This week we’re concluding our Halloween DIY Make-Up series with an amazing and intricate “Day of the Dead ”-inspired look.
Day of the Dead (or “Dia de los Muertos”) is a three-day celebration held throughout Mexico in which families celebrate the lives of loved ones who have passed. The skull images that are associated with the celebration were originally inspired by Latin American artist José Guadalupe Posada, who often featured skulls or skeleton characters in his work. Today skull-shaped treats and masks are often popular parts of the celebration.
If you’d like to create your own “Day of the Dead” skull look, check out the step-by-step makeup tutorial above. The key is a lot of black, white and bold colors for detail.
To view or share a Spanish-language version of this tutorial, click here.
Want more Halloween DIY tips and tricks? Check out our previous Halloween DIY tutorials below.
- ‘Pirates of The Caribbean’-Inspired Glamorous Pirate Make-Up Tutorial
- ‘Pirates of The Caribbean’-Inspired Makeup Tutorial
- Tower of Terror Bellhop Makeup Tutorial
- “Glamorous” Haunted Mansion Makeup Tutorial
- Haunted Mansion Maid Makeup Tutorial
- Make a “Witch Minnie” Candy Apple
- Create Your Own Haunted Mansion Butler Costume