In case you haven’t heard, October 28 is National Chocolate Day, so there’s every excuse to indulge. We have plenty of favorites, but we’re going with the Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Ganache served at the Ireland Marketplace at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival – where you can still enjoy this sweet ending through November 15 when the 2015 festival closes.
If you can’t make it to the festival, here’s the recipe. The rich cake with a gooey warm center debuted at the festival in 2005 with an Irish Whiskey Sauce, but the sauce has changed over the years, including this version with Kerrygold Irish Cream.
Be careful not to overbake so that the center remains molten. With a scoop of good vanilla ice cream, it’s worth every calorie.
Warm Chocolate Pudding with Kerrygold® Irish Cream Liqueur Custard
Epcot® International Food and Wine Festival
Kerrygold® Custard Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold® Irish cream liqueur
Warm Chocolate Pudding
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
For Kerrygold® custard sauce:
- Whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch, and half of the sugar in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the milk and the remaining sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour the hot milk and sugar into the egg yolks, whisking the egg yolks constantly to temper.
- Pour back into saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes, until custard thickens.
- Once thickened, pour custard into a medium bowl set in an ice bath.
- Whisk in Irish cream liqueur and cool while warm chocolate pudding is baking.
For warm chocolate pudding:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter the bottom and sides of 6 (6 ounce) ramekins. Lightly dust with sugar, shaking out any extra sugar.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or heat proof bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and whole eggs together in a large bowl. Add sugar and whisk for 2 minutes, until sugar is fully incorporated.
- Fold in melted chocolate.
- Fold in sifted flour, mixing until smooth.
- Evenly divide among prepared ramekins.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake 23-25 minutes, until the sides of the cake are set and the middle is still soft. Do not overbake.
- Cut around the sides of the cake with a knife to loosen from the ramekins. Invert onto a plate.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of custard sauce on top of warm pudding before serving.