What kid doesn’t love chicken nuggets? And what parent wouldn’t love for them to be healthier too? In celebration of Healthy Kids’ Day on April 17, we’re sharing the recipe for Grandpa’s Crispy Baked Chicken from 50’s Prime Time Café at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where everything on the menu is inspired by old-fashioned home cooking.
The chicken is one of four kids’ meals that get the “Mickey Check” – a tool that makes it easier to identify nutritious choices, found on select kids’ meals and fruit carts throughout Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts. To receive the Mickey Check, foods must meet The Walt Disney Company Nutritional Guidelines developed by health experts and align to federal dietary guideline recommendations.
So while the kids are having fun at 50’s Prime Time (watching TV and being playfully scolded by the waitresses), they are enjoying good-for-you tastes like grilled salmon, turkey meatloaf, meatless meatballs over multigrain spaghetti and this healthful version of chicken nuggets that is served with mashed potatoes, carrots and fruit salad.
Grandpa’s Crispy Baked Chicken
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- 2 cups panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- Mix oil and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken tenderloins, cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Press panko gently against each chicken strip until evenly coated. Lay coated chicken strips on a rack on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn and bake 5 additional minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked and crisp.