This time of year, the Disney Villains seem to be in the spotlight more than ever. Even at Disney Parks, where we like to keep things happy and light, the occasional baddie pops in to stir things up. Here are some of my favorite Disney Villains you can see around the Walt Disney World Resort this fall:
- Headless Horseman – Nothing says Halloween quite like “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” and no villain is more ominous than the Headless Horseman, who makes special appearances during Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park. He gives me chills every time I see him galloping down the street with his glowing jack-o-lantern.
- Maleficent – During Fantasmic! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Mickey’s dream turns into a bit of a nightmare when the Disney Villains take over, and none is more foreboding than Maleficent from “Sleeping Beauty.” When she transforms herself into a dragon and sets the river on fire, it’s one of the most awesome moments in the entire nighttime spectacular.
- Captain Hook – Hook is as suave and sophisticated as he is scheming and maniacal. He’s one of many things which have always made “Peter Pan” my favorite Disney animated film. The Captain is especially delightful during his appearance in Dream-Along with Mickey at Magic Kingdom Park, as he and Mr. Smee face off against their old nemesis.
- Ursula – Before New Fantasyland, we’ve been able to go “Under the Sea” with Voyage of the Little Mermaid at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where Ursula has loomed large for the past two decades. As she floats out from the shadows, the sea witch captures the attention of Ariel – and us – with her wriggling tentacles and glowing eyes.
- Jafar – The Sultan’s evil vizier from “Aladdin” slinks down the street during the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade at Magic Kingdom Park. Luckily, the Genie is always close by, ensuring Jafar doesn’t get out of line.
- The Queen – In Fantasmic!, the wicked Queen has more to be jealous of than just Snow White. Belle and Ariel also inhabit Mickey’s imagination, and she’s not having it! The Queen casts a magic spell in the black of night, calling forth the forces of evil from her Magic Mirror and transforming herself into the Hag in the process.
- Governor Ratcliffe – Another infamous scoundrel appearing during Fantasmic! is the self-serving Governor Ratcliffe from “Pocahontas,” interested in little more than forcing others to dig, dig, dig for his own gold and glory.
- Lady Tremaine – Cinderella’s stepmother may not be as flamboyant as Ursula or Captain Hook, but she’s just as evil. Lady Tremaine’s piercing stare in the shadow of Cinderella Castle is tempered only by the ridiculous antics of her two awkward daughters, Anastasia and Drizella.
- Lotso – Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear ruled Sunnyside Daycare with an iron fist in “Toy Story 3.” Luckily, he seems to be “reformed” after spending time at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where you can catch him in the Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun! Parade.
- Gaston – This man among men may not seem to be a traditional villain, but he is definitely the antagonist in the “tale as old as time.” Gaston takes part in Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and beginning this fall, you’ll actually have a chance to meet him when he begins making regular appearances outside Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland.
Peter Pan is my favorite movie too! 🙂 That’s why Captain Hook is my favorite villain. I always try to meet him in the parks… it’s always fun to call him a codfish! LOL!
This list sounds like a list of the Overtakers! They’re the Disney villains in Ridley Pearson’s “Kingdom Keepers” series, which take place in the Disney parks.
I love the Kingdom Keepers books, too! I’m so excited that my boys are learning to read now. I can’t wait to share books like those with them!