We’re counting down the days until the December 18 opening of Trattoria al Forno at Disney’s BoardWalk at Walt Disney World Resort, where the chefs are busy in the kitchen creating delectable Italian dishes like this classic tiramisù with the familiar flavor of coffee and rich mascarpone cream.
It’s just one of the memorable desserts in the line-up. Go for simple gelato, or the hot bomboloni (donut) with dark chocolate and vanilla gelato. A clever spin on cannoli uses pizzelle cookies filled with chocolate and pistachio cream. For old-fashioned goodness, try the hazelnut-chocolate cake with oranges and whipped cream. And, yes, there’s a no-sugar-added, gluten-free sweet ending: lemon panna cotta with almond crunch and berries (one of our favorites).
Tiramisù may look complicated, but it’s relatively easy to create a dessert that will make you look like a pro.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) containers mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups espresso or strong coffee, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup amaretto, divided
- 20 to 25 packaged ladyfingers
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at medium-high speed 2 to 3 minutes until light yellow; add mascarpone, 1 tablespoon espresso, and 2 tablespoons amaretto, whisking until very smooth.
- Combine egg whites and 1/2 cup sugar in a separate large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into mascarpone mixture.
- Combine remaining espresso, amaretto, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Quickly dip each ladyfinger into espresso mixture and create a single layer along the bottom of a 13×9-inch dish.
- Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then create a second layer of soaked ladyfingers. Top with remaining mascarpone mixture. Dust liberally with cocoa powder.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least for 3 hours and up to 8 hours before serving.