Ah, such a decadent way to start the day – classic eggs Benedict, really just a stack of crisp English muffin, grilled Canadian bacon and a perfectly poached egg until you top it with a velvety, rich hollandaise sauce.
And he also shares his recipe below for this dish that also make a delicious “brinner” – breakfast for dinner.
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 large egg yolks
Dash Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon water
8 slices Canadian bacon
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
8 large eggs
4 English muffins
1 teaspoon chives
For hollandaise sauce:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan on low heat. When butter has melted completely, tilt the pan and skim off the foamy liquid that rises to the surface to clarify the butter. Will need 1/2 cup for recipe. Set aside and keep warm.
- Fill 2-quart saucepan with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low to maintain a simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and water in medium mixing bowl for approximately 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture lightens in color.
- Place mixing bowl over simmering water and whisk to cook the egg mixture. Move bowl on and off the heat to avoid scrambling eggs—approximately 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off, for 3 to 5 minutes or until egg mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove bowl from heat and gradually whisk in small amounts of the warm clarified butter, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding more butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
For eggs Benedict:
- Cook Canadian bacon in large skillet over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides. Set aside and keep warm.
- Fill 2-quart saucepan half full with water. Add vinegar and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Crack the eggs into the water and cook 2 to 3 minutes until set and egg whites are opaque. Lift eggs out with a slotted spoon to drain. Set aside and keep warm.
- Halve and toast English muffins. Place two halves on each plate. Top with 1 slice of Canadian bacon and 1 poached egg.
- Spoon warm Hollandaise sauce over eggs. Garnish with chives.