As the famous Walt Disney quote says, “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse.” – and today we’re celebrating that Mouse on the Disney Parks Blog.
Mickey Mouse made his official film debut on November 18, 1928, in the film “Steamboat Willie,” and has since become a famous face at Disney Parks around the world.
In honor of today’s milestone, here are 15 fun facts about Mickey Mouse you may not know:
- Walt Disney wrote the first script for “Plane Crazy,” the first short created to star Mickey Mouse, while traveling on a train from Chicago to Los Angeles.
- Walt initially named Mickey Mouse “Mortimer,” until Walt’s wife, Lily, suggested “Mickey” was a better choice.
- Disney Legend Ub Iwerks was the sole animator for Mickey Mouse in “Plane Crazy,” and produced an estimated 700 drawings per day for the film, some during the day (as a part of a secret project for Walt) and others after hours in Walt’s garage.
- The short film “Steamboat Willie” was the first short starring Mickey Mouse released, but was actually the third created. The first two, “Plane Crazy” and “The Gallopin’ Gaucho,” initially failed to find distributors, but were picked up and released later.
- When penning Mickey’s movements, early animators drew inspiration from popular comedic film stars of the day – like Charlie Chaplin.
- The first Mickey Mouse Club was formed by theater owner Harry Woodin in Ocean Park, California. On his own accord, Woodin devoted Saturday afternoons in his theater to showing only Mickey Mouse shorts and led children in a Mickey Mouse pledge. Walt later partnered with Woodin and spread the idea of Mickey Mouse Clubs to movie theaters across the nation.
- The first Mickey short in which Mickey spoke was “The Karnival Kid,” the ninth Mickey short, which was released in July 1929. His first words: “Hot dog!”
- Walt Disney wasn’t satisfied with the first few actors chosen to provide a voice for Mickey Mouse, so he did it, and continued to do so through about 1947.
- A Mickey Mouse comic strip, penned by Ub Iwerks, launched in January 1930, and at its height was printed in 40 newspapers in 22 countries.
- The first piece of Mickey Mouse merchandise was a tablet of paper that featured the mouse, designed for children. The first Mickey Mouse doll was designed in 1930.
- Mickey Mouse made his debut appearance in the “Macy’s Santa Claus Parade” (now “Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade”) in 1934. Measuring 40-feet-tall, the balloon was handpainted and guided by men and women dressed in Mickey/Minnie Mouse costumes.
- When Walt was contemplating a name for his first theme park (Disneyland park), he once considered calling it “Mickey Mouse Village.”
- Mickey Mouse was the first animated character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which was given on his birthday (November 18) in 1978.
- Mickey Mouse has been a prominent feature at Disney Parks since Disneyland park opened its doors in 1955, with guests interacting with him in character meet and greets, viewing him in parades or snapping up Mickey Mouse merchandise.
- The Partners Statue, a sculpture of Walt and Mickey holding hands, debuted at Disneyland park on Mickey’s birthday in 1993. A second Partners Statue debuted at Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort in 1995.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mickey!!! It’s a privilege to celebrate with you:) Thanks for all the great family memories!!!
Happy Birthday Mickey!!!
Are there any official books about Mickey, like a “biography?” I’ve seen the “Book of Mouse” on Amazon, but that’s not it.
Just about any book on Walt Disney has a ton of info on Mickey Mouse in it – the two are so closely tied together. 🙂
Happy Birthday Mickey!! You are the best Pal anyone could have, I hope you have an awesome day and it is great to see you continuing to create magical memories for families, it has been a great 86years!
Happy 86th Birthday to both Mickey & Minnie! I sure hope I look as good as them when I’m 86.
Happy Birthday Mickey. And I just love the statue of Walt and Mickey. I make sure I go and see it every time I go to Walt Disney World..
Happy Birthday Mickey Mouse! I discovered that he shares the same birthday as my mother, what a great surprise! Have a magical day everyone!
Happy 86th Birthday, Mickey!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKEY! HAVE A MAGICAL, FANTASTICAL DAY! Thanks for the memories
To my best pal,Mickey,hope you have a wonderous birthday,may God shower his richest blessings on you.Thank you for all the magical memories you have created,the world would be dull without you.Lots of love,hugs and kisses, Subhadra,Selvan,Suloch …. South Africa … Hope to visit again soon