Back in March, I shared my favorite warm eats for cool days, and now in June with temperatures on the rise, it’s the perfect time to share my favorite picks for light, refreshing meals and snacks. Here’s a guide to Disneyland Resort dishes that are perfect for summertime.
- Picnic Salad, Hungry Bear Restaurant – My favorite refreshing summertime salad with turkey breast, strawberries, feta, cranberries, roasted almonds and jicama. Try the Turkey Caesar Wrap if you’re looking for lunch on the go.
- Corn on the Cob, Edelweiss Snacks – Choose traditional buttered corn on the cob or the zesty chili-lime variety. Either way, you can’t go wrong with grilled corn in the summer.
- Baked Fish Tacos, Rancho del Zocalo – Topped with cool cabbage slaw and chipotle-ranch, these baked fish tacos are a light summertime staple.
- Crispy Chicken Mixed Green Salad, The Golden Horseshoe – Kick up your feet in the cool air conditioning and take in a live performance by Laughing Stock Co. If you’re not looking for a full meal, try one of the sundaes or an ice cream float.
- Mint Julep, Mint Julep Bar – Quench your thirst in New Orleans Square with this southern-inspired beverage that’s a Disneyland classic. Don’t forget the Mickey-shaped beignets, too!
Disney California Adventure park
- Edamame, Lucky Fortune Cookery – Served slightly chilled and lightly salted, edamame is a great snack on the go that won’t weigh you down. We also love the fresh mango slices!
- Salads in Sourdough Bread Bowls, Pacific Wharf Café – Choose from the Chinese Chicken Salad with diced chicken, fresh greens, wontons, almonds, carrots, sesame seeds and scallions in a soy-ginger dressing, or try the Chicken, Apple & Walnut Salad with tender chicken breast, crisp apples, celery and walnuts in a honey-lemon dressing served on fresh greens.
- Vietnamese Twice-Cooked Beef Taco, Carthay Circle Lounge – These delicious tacos are topped with a refreshingly cool pineapple-mint salsa. Extra credit if you order the Sample of Ice Cream Macaron Sandwiches for dessert!
- Smoothies, Schmoozies – My personal favorite is Mango Madness with mangos, peaches, banana and low-fat yogurt blended with orange, pineapple, guava and passion fruit juice.
- Cool drinks from Cozy Cone Motel – You’ll stay cool cruising down Route 66 with Redd’s Apple Freeze, Fillmore’s Fuelin’ Groovy Lemonade, Ramone’s “Pear of Dice” Soda, Doc’s Wild Grape Tonic or a “Route” Beer Float!
- Ahi Poke, Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar – Tuck into this tropical hideaway (you lucky people you) and enjoy Ahi Poke with sushi-grade Ahi, avocado, wasabi yuzu, sriracha aioli and wonton chips with a refreshing, tropical beverage.
- Also perfect for sunny California days on the Trader Sam’s patio are the Shrimp Tacos and Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- Seafood Cocktail, Hearthstone Lounge – This cool appetizer for a cozy watering hole features chilled shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, red onions and cucumbers in cocktail sauce.
- Chicken or Beef Nachos, White Water Snacks – Piled high with guacamole, sour cream, jalapeños and salsa, share them as a snack or have your own as a meal.
What’s your favorite thing to eat during the dog days of summer? Let us know in the comments below!
Rachel — I’m so glad to see that you did this article after all! I was the one who suggested it in the comments under your “15 Hot Eats for Cool Days” installment, and I remember that you said, “Challenge accepted!” Just today I was thinking, “I wonder if Rachel is working on the Cool Eats piece,” and then there it was — like magic!!! 🙂 You have mentioned a lot of food items that I suspect many folks wouldn’t have thought to seek out or try. Great ideas!
I tend to stick to the simple, tried and true delights — I can’t get enough of the deliciously refreshing pineapple spears (from fruit carts throughout both parks) on any warm day at Disneyland Resort (and here in Southern California, it can reach 90 degrees even in December). Sometimes I also enjoy a good root beer float from Gibson Girl. I like anything involving strawberry shortcake — so if Plaza Inn happens to be serving that up (sometimes they do), count me in!
I do remember childhood Disneyland trips when hot day treats included Welch’s Grape Juice popsicles, fresh lemonade on Tom Sawyer’s Island and “Space Mist” in Tomorrowland. 🙂
I agree with the pineapple spears, they’re one of my go-to treats! 😀
White Water Snacks nachos are my reason for living!!