A year ago today, we welcomed our newest elephant calf Jabali to the Disney’s Animal Kingdom family. Jabali has been out on the park’s African savanna since he was only two weeks old. Since that time, guests have enjoyed seeing him and the rest of the elephant herd when they ride the Kilimanjaro Safaris or experience the Wild Africa Trek.
Jabali, who weighed 311 pounds at birth, now weighs 1,090 pounds but even at that weight he looks small when in the midst of the adult elephants and older youngsters in the herd. Our elephant team reports that Jabali spends a good bit of his time with two-year-old elephant calf Luna and the other young elephants in the herd. They said he’ll often be found playing in the mud wallow on the savanna, and even venturing into the ponds with the other elephants.
Jabali is the sixth elephant born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Others include:
- Tufani, a male, born in 2003;
- Kianga, a female, born in 2004;
- Nadirah a female, born in 2005;
- Tsavo, a male, born in 2008;
- Luna, a female, born 2010.
All six remain at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Read more stories on baby Jabali on the Disney Parks Blog in the posts below:
- Baby Elephant Receives Warm Welcome at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Baby Elephant Named “Jabali”– “Strong as a Rock” in Swahili
- Wildlife Wednesdays: Baby Elephant Joins Herd on Savanna at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Wildlife Wednesdays: Baby Elephants Jabali and Luna Are Becoming the Best of Friends at
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Wildlife Wednesdays: Baby Elephant Jabali is Growing and Thriving at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
I visited last September and I remember seeing the TINIEST little elephant running alongside it’s mother during the Kilomangaro Safari. I’m so excited to know his name now…Happy birthday Jabali! 😀
Awww! The baby elephants at Animal Kingdom are so cute. They’re always a highlight of Kilomangaro Safaris! On our last trip, we spotted several ‘generations’ of baby elephants. It was so touching to see them playing with each other!
Happy birthday Jabali!
AWE!!!! Super cute !! Cannot wait to see him !!! Thanks for sharing the exciting new arrival!
Thanks for posting the names and dates for the other elephants. I have a picture from September 2004 of 2 full grown elephants with a tiny one standing between them, I always wondered how I could find out that elephant’s name. I was also curious to know if he or she is still there. I’d love to get a picture now, full grown.
I either have a pic of Tufani or Kianga.