It’s been another unforgettable year at Disney Parks, and our Creative Entertainment team has had a blast producing amazing new entertainment experiences for you to enjoy. In fact, the team has been so busy, this year’s Top 5 had to be expanded to a Top 10!
- Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration – Celebrating the 60th anniversary of the original Disneyland park was far and away the biggest event of the year, bringing with it the debut of three new nighttime spectaculars: “Disneyland Forever” fireworks, “World of Color – Celebrate!” and the award-winning “Paint the Night” parade.
- “Tangled: The Musical” – This terrific stage adaptation of the tale of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, a Disney Cruise Line exclusive complete with three new songs from Composer Alan Menken, premiered on the Disney Magic in November.
- “Inside Out” – Riley’s Emotions from the Disney•Pixar hit “Inside Out” made their Disney Parks debut last summer at Disney California Adventure park, arriving on a pre-parade float designed to look like Headquarters from the film. Later in the year, Joy and Sadness made their way to Hong Kong Disneyland, where they appeared in a limited-time character greeting experience.
- More “Frozen” Fun – Anna, Elsa and Olaf were as popular as ever in 2015, traveling the world to bring a bit of Arendelle to Disney’s kingdoms on three continents. Unique “Frozen” entertainment experiences included sing-along celebrations, playgrounds with real snow, processionals through the parks and deck parties on Disney Cruise Line.
- Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade “Dreamlights” – This popular nighttime parade at Tokyo Disney Resort received an upgrade last summer, with an all-new “Tangled” float and seven other floats that were enhanced with dazzling new technological features.
- King Triton’s Concert – In the spring, Mermaid Lagoon Theater at Tokyo DisneySea saw the debut of this award-winning musical show that combines dynamic performances with puppetry, projections, Audio-Animatronics and special effects.
- Halloween – The Halloween season was bigger than ever at Disney Parks in 2015, with new shows opening around the world. The headliner was “Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular” at Magic Kingdom Park, starring the inimitable Sanderson Sisters. Other shows included “It’s Good to be Bad” with the Disney Villains at Disneyland Paris, “The Villains’ World” on Mediterranean Harbor at Tokyo DisneySea and several “Lost in Ghost Town” experiences as part of Haunted Halloween at Hong Kong Disneyland.
- Hong Kong Disneyland 10th Anniversary – Hong Kong Disneyland also marked their 10th anniversary this year, kicking off a year-long “Happily Ever After” celebration with the newly enhanced “Disney in the Stars” fireworks spectacular and the delightful new stage show, “Mickey and the Wondrous Book.”
- Sunset Showcase – An all-new entertainment venue opened this fall at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, designed to host a variety of different experiences over time. The premier engagement at Sunset Showcase is Club Disney, a super fun hangout filled with music, dancing, Disney characters and more. A special evening event, Club Villain, comes to the Sunset Showcase starting January 16, and more plans are in the works for the future.
- “Star Wars” – The Force has awakened at Disney Parks with the openings of Star Wars Launch Bay and “Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple” at both Disneyland park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios are now also thrilling to nightly performances of “Symphony in the Stars: A Galactic Spectacular,” an epic fireworks show featuring some of the most iconic music and audio clips from the entire “Star Wars” saga.
There’s been quite a lot happening in the world of Creative Entertainment this year, and 2016 promises to be greater still with additions like “Rivers of Light” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, an incredible new stage production of “Frozen” at Disney California Adventure park, the opening of Shanghai Disneyland and so much more.
Keep reading Disney Parks Blog all year long, and we’ll keep you up to speed on all the excitement to come. Happy new year!