‘Tis the season for parties and sharing indulgent bites, from savory to sweet. This is one of our favorites from The Hollywood Brown Derby Restaurant at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where Pastry Chef Andreas Born works his magic with chocolate, toffee and bananas – a trifecta of deliciousness.
The Hollywood Brown Derby is tops for dining at the theme park, with an all-day menu featuring original creations such as blue lump crab springs rolls, Scotch maple-glazed Loch Duart Salmon and pan-seared, coriander-crusted black grouper. But you can also get a simple grilled burger (it just happens to be Wagyu beef and topped with a fried egg) and the ever-classic Cobb Salad, made from the same recipe as the original in Hollywood, California.
Watch Chef Andreas create this beautiful and tasty sweet finish – he tops with fancy bites, but you can rest assured it’s just as delicious without. It take a little time to make the mousse, but the result is worth it.
For reservations at The Hollywood Brown Derby Restaurant, call 407-WDW-DINE or visit disneyworld.com.
Banana Toffee Mousse on Cocoa Crunch
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 medium bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 12 tablespoons crushed chocolate cookies
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered toffee pieces
- Place white chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl set over a small saucepan of simmering water, making sure bottom of bowl does not touch water. Melt chocolate, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in double boiler over simmering water; whisk for 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle gelatin over hot water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. Microwave 10 seconds, stirring gelatin until melted. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in gelatin mixture, then mashed bananas. Fold in melted white chocolate.
- Whip heavy cream to soft peaks in a separate large bowl. Gently fold whipped cream into banana mixture to create mousse. Divide mixture in half.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon chocolate cookie crumbs in the bottom of 12 1/2-cup ramekins. Evenly top each with half of mousse. Add thin layer of toffee pieces. Repeat process with remaining mousse.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
love this dessert at DHS and will be trying it out this weekend.