I have been in love with the Local-style Acai Bowl at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, since my first visit to O’ahu. This healthy and delicious smoothie-like parfait features fresh Hawaiian fruit, organic granola, local honey and other garnishings! To say I crave one here on the mainland every morning would certainly be an understatement. Today, the “Tastes of Aulani” series continues with Chef Kevin preparing my favorite menu item at ‘AMA’AMA – Contemporary Island Cooking. Enjoy the video below and then start your day off with an acai bowl using the recipe below!
Local-style Acai Bowl
- 3/4 cup acai purée
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 bananas, divided
- 1/4 cup local honey, more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup organic granola
- 12 slices starfruit
- 1/2 cup poha berries
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Blend purée, strawberries, blueberries, 1 banana, and honey in a blender on high speed. Pour into 4 small serving bowls.
- Top each with even amounts of granola, starfuit, poha berries, strawberries, and banana. Drizzle to taste with honey and garnish with mint.
Chef’s note: Acai is a reddish, purple berry that comes from the acai palm tree which is native to Central and South America. High in antioxidants, the flavor is described as a cross between a rich blackberry or raspberry and a piece of dark chocolate. The sweet-tart poha berry is a relative of the tomatillo that looks like a cherry but tastes more like a tart tomato. Acai purée can be found in the freezer section of local health food stores.