creole Remoulade sauce:
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Refrigerate in airtight container.
Stack burger, slice of pepper jack cheese, slice of fried green tomato, and 2 tablespoons remoulade on a toasted brioche roll. Serve hot.
Yum! Check out these posts for more recipes from around Disney Parks: